Sleeving a cylinder pros/cons

-

stroked340

Reaction score
Have a block that might need to have a cylinder sleeved some say ok others say find another block..what do ya' think??..

nothing wrong with a sleeve ..........talk to your local machine shop...see if they know what they are doing...

No problem , the 340 in my car now is sleeved , over 12,000 miles on it with plenty of 7,000 rpm blasts , of course a good shop putting in the sleeve is important .

As long as you don't do it like the British a few years back on their Rovers/Honda look a likes. Sleeves where put in from the bottom of the V6's with the thermostat under the manifold between the 2 banks heat would cause the plastic thermostat housing to crack this would cause over heating and yup bet you can guess then the liners fell out wold make a hell of a noise (british at it's best lol)

PAW used to sell STD 340 blocks...yup, 8 sleeves bored STD. Good as new! And the sleeves are usually better material than the blocks so better than new.

The sleeves are higher quality material than what the block is cast out of.

I just had a 340 sleeved in a cylinder with a hole you could put your fist through. The machine shop had some concerns, but said they were pretty happy with the results. they recommended I use a stop leak just for extra measure. anyone sleeve one with a hole into water???

I 've got a excellent shop to do it and one of the cylinders is already sleeved so i guess i'm sleeving it..thanks

Every modem aluminum block is sleeved. I'd prefer it if I had the dough. No sonic checking needed!

Well that is all good to hear . I need 340 BLOCK sleeved just found out I had one or two that are bad.

What ever happened to PAW?

www.summitracing.com

PAW was not a leader and did not embrace the internet and free shipping marketing.

PAW was a leader in the idea "kitting" motor rebuild parts and mail order. But years later the "cheese was moved" and they did not move with it. Nor did that move it themselves.

I would recommend taking it to a pro, and not a con....

Diesel tractors are sleeved
old gas powered tractors are sleeved
semi trucks are sleeved
construction equipment are sleeved

some people forget their sleeves at home

No problem so long as they do it right.

Yes,

But how would you know if it's done properly.

Not all Boring Bars are the same, as well as the operator.

Do you know the difference between an 'old' Van Norman Boring Bar,
a Kwik-Way Boring Bar and a Rottler Boring Bar.

-
Back