Ride quality even worse than expected. Advice welcome.

-
Thanks again to all for the input...

can you post a pic of the lower control arm with the car at rest?

might also be a good idea to measure the compressed length of your shock, and then measure the distance between the shock mounts with the car at rest..compare...

I would not expect a shock that was designed to work acceptably on a stock suspension to be anywhere near matched in rate to a very heavy t-bar rate like a 1.14" diameter. The 1.14" bar has a rate that is 50% higher than a 1.03" T-Bar, and around 170% higher than a stock diameter T-Bar. So installing a shock designed with a lower rate, is going to give an underdamped suspension response to bumps, and an underdamped response will be 'jiggly'. So just mentioning that some cars ride well with 1.12" t-bars is not a complete answer without also knowing the shocks used.

And as has been said before in this thread, CT roads are very different ( a lot rougher) than roads in some other areas. This is usually not known/factored into discussions like this.

I would not expect a shock that was designed to work acceptably on a stock suspension to be anywhere near matched in rate to a very heavy t-bar rate like a 1.14" diameter. The 1.14" bar has a rate that is 50% higher than a 1.03" T-Bar, and around 170% higher than a stock diameter T-Bar. So installing a shock designed with a lower rate, is going to give an underdamped suspension response to bumps, and an underdamped response will be 'jiggly'. So just mentioning that some cars ride well with 1.12" t-bars is not a complete answer without also knowing the shocks used.

I'm running the "Hotchkis/Fox 1.5 Street Performance Series" shocks. IIRC people have had good luck with these with higher rate torsion bars. Is that not correct?

I'm running the "Hotchkis/Fox 1.5 Street Performance Series" shocks. IIRC people have had good luck with these with higher rate torsion bars. Is that not correct?

Pretty sure that is the suggested package. I think you are good with those shocks.

That's exactly what those shocks were designed for, and they work great with the 1.12" torsion bars I run. Better in fact than the Bilstein RCD's, which I also ran on my Duster for awhile with 1.12" bars. Not that the Bilsteins did a bad job, but the Hotchkis shocks do a better job controlling the 1.12's.

Personally, any person running t bars over an inch is probably applying principles that they wish they could apply to their dick.

I get a kick out of all the stiffening people do to their chassis after they run the biggest t bars and thickest leaves on the market cuz you know....

Bigger is better.

Like maybe the chassis doesn't need to be rock hard and rigid if their suspension on their STREET car has some compliance.

If you don't want a lumber wagon, stop building a lumber wagon.

And yes, I'm ready for the hate. Bring it.

You have to think about it differently. Our cars, although unibody were not very stiff. This is what's these cars feel loose and what makes them rattle and itch. New cars have chassis that are far stiffer than our cars could ever dream about. That stiffening enhances ride quality as it allows the suspension to operate independently of flexing the body. Ever notice new cars have that tight feeling? This is one of the reasons. Stiffening the chassis is a very important first step for updating a 50 yr old car.
As far as the t bars and springs are concerned, our cars were so under spring when new, it's not even funny. Mopar performance themselves even came out with the first updated t bars. Enhancing the roll couple is necessary to drive safely on modern roads. It's the combination where most people miss the mark. This is where you hear about cars that ride poorly or aren't safe to drive.
There are more good parts on the market now than ever. It takes research, money and skills to create something that is truly better than it was new. The bar is very high these days.

Personally, any person running t bars over an inch is probably applying principles that they wish they could apply to their dick.

I get a kick out of all the stiffening people do to their chassis after they run the biggest t bars and thickest leaves on the market cuz you know....

Bigger is better.

Like maybe the chassis doesn't need to be rock hard and rigid if their suspension on their STREET car has some compliance.

LOL is that also why people put stroked big-blocks in their street cars? Biggest tires that can fit in the wheel wells? Bigger rear axle? Big hood scoops? Let's be honest here, the real guys with dick-size issues are the ones driving 8" lifted 3/4-ton diesel trucks with 40" tires and dual 8" diameter exhaust stacks rolling coal everywhere.

I have 1" t-bars on my Duster and it rides better than it did with stock ones. Doesn't feel like the wheels are moving 4" up and down when hitting bumps and I can change lanes on the freeway without soiling my undies. Same goes for highway on- and off-ramps. And I have a lot more suspension upgrades planned, next will probably be subframe connectors though the torque from my current engine and torque converter twists the car pretty violently when I nail the gas.

Bigger is better.

I agree. ...I want the suspension to take all the bumps...not the chassis. If I understand it correctly, bigger stiffer bars would spring less, transferring all the shock to the chassis and then to my seat.

Jeff

You have to think about it differently. Our cars, although unibody were not very stiff. This is what's these cars feel loose and what makes them rattle and itch. New cars have chassis that are far stiffer than our cars could ever dream about. That stiffening enhances ride quality as it allows the suspension to operate independently of flexing the body. Ever notice new cars have that tight feeling? This is one of the reasons. Stiffening the chassis is a very important first step for updating a 50 yr old car.
As far as the t bars and springs are concerned, our cars were so under spring when new, it's not even funny. Mopar performance themselves even came out with the first updated t bars. Enhancing the roll couple is necessary to drive safely on modern roads. It's the combination where most people miss the mark. This is where you hear about cars that ride poorly or aren't safe to drive.
There are more good parts on the market now than ever. It takes research, money and skills to create something that is truly better than it was new. The bar is very high these days.

This is a well-written post that I can, to a fairly large degree, agree with. See more below.

I agree. ...I want the suspension to take all the bumps...not the chassis. If I understand it correctly, bigger stiffer bars would spring less, transferring all the shock to the chassis and then to my seat.

Jeff
This is my point of view for 99% of our cars. As I interpreted the original post, 'I installed huge T-bars. Why is my ride so stiff?' Basic trouble-shooting still applies. Bottoming out the suspension in any car is a really bad thing when cornering, yet several said, 'if it's bottoming out, trim the stops for more travel' which should be a huge red flag to any dedicated cornering enthusiast.

Chassis rigidity is a huge part of any proper-handling vehicle, and yes, our old-*** cars have plenty of flex. I agree with GMachine that increasing chassis rigidity, better tires, wider wheels, etc. opens the doors increasing spring rates, improved valving in shocks, etc. Absolutely, 100%, I agree.

That said, my point is that for most folks, they're heading towards the suspension equivalent of this:
Double-trouble.jpg5_.jpg

Or did I mis-remember the whole '80's "Pro Street" thing?

It takes research, money and skills to create something that is truly better than it was new.

I am 100% positive that most people that use a level of research that involves clicking a mouse on the 'add to cart' button for biggest T-bars out there. I've said for years: If somebody makes it for your car, someone out there will buy it, and install it; it doesn't matter what 'it' is. See Pro-Street comment above.

Most racers would gladly accept a spring rate that would drive 99% of the population nuts. Or else cars would already have those rates.

I don't see anybody asking what's the final usage of the car, and that should be the first question being asked. It sure would be if this was a cam selection question...

Last edited:

Jeff

You’re radically oversimplifying. Your slant 6 bars aren’t “taking all the bumps” either. They’re being overloaded, which causes the suspension to bottom out, which transfers suspension energy directly to the frame in the form of a violent collision. Which is exactly why you have a thread about making the ride on your car smoother, even though you have really soft torsion bars already.

These cars were undersprung from the factory. They were designed around using a bias ply tire, which has a very stiff sidewall and a fraction of the grip offered by even the BFG T/A radials most run. Thinking that you can swap out the tires and significantly change their capabilities without changing the suspension is a big mistake.

No, not everyone will want to use 1.12” bars, the car has to be built up to take advantage of bars that large. But by the same token, no one should run /6 bars on the street with radial tires, even on an otherwise stock car. Those are just as much of a mismatch as running 1.12’s without additional modifications.

Suspension has to be matched to the rest of the car. Lower your car and run better tires, you need larger bars for the suspension to do its job. The factory suspension set up is a mismatch at that point.

This is a well-written post that I can, to a fairly large degree, agree with. See more below.

This is my point of view for 99% of our cars. As I interpreted the original post, 'I installed huge T-bars. Why is my ride so stiff?' Basic trouble-shooting still applies. Bottoming out the suspension in any car is a really bad thing when cornering, yet several said, 'if it's bottoming out, trim the stops for more travel' which should be a huge red flag to any dedicated cornering enthusiast.

Chassis rigidity is a huge part of any proper-handling vehicle, and yes, our old-*** cars have plenty of flex. I agree with GMachine that increasing chassis rigidity, better tires, wider wheels, etc. opens the doors increasing spring rates, improved valving in shocks, etc. Absolutely, 100%, I agree.

That said, my point is that for most folks, they're heading towards the suspension equivalent of this:
View attachment 1715343722

Or did I mis-remember the whole '80's "Pro Street" thing?

I am 100% positive that most people that use a level of research that involves clicking a mouse on the 'add to cart' button for biggest T-bars out there. I've said for years: If somebody makes it for your car, someone out there will buy it, and install it; it doesn't matter what 'it' is. See Pro-Street comment above.

Most racers would gladly accept a spring rate that would drive 99% of the population nuts. Or else cars would already have those rates.

I don't see anybody asking what's the final usage of the car, and that should be the first question being asked. It sure would be if this was a cam selection question...

Unfortunately you’ve missed the mark. The OP is setting his car up for fairly aggressive street handling. I know this because we’ve had more than a few conversations on this board and by direct message. Although really you can pull most of that out of the very first post, it’s pretty clear this car is being set up for handling.

It’s also very clear in the very first post that the OP thinks there’s something going on that’s more than just “ I installed big torsion bars and the car rides stiff”. He said it rides stiffer than he expected, and that’s different. Not only that, but more than a few people that run the same or larger torsion bars as the OP have agreed with him, myself included. His issues are not because of the size of the torsion bars. He has a different suspension problem.

Your opinion on people buying large torsion bars is also just flat out misinformed. Sure, I'm sure there are some people that just buy a large torsion bar without fully understanding how to set up the rest of the suspension and chassis around that choice. But there are also a lot of people out there that have the completely misinformed opinion that the factory torsion bars will give you the proper ride quality with radial tires. That's a far more ignorant a position than just buying a big torsion bar and expecting your car to handle well. The factory suspension was not designed for radial tires. It doesn't have the proper suspension geometry, the proper range of alignment adjustments, or a high enough wheel rate. Period. Regardless of the use of the car, if you change to radials, you should not be using the factory suspension specs. Any of them.

As for the bump stop deal, again, you're misinformed. No one here just said "if it's bottoming out cut the bump stops". It's way more complicated than that. There are VERY legitimate reasons to run shorter bump stops on an old Mopar that is being set up for handling. Back to- the factory set up is WRONG. The factory geometry sets the suspension to have positive camber gain. That's bad for radials. It sets it up with 0 or negative caster. That's BAD for radials. It used very soft torsion bars, and coupled those with very tall, soft bump stops. That's because the factory was using the bump stops as part of the suspension. They didn't have the shock technology to run large diameter torsion bars and control them well enough for a decent ride. And it was the 70's, and the novel trend at the time was a marshmallow soft suspension. So the torsion bars were small, and the bump stops were big and soft. Basically, the factory was using the bump stops as a secondary spring, and counted on them being used as part of the suspension.

Well, that's all terrible by modern standards. Add radial tires and you darn near double the grip of the original bias plys. Add radials and all of the alignment specs are wrong, you want negative camber gain and positive caster. How do you deal with that? You lower the car. With the UCA parallel to the ground the camber gain is negative. There's more caster. But you lost suspension travel. So, how do you make that up? Two ways. One, you increase the wheel rate. There isn't a modern car on the road that runs a wheel rate that isn't close to double what these cars had from the factory, it was that bad. The factory suspension needed a lot of travel because it was undersprung. Larger torsion bars up the wheel rate, and less travel is needed for the same suspension input. And then the second one, you run shorter bump stops. But that's not as big a problem as you think. The factory was using the bump stops as suspension, and a /6 car hits the bump stops all the time. We're not going to. The larger bar, paired with the shorter bump stop, better shocks, and the appropriate ride height for the wheel rate shouldn't hit the bump stops very often, if at all. So the bump stop can be smaller, as it will only be used infrequently (assuming the car is set up properly). That improves handling by itself, because you're not constantly transitioning on and off the bump stops and changing the wheel rate.

Suspension is a system, and there are always trade offs. Sure, I'd prefer to run larger bump stops than I do, because it would give me some more "wiggle room" in my ride height tuning. But I'd rather have better suspension geometry, and if I've done my research and tuned properly I'm not hitting the bump stops like a factory car. The large torsion bars are taking up all bumps, the bump stops aren't being used, and the suspension geometry is right. And not only does the car handle better, it RIDES better than some /6 torsion bar car that's beating the bump stops to death on a trip around the block.

Just a quick update-
So those of you suspecting lack of suspension travel were right on, at least partially. I raised the front end up a few turns on the adjusters and that immediately reduced the problem by 30% or so.

Secondly, the car now has the subframe connectors and torque boxes welded in...and that made an even bigger difference. Honestly, it's probably the best change I've ever made for this car and that includes all of the driveline work. Somehow the car feels better in every way- steering, handling, braking, accelerating; the car just moves differently. I should have done this years ago!

So in addition to hitting the bump stops, I believe that the stiffer suspension was just exacerbating looseness in the chassis. Before the reinforcements, all of the vibrations and bumps were making the whole thing jiggle in a very unsettling way. The ride quality is still far from comfortable but it's approximately what I expected with the stiff springs/bars.

Next steps will be a performance alignment, lower profile font bump stops...and possibly a raising up the rear by 1/2". I hate to raise the cg any more than necessary but it's currently on Hotchkis lowering leaf springs and 1.5" blocks. Maybe that was just a bit too much.

Just a quick update-
So those of you suspecting lack of suspension travel were right on, at least partially. I raised the front end up a few turns on the adjusters and that immediately reduced the problem by 30% or so.

Secondly, the car now has the subframe connectors and torque boxes welded in...and that made an even bigger difference. Honestly, it's probably the best change I've ever made for this car and that includes all of the driveline work. Somehow the car feels better in every way- steering, handling, braking, accelerating; the car just moves differently. I should have done this years ago!

So in addition to hitting the bump stops, I believe that the stiffer suspension was just exacerbating looseness in the chassis. Before the reinforcements, all of the vibrations and bumps were making the whole thing jiggle in a very unsettling way. The ride quality is still far from comfortable but it's approximately what I expected with the stiff springs/bars.

Next steps will be a performance alignment, lower profile font bump stops...and possibly a raising up the rear by 1/2". I hate to raise the cg any more than necessary but it's currently on Hotchkis lowering leaf springs and 1.5" blocks. Maybe that was just a bit too much.

Nice to hear about the chassis stiffening mods, now I want to put in subframe connectors and torque boxes even more if the difference is that noticeable! I have a buddy who works at a local metal supply warehouse as well so I should be able to fab my own for real cheap.

Just a quick update-

When it's all said and done, you'll need to set your bumpstop-to-frame clearance at close to 1". With the 1.14" bars you might be able to get away with a little less than that, but not much. Anything much less than that is going to mean bottoming out the suspension.

On my car with the 1.12" bars I'm just under 1" of clearance. And really that puts the one header flange at just under 4" of clearance to the ground, which is about the limit for a street driver around here IMHO. I already have to be careful taking large speed bumps. And that's with a set of Doug's, the long tube TTI's would be lower than that and other than shorties or manifolds you can't do any better for ground clearance.

@MRGTX I was meaning to reply before but forgot, I would recommend doing away with the lowering blocks in the rear and instead flipping the front spring hangers. It won't sit quite as low as it would with the blocks but I personally really don't like the idea of lift/lowering blocks, IMO not the correct way to change ride height with leaf springs. Seems like moving the axle assembly away from the leaves would change how the rear suspension works, in a bad way.

@MRGTX I was meaning to reply before but forgot, I would recommend doing away with the lowering blocks in the rear and instead flipping the front spring hangers. It won't sit quite as low as it would with the blocks but I personally really don't like the idea of lift/lowering blocks, IMO not the correct way to change ride height with leaf springs. Seems like moving the axle assembly away from the leaves would change how the rear suspension works, in a bad way.

I appreciate the input...and I see where you're coming from.
I just bought 1" drop blocks (to swap out the 1.5" blocks) so it will have a bit more travel but I'll definitely look at flipping the hangars as well.

While I agree it would be better not to have to use blocks, flipping the hangers isn't "free". It raises the front of the spring with respect to the rear, which also changes the squat characteristics of the rear suspension. So unless you also raise the rear hangers you're changing suspension geometry.

Plus, I think you're overstating the downside of the blocks. Yes, they also change things. But Ford 4WD trucks came with 4" blocks right from the factory for years. And then there's this guy-

IMG_6115 copy.JPG

GurneyAARrearsuspension-1 copy.jpg

Sure, there are probably other reasons that the Gurney car has blocks and obviously there's a lot going on with that rear suspension. But a 1" block isn't a big deal.

-
Back