Road handling axle width

-

stroker416

Destroyer of Legend at C/S Speed LLC
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there running their A-Body on road courses or just making a serious handling "g-machine"?

If so, are you running a stock axle length?

And please no preachers or scientists. this isnt my first rodeo. I just want a simple answer, so please no one who wants to impress themselves reply. Just stick me with an axle length or two and I'll figure out the rest.

Thanks in advance.
Stroker

My son's 67 Barracuda has a stock width A-body 8-3/4 with big bolt axles and brakes, so it's slightly wider than the small bolt version. The car hasn't been on a road course, but has autocrossed and done well. Springs are home-cobbled stiffer than stock in the stock location.

Anyone out there running their A-Body on road courses or just making a serious handling "g-machine"?

If so, are you running a stock axle length?

And please no preachers or scientists. this isnt my first rodeo. I just want a simple answer, so please no one who wants to impress themselves reply. Just stick me with an axle length or two and I'll figure out the rest.

Thanks in advance.
Stroker

Wide as you can get in the wheel wells. But not much wider that front. Leafs as close as possible to inside of tire for spring leverage and roll resistance.

Most all serious forms of head up racing have a max tread width rule and max tire and rim width rule.

Here's a National Championship winning SCCA autocross car...

With those you have a limit because the width makes it tougher to slalom through cone and tight course. Still this cuda is wide.

5822575-CPcuda05NatsJohnSm.jpg

5822575-SandbergRedAARCuda1.jpg

Love the wide 5's on those Cuda's. I have thought of building a street version of a oval track or road course car with wide 5's. Wonder if that would be legal on the street.

Wild guys. Thanks for the quick replies. I greatly appreciate it. Sorry if i came off sounding like a prick in the original post...just have trouble on these forums weeding out the bs and the truth...

Stroker

-
Back