sleepers....how fast and how plain before it is one?

-
Black or body colored steelies, poverty caps, and a rear rim offset that makes it look not so deep dished will help A LOT to hide it. Sorry brother that aint a sleeper the way it sits. Its a patina'd hot rod. Sticks out like a sore thumb.
but its a 1500+hp payina hotrod. does it look like that from the pics minus the chute??

nothing sleeper about that car..lol
it is very quiet when running. barely much lopeyness at idle for even a purple cam mopar. it just doesnt scream 4/7 sec monster i dont think.
there is just no way anyone would expect it to be a 7 sec ride by the looks of it. 9s at best.

Black or body colored steelies, poverty caps, and a rear rim offset that makes it look not so deep dished will help A LOT to hide it. Sorry brother that aint a sleeper the way it sits. Its a patina'd hot rod. Sticks out like a sore thumb.
so by pooking at it. what kind of et or power would you expect from it?

I was going for a 'sleeper'... black wheels would add to that but I like the 15" rallyes. The car isn't a GT so I did take the emblems off too after the pics / vid (PO had double sided tape on them so no holes).
I haven't taken it to the track so I have no info on 1/4 mile et's (we don't have a track here on the island) but it definitely performs well.
It's a 408 / 469hp 509 tq / trick 904 / 8.75 / 3.55
... and 245 60 15 rear tires.

Is it a sleeper or no?

20180728_203703.jpg
20180701_155429.jpg

Last edited:

Sleeper or no?

Your car looks and sounds awesome, but I think it sounds a little too Badass to qualify as a sleeper. As soon as you start it up, the element of surprise is greatly reduced.

Nice job!

Imo a sleeper is a car that does not look like it would be fast nor was it ever intended to be fast. So a stock appearing and sounding 4 door that runs 10s yes it's a sleeper. If it had open exhaust and sound like a NHRA drag car with 12 wide tires even tho its a four door it's not a sleeper. I have seen some really cool sleepers one guy around town had a plain stock appearing s10 with a 327 that would scream he had mufflers and dot street tires looked and sounded like a regular ole 2.2 s10 till he stood on it. I think it ran 8s in the 1/8 I'd call that a sleeper

If you want to sleeper it out, a bit or tone it down, leave the paint alone and ditch the blingy wheels for steelies with poverty caps. Really stealthy sleepers dont run a tach. They wire up a shift light to the parking brake indicator light in the dash. Dont pop your hood or the competition will see your packing heat.

Last edited:
My 67 notch when done will appear as a stock restoration. Only the people into these cars will know the difference. When i take it to a show, i want john Q public to walk right past it giving its engine bay a glance as a "stock restoration" before looking at the blingy thingy next to it. I love the F.A.S.T. series cars. Their dedication to making these stock appearing cars tip into the 9s is awesome.

Heck i am even going to go with the 1967 pale yellow color with color keyed steelies, poverty caps and black walls. No A/C, radio delete car. I will wire up a shift light to my parking brake indicator. It will have black base model interior with buckets and 4 speed but no console. Just carpet and a shift boot. My nice fancy aluminum radiator, will be scuffed and painted black too. It came with some strange options as a strippo slant sux car when i got it. Had a bench seat, remote drivers side mirror, Vspeed wipers, and the in dash "performance indicator" vacuum gage. I am putting the remote mirror back on, and adding a matching passenger side mirror to it. Performance indicator will be kept intact and is restored, radio delete plate right back in the dash too.

Cordoba big disc / severed duty drum setup and heavy duty suspension with helwig G tech swaybars front and rear as well as chassis stiffening mods rounding out the package. All my chassis stiffening mods are done. Car is mostly in primer. Raising kids and working keeps me busy. Maybe it will get done. I pick at it a little at a time.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine had a primered beat to **** 72 toyota celeca with a small block chevy and TH350 in it. We called it the hellica. Car was nuts. But with the hood shut you would never know. This thing would leave stupidly long burnouts without even trying lol.

I was going for a 'sleeper'... black wheels would add to that but I like the 15" rallyes. The car isn't a GT so I did take the emblems off too after the pics / vid (PO had double sided tape on them so no holes).
I haven't taken it to the track so I have no info on 1/4 mile et's (we don't have a track here on the island) but it definitely performs well.

Is it a sleeper or no?

View attachment 1715223133 View attachment 1715223134

to me the butt stripe kills any chance of a sleeper look in my opinion..

Last edited:
it is very quiet when running. barely much lopeyness at idle for even a purple cam mopar. it just doesnt scream 4/7 sec monster i dont think.
there is just no way anyone would expect it to be a 7 sec ride by the looks of it. 9s at best.

thats all fine and dandy but look at it.. the stance, the wheels the wide rear tires..... i expect it to run well.. exact times i don't know but it sure as hell doesn't look stock or slow.. looks like it has an intended purpose in mind and thats not going to the store for grocerys.... lol

i don't think i sleeper has to run a certain time in the quarter. basically it should surprise you when you race it.. should be faster then expected... it looks like a regular run of the mill transportation vehicle or a pile of **** but runs well...

this is a friends car.. not a 9 second car or anything but a sleeper in my mind (think it would play the part better with chrome numbers though). its hard to tell its mini tubbed, you wouldn't expect a bigblock under the hood and it even has a little pee shooter exhaust tip at the bumper..lol

carlisle07027.jpg

carlisle07028.jpg

carlisle07029.jpg

i don't think i sleeper has to run a certain time in the quarter. basically it should surprise you when you race it.. should be faster then expected... it looks like a regular run of the mill transportation vehicle or a pile of **** but runs well...

this is a friends car.. not a 9 second car or anything but a sleeper in my mind (think it would play the part better with chrome numbers though). its hard to tell its mini tubbed, you wouldn't expect a bigblock under the hood and it even has a little pee shooter exhaust tip at the bumper..lol

View attachment 1715223177

View attachment 1715223178

View attachment 1715223179

id consider it a sleeper simply based on the painted bumpers
i always feel like they were cutting corners if they paint them, and i expect them to cut corners everywhere else too
(i know, broad generalization, but thats the way i see them)

Is it a sleeper or no?

View attachment 1715223133 View attachment 1715223134

I would say no but sleeper or not that car is bada$$!!! I love it.

Definitely a sleeper!!!

Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!! Thats the look right there. Needs chrome bumpers, mirrors and door handles to be granny fresh, but thats easily fixed over time as money allows. Maybe add AAA sticker on the rear bumper along with maybe a state farm insurance sticker or something like that.

Even has only one visible exhaust pipe seen from the valance, and one exhaust pipe tucked up and hidden. I bet theres wide meats under those minitubs its got that you mentioned. The rear the rims are prob widened on the backspace side so the poverty caps all look the same depth. Its all about deception. Making it appear to be stock.

Last edited:
Tail stripes literally say "I'm not a sleeper".

If you want to sleeper it out, a bit or tone it down, leave the paint alone and ditch the blingy wheels for steelies with poverty caps. Really stealthy sleepers dont run a tach. They wire up a shift light to the parking brake indicator light in the dash. Dont pop your hood or the competition will see your packing heat.
mie dont have a tach. in fact it doesnt have any guages at all. just a little 7in screen for all that stuff.

20170404_180307.jpg

Yeah... I suppose you're right.
stripe dont mean nothing. it looks stock. if it runs like a wild *** ape...then its a sleeper.

The stripe stays. The biggest give-away is definitely the sound. Compression, lopey cam and a free flow exhaust doesn't disguise much. lol Everyone knows what's up as soon as they hear it.

-
Back