Roller cam opinions

-

bignasty123

Reaction score
Ok my car on the dyno decided to mess up one of my exhaust valves are stuck so I'm gonna tear it down again ported eddy heads, 11 to1 408 stroker...

So since I'm going to tear it down again, what do u think I should run for a roller cam set up. I have a shop built carb, ported victor intake too. Any imput is cool. I wanna go roller. Maybe a cheaper version of behive springs too.mthey cost alot

I'd suggest calling calling someone like Scott Brown for a custom cam. Had one his solid rollers in my 418, more than happy with it

I love roller cams! You wanna go solid or hyd (I have a hyd roller in my 340)? Just both check the gear on the cam and get the correct intermiate shaft gear as well. Do know that you'll have to open up the pushrod holes to make it work.

I love roller cams! You wanna go solid or hyd (I have a hyd roller in my 340)? Just both check the gear on the cam and get the correct intermiate shaft gear as well. Do know that you'll have to open up the pushrod holes to make it work.

Not necessarily, my 410 has a small solid roller (248/254 @0.05, .576/.582 lift) that didn't need any clearancing in the push-rod area.

What is the intended use of the car (race, street, street/strip)?
What rockers are you using?
Are you keeping that 3500 stall converter (I hope not)?
Gears?
Weight?

Just FYI, you will need about 1200 bucks to make the swap (assuming your rockers are up to snuff)....but closer to 2 grand if you get a good converter too.

call brian at IMM. He picked my solid roller for my dart. My engine builder questioned the LSA and said it would be a dog. Even had long time mopar racers tell me i would run 7.20-7.50 et range if i used it. 6.83 last saturday on just the cars 5th pass ever. Got way more in it, too. Brian knows his stuff and will get you where you wanna be. (How was that, Brian?) LOL!

call brian at IMM. He picked my solid roller for my dart. My engine builder questioned the LSA and said it would be a dog. Even had long time mopar racers tell me i would run 7.20-7.50 et range if i used it. 6.83 last saturday on just the cars 5th pass ever. Got way more in it, too. Brian knows his stuff and will get you where you wanna be. (How was that, Brian?) LOL!

Mabe your engine builder is right. I run a solid flat tappet cam from Hughes engines in my 11.6 to 1 408 with edelbrock heads and my dart runs 6.30s in the 1/8 at over 105 mph. Unless you try different cams you never know how much more performance you have left in the car. .

Mabe your engine builder is right. I run a solid flat tappet cam from Hughes engines in my 11.6 to 1 408 with edelbrock heads and my dart runs 6.30s in the 1/8 at over 105 mph. Unless you try different cams you never know how much more performance you have left in the car. .

I posted my cars actual ET vs what everyone told me that it would do based on the cam specs. I did it to prove that Brian knows what he is doing at IMM and show the OP why I was suggesting him. I didn't list any specs at all about my combination for you to compare what I have to what you have. for all you know I could have a 273 in a 3600 lbs car.

whats even more odd is that you posted ANOTHER picture of your car doing a huge wheel stand. what exactly does that have to do with a question about roller cams?

we all know you have a fast car and you pull huge wheel stands. thats fantastic.

on with the roller cam talk......

I have a BB street car with a solid roller and a SB street-strip car with the same, both are doing great.
The BB has about 3000 miles on it and the SB has 9500 street miles and about 65 1/4 mile passes.
I have done Hot Rod Drag week two times, driven to Las Vegas and back once from Phx. and drive the SB car to work a fair amount.
The lifters have never been rebuilt .
Brian at IMM built the SB and the lifters are from Comp.
But as stated above you really should have very good rocker arms and valve springs.
If your heads have not been ported you may want to spend the money there first.

Attachments

• drag-week-2012-final-day-saturday-tulsa-7519-650x487.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 293
I have a BB street car with a solid roller and a SB street-strip car with the same, both are doing great.
The BB has about 3000 miles on it and the SB has 9500 street miles and about 65 1/4 mile passes.
I have done Hot Rod Drag week two times, driven to Las Vegas and back once from Phx. and drive the SB car to work a fair amount.
The lifters have never ben rebuilt .
Brian at IMM built the SB and the lifters are from Comp.
But as stated above you really should have very good rocker arms and valve springs.
If your heads have not ben ported you may want to spend the money there first.

I agree with this. I already had 1.5 ratio Harland Sharps when I stumbled onto Brian and had him do a set of RHS heads for me and pick the cam. I also have the comp solid rollers in my engine. Brian said it would almost be a requirment to use PAC springs with what I wanted. it was expensive, but I listened and I don't ever think about how much it costs now.

with the Eddy heads you may be able to go with a different spring. I'm not sure if what we did on the PAC springs were because of a limitation in the RHS spring pocket/runners or not. Brian will shoot you straight, either way.

Thanks for all the replys
My eddy heads are ported, I do need t get a good valve spring for the cam I pick. The car is a pro street car. Track and local car shows. I just want to do it one more time and be done with it. Seems like I've whipped lobes n 3 cams in the past 2 yrs.im just gonna do roller this time. Thanks for all ur replys. Ill call mrl or Imm today

I posted my cars actual ET vs what everyone told me that it would do based on the cam specs. I did it to prove that Brian knows what he is doing at IMM and show the OP why I was suggesting him. I didn't list any specs at all about my combination for you to compare what I have to what you have. for all you know I could have a 273 in a 3600 lbs car.

whats even more odd is that you posted ANOTHER picture of your car doing a huge wheel stand. what exactly does that have to do with a question about roller cams?

we all know you have a fast car and you pull huge wheel stands. thats fantastic.

I understand your frustration,to spend all that money( your own words) and then your car don't run all that good I would be angry also. My point is that a rollercam is not necessary to make good power and my motor is proof of that. Haters will always hate. By the way I have 5100. total in my whole motor .Whats Darrylsdart burnout pic have to do with roller cams?
Keep swinging on brians ballsack. lol

I understand your frustration,to spend all that money( your own words) and then your car don't run all that good I would be angry also. My point is that a rollercam is not necessary to make good power and my motor is proof of that. Haters will always hate. By the way I have 5100. total in my whole motor .Whats Darrylsdart burnout pic have to do with roller cams?
Keep swinging on brians ballsack. lol

like I said before, I didn't list any specifics about my combination or my car. as said, for all you know I have a 273 in a 3600 pound car. so, for you to tell me that my car doesn't run good is idiotic on your part. but please.....tell me more about my car that you have never been around.

you say your point is that a roller cam is not necessary to make good power and your motor is proof of that. the problem with that is that the OP didn't ask if he should go with a roller for more power. he stated that he was going with a roller and wanted to know about what set ups were best. he never said a word about wanting to make more power.

you can try to play it off if you want, but the simple fact is that you thought this was a good place to dump how cool you are all over us. thats because you sir, are a showman. you are one of those fine gentleman who wants everyone to look at you and what your car can do. the type of guy who wants to be seen, and who wants a big pat on the back for just being so dang cool. well friend, if there was a button for me to click on here that would give you that pat on the back, I would move the mouse over to it and just click the crap out of it as fast as I could. then the rest of us could have a conversation about things and you could go on and be happy for a while. I have read a few other threads on the site where folks have called you out for the same thing. on this very thread one man has already got a laugh out of you stroking your ego. however, they must all just be jealous because you are faster and pull bigger wheel stands than they do.

now, as far as your haters will always hate comment....I am not a hater of you sir. I love the fact that you are so fast and pull such big wheel stands. I love it because I think its cool that after someone slow like me puts your fast wheel standing ego out in the 1st round, that you can get from one end of the pits to the other in 6.30 seconds and wheel stand it right up on the trailer without having to put the ramps out. that sir is cool.

I'm done.

P.S.- if you are gonna keep showing off the bottom of your car doing those wheel stands then how about get under there and clean things up a little bit. a dirty and cruddy underside is not cool for a guy with such an ego.

Well I get it. I don't care how fast someone's car is. I just was venting my frustrations. I don't care about power. My car not running right ran 7.40s in the 1/8th mile and on the dyno it gained another 40 hp at the tire before exhaust valve stuck open.

I want to go roller just to make the motor more fluid and run better i have plenty of power and I lay down 1.5 60 ft short times. More power is gonna come sooner or later but I just want it to be reliable and not flatten damn lobes rollers don't flatten lobes.

Thanks for all the insight and opinions

Well I get it. I don't care how fast someone's car is. I just was venting my frustrations. I don't care about power. My car not running right ran 7.40s in the 1/8th mile and on the dyno it gained another 40 hp at the tire before exhaust valve stuck open.

I want to go roller just to make the motor more fluid and run better i have plenty of power and I lay down 1.5 60 ft short times. More power is gonna come sooner or later but I just want it to be reliable and not flatten damn lobes rollers don't flatten lobes.

Thanks for all the insight and opinions

sorry for the vent on your thread, but there are just some things you have to address. I'm done with it now, lol.

Hope you got to talk to the shop of your choice today, and got some better clarification on the subject. you are correct that more power will come. if you go to a roller you will get more power if the grind is right for your combo. solid roller vs solid flat tappet gets debated sometimes. however, the lob profile on a roller has advantages over the flat tappet.

I'm not getting into all that crap though, because you probably already know it, and your not asking which to choose.

let us know how it goes.

Don't trip I call out people all the time. I'm going solid roller in the future custom grind from mike at mrl

like I said before, I didn't list any specifics about my combination or my car. as said, for all you know I have a 273 in a 3600 pound car. so, for you to tell me that my car doesn't run good is idiotic on your part. but please.....tell me more about my car that you have never been around.

you say your point is that a roller cam is not necessary to make good power and your motor is proof of that. the problem with that is that the OP didn't ask if he should go with a roller for more power. he stated that he was going with a roller and wanted to know about what set ups were best. he never said a word about wanting to make more power.

you can try to play it off if you want, but the simple fact is that you thought this was a good place to dump how cool you are all over us. thats because you sir, are a showman. you are one of those fine gentleman who wants everyone to look at you and what your car can do. the type of guy who wants to be seen, and who wants a big pat on the back for just being so dang cool. well friend, if there was a button for me to click on here that would give you that pat on the back, I would move the mouse over to it and just click the crap out of it as fast as I could. then the rest of us could have a conversation about things and you could go on and be happy for a while. I have read a few other threads on the site where folks have called you out for the same thing. on this very thread one man has already got a laugh out of you stroking your ego. however, they must all just be jealous because you are faster and pull bigger wheel stands than they do.

now, as far as your haters will always hate comment....I am not a hater of you sir. I love the fact that you are so fast and pull such big wheel stands. I love it because I think its cool that after someone slow like me puts your fast wheel standing ego out in the 1st round, that you can get from one end of the pits to the other in 6.30 seconds and wheel stand it right up on the trailer without having to put the ramps out. that sir is cool.

I'm done.

P.S.- if you are gonna keep showing off the bottom of your car doing those wheel stands then how about get under there and clean things up a little bit. a dirty and cruddy underside is not cool for a guy with such an ego.

What a dumbass. lisas dart has won more bracket races than most people dream about.The last 2 years she made it down to the last 5 cars at the ET finals in a 175 car field. Lisa and I have 7 track championchips between us and wallys to prove it. Look in the January 31 issue of National Dragster under member tracks /division seven results and you will see both our names for winning and runner up in bracket racing. I have been building and racing cars for over 25 years and have several customer race cars at the track that have won many races also.Yes I am proud of lisa car and the progress it has made over the years but saying i have an IGO is just taliking out your *** because there are alot nicer cars at the track than my Dart . I post to help people because I have some very good life experience in the race world but its people like you who just open up their wallet and don't have a clue on the mechanical end of their car and then think they have all the awnsers on these forums.

It is not my intent to come on here and turn it to a bash session but it seem to happen more often than not, and that is why alot of real good/smart people refuse to en gauge in internet forums.

Install that roller cam and go have some fun...Later

What a dumbass. lisas dart has won more bracket races than most people dream about.The last 2 years she made it down to the last 5 cars at the ET finals in a 175 car field. Lisa and I have 7 track championchips between us and wallys to prove it. Look in the January 31 issue of National Dragster under member tracks /division seven results and you will see both our names for winning and runner up in bracket racing. I have been building and racing cars for over 25 years and have several customer race cars at the track that have won many races also.Yes I am proud of lisa car and the progress it has made over the years but saying i have an IGO is just taliking out your *** because there are alot nicer cars at the track than my Dart . I post to help people because I have some very good life experience in the race world but its people like you who just open up their wallet and don't have a clue on the mechanical end of their car and then think they have all the awnsers on these forums.

It is not my intent to come on here and turn it to a bash session but it seem to happen more often than not, and that is why alot of real good/smart people refuse to en gauge in internet forums.

Install that roller cam and go have some fun...Later

its cause we are all jealous of you. It has zero to do with you. you being involved in so many of these sessions is only a coincidence.

by the way.....me and John Force have 16 Funny Car world championships between us.

You and Lisa whoever, get you some of that.

-
Back