small block conundrum!

-

skycuda67

Reaction score
hey everyone, im new to the forum and got on because I need some opinions from you! Im working on my 67 barracuda right now, taking care of the rust and rebuilding the engine. It has a 318 with street cam and 340 heads. Now my question: I also have a 71 360 interceptor engine which also needs rebuilt. With a budget of around a grand or little more if i need to, which engine would be better to put work into with power in mind, and what would be the best stuff to do to either engine? Some one mentioned boring the 318 block to a 340 but i needa know what would give me best results for the money.this is my first engine build so i need your advice! And also consider that i may or may not fabricate a remote turbo system for it later. Your knowledge is much appreciated!

build the 360....just a basic rebuild with kb107 pistons using stock crank and stocks...you say the 318 has 340 heads on it....move them over to the 360...

get a nice comp or lunati cam... headers...eddy air gap...and good ignition..and the 360 will fly...

you can not bore a 318 to a 340...that is a overbore of .130....

As far as I know Chrysler did not build a 360 with a 2.02 head. The HP 360 received a head like the 72/73 340 that featured a more reserved 1.88 intake valve.

the 340/360 is basically the same head...

early 340 heads had 2.02 intake valve....late 340 and 360s had 1.88 intake valve...

you want 340 head...put 2.02 intake in 360 head.....now you have 340 head...

Go with the 360. No question about. The heads you have are not so great for the 318 anyway. Use the heads you have on the 360 and in the long run, you will make much more power and it will cost less to get the 360 together because you have the correct heads for that engine.

I think there's a SLIGHT chance that the 360 heads have hardened valve seats. Don't remember exactly when the change took place but if the car is going to be a daily driver it might be worth looking into. Definitely a better idea to rebuild the 360 instead of the 318.

thanks guys i'll definantly do the 360 and go with the kb107's. should i do the typical .03 over? Ive seen some of these pistons a little bigger but how much would the bore job cost? it has a 727 with manual valave body and 3.55's anyone have suggestions on what kinda stall converter would work best? i figured around 3000-3200 maybe? Like i said im new to this and need guidance!

welcom to th best d#*& site out there. and remember this, there is no substitute for cubic inches.

360. Cheaper, better for street car.

welcom to th best d#*& site out there. and remember this, there is no substitute for cubic inches.

Two best posts with the least amount of words hitting the hammer dead on the head.

Although, I really like the "360 360 360 360" response, LOL! :toothy10:

thanks guys i'll definantly do the 360 and go with the kb107's. should i do the typical .03 over? Ive seen some of these pistons a little bigger but how much would the bore job cost? it has a 727 with manual valave body and 3.55's anyone have suggestions on what kinda stall converter would work best? i figured around 3000-3200 maybe? Like i said im new to this and need guidance!

Bore the block only what you have to in order to clean it up.

360!

The 360 has a longer stroke therefore automatically more torque! Use those pistons mentioned. I like the 1:88 heads on a 360 better now if was a mean *** stroker might change my mind on that.

-
Back