roller rockers /stock heads

-
Here is the deal I have a set of roller rockers with .400 offset I know that stock heads do not need the offset but will there be a problem if i install them. I just do not want to find out there is clearance problems the hard way.

THere off set for a reason they wont work on a stock head. There off set for heads that require off set rockers.

will .400 offset roller rockers work with stock 346 heads??

You want to run these rockers because you already own them and you don't want to spend the money for new ones right? I don't blame you! I'd do the same thing.

If you shim the rockers on the shafts so they stay centered over the valve tips, I think you'll be just fine. You always have to check to make sure the pushrods don't hit the heads, but you have to check those things anyway. I bet they will clear everything just fine. Some aftermarket rockers are .800" offset. Ones that are .400" offset are designed to take any pressure from the offset. Go for it.

You'll be messing up the pushrod angles by trying to shim them over the valve. Just sell or trade for what you need. The offsets are worth a little more anyway.

You'll be messing up the pushrod angles by trying to shim them over the valve. Just sell or trade for what you need. The offsets are worth a little more anyway.

I don't understand.

Are you recommending that you do not shim roller rockers to keep the roller tips directly over the valve stem tip?

Do not ALL offset rockers for Chrysler have some inherent pushrod angulation resulting from the offset?

I guess I don't understand your confusion. I don't know you so I don't know if you're trying to be funny or you really think it can work.

I don't know about "all" rockers and I learn something almost every day. So maybe you know something everyone else doesn't. I've attached a picture pirated from Mopar Action. Top are std B/RB rollers, with the typical "rh"/"lh" offset. The bottom are Indy/Max Wedge type .400 offset.

Attachments

• mop_offset_rockers.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 334
Well, the lifter stays in the same hole whether it's the .800" offset Indy max wedge rocker or the .400" rockers that rcrobdog has. If the pushrod can stand to be .800" over with the Indy rocker, it can stand .400" with the other rocker.

There is nothing but air in the direction you're offsetting the rocker adjusting screw. The pushrod will clear the head bolt and the bolt boss on the head.

'member, I onli got 52 yuh know.

The angulation I was referring to comes from the additional offset from aftermarket rockers to clear the wider ports of aftermarket heads. Stock offset rockers are of course directly over the lifter bores.

By-the-by, I don't think it can work. I know it can work.

You got 52 what?
You got something...lol. But nothing I'm interested in duplicating nor would I advise anyone to.
I'm also pretty sure there's a reasun whi Mopar and the uder manafcksherers make dem.

I guess I don't understand your confusion. I don't know you so I don't know if you're trying to be funny or you really think it can work.

I don't know about "all" rockers and I learn something almost every day. So maybe you know something everyone else doesn't. I've attached a picture pirated from Mopar Action. Top are std B/RB rollers, with the typical "rh"/"lh" offset. The bottom are Indy/Max Wedge type .400 offset.

And the point, in relation to the man's question, is?

You got 52 what?
You got something...lol. But nothing I'm interested in duplicating nor would I advise anyone to.
I'm also pretty sure there's a reasun whi Mopar and the uder manafcksherers make dem.

I'm sure you're correct about manafcksherers making "dem" for a reason, whatever dey are.

I wish we could get on the same page, even the same book would be nice. But first we've got to get to the same library.

I'm completely baffled. Why won't .400" offset rockers work on factory iron heads? Because they angle the pushrod?
Don't the .400" offset rockers angle the pushrod on aftermarket heads?

How about dat hole dah pushrod be going thru? Do you tink maybe dayz gonna needz be egged a bit fo clarance?

T out it simply,a max wedge casting or indy head has too wide of an intake runner and the normal pushrod/rocker would simply be where the intake runner is. You need the offset rockers with heads like my max wedge stage vi's.

To use them on a stock head would ruin the good pushrod geometry of the stock system.

How about dat hole dah pushrod be going thru? Do you tink maybe dayz gonna needz be egged a bit fo clarance?

Is this a serious question? Have you ever looked at a factor big block iron head with the valve cover removed?

T out it simply,a max wedge casting or indy head has too wide of an intake runner and the normal pushrod/rocker would simply be where the intake runner is. You need the offset rockers with heads like my max wedge stage vi's.

To use them on a stock head would ruin the good pushrod geometry of the stock system.

So the question was......Will the .400" offset rockers work on a 346 head.

Answer..........YES......AND.......The pushrod geometry will be "ruined" just like it is "ruined" on your Max Wedge Stage VI's. With that "ruined" pushrod geometry your engine still works just fine, don't it?

SEE, we do agree!

I'm curious to see these big block heads with pushrod holes.

iq52. your completley wrong. no way no how is using .400 offset rockers on a factory head going to work without major modification. he should either buy heads that use the offset rockers, or like said above trade or sell them to get stock style rockers. if you think shimming them is the end all be all fix for the heads and rockers i would love to see the nunk you slap together for your car

So the question was......Will the .400" offset rockers work on a 346 head.

Answer..........YES......AND.......The pushrod geometry will be "ruined" just like it is "ruined" on your Max Wedge Stage VI's. With that "ruined" pushrod geometry your engine still works just fine, don't it?

SEE, we do agree![/QUOTE]

Well maybe not ruined,but certainly not ideal. Agreed motors run like that all the time,but it is an alteration from stock.

And mopar engineers did it better than the rest.

Anyways,go ahead and mount those offset rockers and let us know.

iq52. your completley wrong. no way no how is using .400 offset rockers on a factory head going to work without major modification. he should either buy heads that use the offset rockers, or like said above trade or sell them to get stock style rockers. if you think shimming them is the end all be all fix for the heads and rockers i would love to see the nunk you slap together for your car

And you know this because YOU'VE tried it? RIGHT?

You shim them on the rocker shafts to hold the roller tip over the center of the valve tip, like this:http://s1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/heyoldguy/?action=view&current=greg496watson427094.jpg

and the whole thing looks like this:http://s1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/heyoldguy/?action=view&current=greg496watson427095.jpg

The above "nuck" was a 496 with RPM heads and a single 4bbl that made 642hp @ 5800rpm and 642tq at 4600rpm, 600tq from 3500-5500rpm on 91 octane.

This next "nuck" was a 451 with RPM heads and a single 4bbl on 91 octane.

http://s1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/heyoldguy/?action=view&current=IMG_0001.jpg

Yeah, that's right 786.9hp @7200rpm

How's about this small block "nuck". A set of Indy RHS LA 360X heads that we set up to use Chevy stud mounted rockers for .750" lift and 8000rpm:

http://s1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/heyoldguy/?action=view&current=2010MoparNatsandChenowethcontestengine037.jpg

The last "nuck" in the coffin being [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbZ8jGq6x1c"]Jim LaRoy Pulls 696.48 horsepower - YouTube[/ame] the 500ci wedge, single Dominator on Victor heads and E85 for fuel.

Yeah I know. It's midnight:41AM and I'm tired of trying.

Just quit tryin Jim. You caint convince a brick wall. Had a GREAT time chattin with you at the Nats, BTW. Or have I told you that already? Almost 700 HP at the wheels. That's ludicrous. lol

will .400 offset roller rockers work with stock 346 heads??

let's look at it this way. when you use stock size push rods everything fits fine, in other words the 5/16" diameter doesn't hit the heads intake port. now when we step up our program and go to a 3/8" push rod it will hit the the intake port and will need a tad of grinding to clear the head. now if you go to a 7/16" rod you'll have to grind even more out to the point of braking into the port, not real good in any ones book. so to avoid all this lets say we install .400" offset intake rockers. we won't have to grind anything at all because the offset rocker moved the push rod away from the intake port and we're good. so they will work just fine on your heads, any stock head for the matter. did the pushrod angle change, you bet is did, a few degrees for sure. also the pushrod just got shorter by a thousandth of and inch. who really cares, some one building a superstock motor, you bet he does but us i don't think so. the shorter pushrod can be built longer which we all do when we build our motors to get the correct pushrod geometry. the angle you will need to move the lifter over to correct it. that's a tad more dollares then we are willing to shell out. it will also require a different cam lobe placement etc.etc. so in essence just go ahead and use them they will work just fine. you aren't building a swiss watch here.
also if you never want to destoy the pushrod angle you'll never get passed a stock head with stock parts.
i hope this clears it up for you and answered your question.

OK, I managed to get a few pictures available up above. I'm not good at this computer garbage.

-
Back