Since we don't have an audio section...

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I didn't know for sure where to put this, so here it is.

I had a customer the other day hand me a brand new Kindle Fire HD Color still in the box and say "I don't have a use in the world for this" so of course I accepted.

After days of checking it out and considering the possibilities, I am going to put it semi permanant in my Dart. :)
I have the 5 volt (also Kindle voltage) voltage regulator from when I was using factory guages so I will wire that in as a charger/power supply for the Kindle, and my stereo has an auxilliary input on the rear of it to connect it up.
I have already made a cable to connect it in the car and have tested it with my music since it has a 5 gigabyte storage capacity. ( only about 3,000 mp3 songs) :)

Here's one of the really interesting things about it.
It has wireless internet, so whenever I am anywhere with wifi it can connect to the internet.
It automatically connects at my house and my Brothers house because I had the Kindle over there on his wireless before and it remembers previously used networks and auto connects to them next time they are in range.
I can use it at a touch screen music player, a digital alarm clock, a calendar, an appointment scheduler and a few other things without internet.
I can add music or whatever to my account for the Amazon Cloud Player, and when I go out to the car the kindle has access to the new stuff I added.

Once it comes into range of a wifi hotspot it connects to the internet and sync's with the free Amazon cloud storage account allowing me to download, play or view any of 5 more gigabytes of music, documents, pictures, or any other digital media I wish to access. (or download to the car)
It can sync with my Google account online calendar also.
(The wife could add things to my Google calendar from the home and when it sync's with the Kindle I would see the additions in the car) IF I decide to show her how.:booty:

When it is connected to any wifi hotspot it has full internet access to FABO, Youtube, email or anything any laptop, tablet, or desktop computer has available.
Weather, GPS, maps, music, video's, you name it.
(I have not yet figured out if I can network print with it yet, but it's not a big deal if it wont') :)

I am setting up the wiring necessary today, and will fab a bracket for it that flips down from the headliner right in front of the rear veiw mirror so it can be easily flipped down for music selection or whatever. (the touchscreen will make it easily managable without having to look away from the road) like changing the radio station or CD in the stereo.
If you have noticed lately there are a ton of full remastered high quality albums on Youtube as time goes on, so I can access any of those when it is connected to a hotspot.
I was doing some playing with the whole idea yesterday and when I pulled into the driveway my wife was in the front yard doing a bit of cleanup, so I searched a Bob Marley album from Youtube and listened to the entire thing while out in the yard.
No more carrying CD's or such stuff anymore either.

This going to be interesting when I get permanent power and mounting done. :toothy7:

Now some will say "My phone can do all that"
True, but not for free like this setup :)

I just installed a similar system in my Scamp. I used my Ipad2 with no Head Unit. It is a cheepooo set up and I only have about $300.00 total into the whole system including wires and cabling. This of course does not include the iPad. I do not leave the iPad in the car. I have cellular on it, music through my iCloud account, on the device itself and can hit Pandora or anything on the net while mobile. It of course also has Wifi.

I used a 7 band Parametric EQ for the iPad input to turn on the 4 Channel Amplifier. I have 6 speakers total. 2- 6x9's in the rear deck, 2- 6.5" I put in end caps mounted off the A Piller cage bars low by the kick panels and then 2- 4" in the dash. It came out nice for what it is an sounds a heck of a lot more than a $300.00 set up.

Pictures etc start on post #842

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=224605&page=34

I just installed a similar system in my Scamp. I used my Ipad2 with no Head Unit. It is a cheepooo set up and I only have about $300.00 total into the whole system including wires and cabling. This of course does not include the iPad. I do not leave the iPad in the car. I have cellular on it, music through my iCloud account, on the device itself and can hit Pandora or anything on the net while mobile. It of course also has Wifi.

I used a 7 band Parametric EQ for the iPad input to turn on the 4 Channel Amplifier. I have 6 speakers total. 2- 6x9's in the rear deck, 2- 6.5" I put in end caps mounted off the A Piller cage bars low by the kick panels and then 2- 4" in the dash. It came out nice for what it is an sounds a heck of a lot more than a $300.00 set up.

Pictures etc start on post #842

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=224605&page=34

Ah ha, another person that just can't leave well enough alone.
It's a kind of curse isn't it? :)

I currently have two 10's- 2- 6" and two 3" inch speakers.
I like being able to run a low volume with good bass.

Fun though.

I got a little 4.3" tablet for free it's nice to have in the car when I'm cruising around.

What audio feed are you getting from the tablet? Headphones?

Fun though.

You can use it to monitor any megasquirt ecu via tunerstudio too. On the fly engine management, other efi can be adapted with an inexpensive bluetooth adapter. With gps on it becomes a speedometer too if it has one as well as an accelerometer and compass. Cool stuff.

You can use it to monitor any megasquirt ecu via tunerstudio too. On the fly engine management, other efi can be adapted with an inexpensive bluetooth adapter. With gps on it becomes a speedometer too if it has one as well as an accelerometer and compass. Cool stuff.

Now THAT'S something I hadn't thought of yet. (duh)
I'll be looking in the settings of it and online if it has bluetooth and see what there is available.

Thanks pishta! :)

Crap, this one doesn't have it.:wack:
The next gen Fire does.

Fun though.

Yes..... I use to be heavily into the stereo scene long ago. My goal with this car was to keep it sort of time specific if you will...... No Subs. Now my Scion is different story. 2 old school phoenix gold amps with 2 10" Eclipse Subs and 6 other speakers.... I listen to that one when I want to get dumb! Lol haaaa Those 2 10's will mess up your breathing.

Yes..... I use to be heavily into the stereo scene long ago. My goal with this car was to keep it sort of time specific if you will...... No Subs. Now my Scion is different story. 2 old school phoenix gold amps with 2 10" Eclipse Subs and 6 other speakers.... I listen to that one when I want to get dumb! Lol haaaa Those 2 10's will mess up your breathing.

I don't use an amp with my 10's, just the Stereo and it does fine for me.
Don't use a lot of volume, just hi bass and mid treble with the midrange down so it sounds good without being obnoxious for people to talk.
(which I hate doing if music is playing anyway, but it happens if anyone is with me) :)

A instrument voltage regulator provides sufficient amperage ?

A instrument voltage regulator provides sufficient amperage ?

It's not a factory style, it's a 1 amp 5 volt that I built for the guages when I was using the factory ones.

But to answer your question, yes the one I used is a 1 amp and that is the recommended minimum charging amps for the Kindle.
It will be connected to the car most of the time so I don't need it to quick charge.

My company iPhone does all that and more, and it's free! J/K Just had to say it.

Sounds fun and the price was right. I've got a little system in my Dart so I'm not one of the purist that think they need to leave their AM radio in place (it'll bring big bucks at Barrett Jackson that way, you know?!?).

Enjoy your system!

It's not a factory style, it's a 1 amp 5 volt that I built for the guages when I was using the factory ones.

But to answer your question, yes the one I used is a 1 amp and that is the recommended minimum charging amps for the Kindle.
It will be connected to the car most of the time so I don't need it to quick charge.

So it doesn't operate on the regulator. The regulator is only maintaining its batteries.
That makes more sense.

My company iPhone does all that and more, and it's free! J/K Just had to say it.

Sounds fun and the price was right. I've got a little system in my Dart so I'm not one of the purist that think they need to leave their AM radio in place (it'll bring big bucks at Barrett Jackson that way, you know?!?).

Enjoy your system!

Brian,,,when you have a running car I will listen to your oppinions. :toothy7:
JK, ya
When the wife asked if I was going to restore my car to original, I told her "Why would I do that? It's a 73 Dart".
Industrial functional is what I would call it (what works best, or what I like best) or what I can afford best. :) sometimes.
I have been noticing your progress on your's, and hope you get that beautiful baby back on the road again soon.

So it doesn't operate on the regulator. The regulator is only maintaining its batteries.
That makes more sense.

It's the same amperage as what the Kindle it'self calls a "low power charge connection" I think that's what comes up on the screen when it's charging off of a USB port on a computer. (or some notice like that)

I expecting it to do the same in the car, but then again I had it charging with a 1.5 amp source the other day and it didn't mention anything about being a low power source and it charged pretty quickly.
Just as a matter of battery life expectancy, I will probably leave it unplugged some of the time so it cycle the battery like these type of batteries like.

I was going to do something like this, but thanks to Holley, I'll be stuck with Winhozed instead of Linux / Android.

Amazon has many options for dc-dc converters in the adj output or fixed. Plenty for less than 30 bucks. For example a unit which can take 10 - 30 vdc and has ability to adjust output voltage to what you like and the output is stable.

Brian,,,when you have a running car I will listen to your oppinions. :toothy7:

Ouch! You'll get a kick out of this. I'm putting a front sway bar on the Dart, and it doesn't even have an engine in it! I bought a Hemi hood scoop a couple of months ago.

I can't even listen to my stereo system because I'm moving the battery to the trunk, and haven't got that far yet. My friends say I just sit in it and go vroooom vroooom. :laughing:

If you put a sound system in your dart, how are you going to hear the valve tap, front suspension clunks, brake chatter, windshield molding whistle, seat spring noises, rear whine, leaf spring sqeek, exhaust drone, reverse whine, wiper motor thump and the blower motor howl that all early A-bodies came standard with?

I don't use an amp with my 10's, just the Stereo and it does fine for me.
Don't use a lot of volume, just hi bass and mid treble with the midrange down so it sounds good without being obnoxious for people to talk.
(which I hate doing if music is playing anyway, but it happens if anyone is with me) :)

How does this not ruin your head unit? I tried doing this when I was 16 when my amp died. I had a pioneer head unit 50wx4 I believe. I hooked the two subs in place of the rear 6x9 speakers, and it worked well for awhile, but then the head unit died.

Someone said the subs were trying to draw more power thus killing the head unit. Maybe it was unrelated?

Amazon has many options for dc-dc converters in the adj output or fixed. Plenty for less than 30 bucks. For example a unit which can take 10 - 30 vdc and has ability to adjust output voltage to what you like and the output is stable.

The $1.25 regulator I bought is capable of up to 30 volt input and puts out a stable and fixed 5 volts at 1 amp and is rated for electronic testing equipment.
I didn't see how I could go wrong.

Ouch! You'll get a kick out of this. I'm putting a front sway bar on the Dart, and it doesn't even have an engine in it! I bought a Hemi hood scoop a couple of months ago.

I can't even listen to my stereo system because I'm moving the battery to the trunk, and haven't got that far yet. My friends say I just sit in it and go vroooom vroooom. :laughing:

Brian I wouldn't need an engine in my car either to put a sway bar in.
I'll even prove it to you.
Send me a nice swaybar kit and I'll pull my motor out and put it in.:toothy7:
Vroom vroom huh?
I'd be going WAAAAAAAAAA, ARGHT, WAAAAAAAA (second gear bark) :) and I would'nt be embarrased about it either. (Not in your car)

If you put a sound system in your dart, how are you going to hear the valve tap, front suspension clunks, brake chatter, windshield molding whistle, seat spring noises, rear whine, leaf spring sqeek, exhaust drone, reverse whine, wiper motor thump and the blower motor howl that all early A-bodies came standard with?
Ha ha, fortunatly I only have a couple of those noises and even eliminated a couple more you didn't mention last weekend. (window regulator rattle and glass rattle in the door)
BTW, I HATE that stupid sqwak from the springs and not quite sure how to deal with it.
The nylon is in there and I have all new rear bushings. (and well lubed)
Frickin springs. :)

How does this not ruin your head unit? I tried doing this when I was 16 when my amp died. I had a pioneer head unit 50wx4 I believe. I hooked the two subs in place of the rear 6x9 speakers, and it worked well for awhile, but then the head unit died.

Someone said the subs were trying to draw more power thus killing the head unit. Maybe it was unrelated?

I don't know but I have been running them for over a year now with no problems.
I think what might have done it was that subs have HUGE voice coils, or maybe it was a coincidence.
My problem is that I have a crapload of home stereo equipment and can't bring myself to by a bunch of expensive car audio stuff, so I donated the speakers to the car. :)
I've got about 20-30 bucks in the entire system and the sound quality could only be matched with hundreds in specific equipment.
I had a small 400 watt amp that came with the car, but I gave it to the neighbor because I didn't want all that extra wiring and amp draw on it.
It also had a brand new pair of 3 way 6x9's but they didn't sound anywhere near as good, so I took em out and gave them to my Brother who didn't have anything but the factory speakers in his Ram truck.
We built boxes for them and he put them behind the seat wired in place the factory rears and he is real happy with them for what it cost him. (nothing)

:worthles:

You HAD to know that ^^^ was coming at some point didn't you?? Lol! :D on second thought... Video would be even better... :cheers:

Subscription, have a pair of Pioneer TS series 3 way 6 x 9's & Phoenix Gold series 6 x9's rotting away. Good ideas here.

:worthles:

You HAD to know that ^^^ was coming at some point didn't you?? Lol! :D on second thought... Video would be even better... :cheers:

Yea, I should have known better.
There is a .MP4 video of the Kindle installed here [ame]http://www.classichei.com/Kindle.mp4[/ame]

Here's a few pics and in the one with the Minion in a Mopar hat you can see what my plans for the carbon fiber dash sections with aluminum trim.
It's added in with one of my photo programs, as is the scenery because the wife said my sunshade sucks.

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 5.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 93
  • kindleminionscene.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 90
  • interior.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 97
-
Back