Smallblock Heads?

-

KRYPTONITE72

Reaction score
Just thinking of building a 4" stroke smallblock just want some input on which heads are the best, which one yall like:dontknow:

Thanks

If the $$$ was there I'd go w2 econo heads to make a lil easier.

Though I do like any head that will flow over 270cfm @.500

I have ported J-heads on mine that have around 180 something cc runners.

you wanna have a decent cross sectional area, or at least be in the 180-190cc area and flow a lot of cfm.jmo

whats the combo?

yup. W2 econos are a really nice starting point. too bad they discontinued the W5 a few years ago...

heres some W2 flow #'s:

LIFT Intake Exhaust
050 32 24
100 61 55
200 132 115
300 188 170
400 236 197
500 272 209
600 300 213
700 314 215

How much engine are you building,hp?What do you plan to spend?Street/strip,both?Any certain goals i guess is what you need to know if your
trying to meet something specific.

Which heads are best? Well, none out of the box that's for sure, though, I think Indy heads would do it in a OOTB condition or close actually. Alot is engine combo dependent.

Brodix also has a real nice set of heads. Similar to the W-5. The moved centerline heads have a 2.15 intake valve and IIRC an unresetricted cross sectional area like the W-2 or W-5 as well.

Some work to each head would let the 4inch stroker sing well.

There are many quality sb mopar heads out there "finally" I have used the Brodix B1 BA heads for many years with no problems, I mean no problems with seats moving, guides wearing out and no warpage! These heads are on my R-3 block 4" stroke sb. I've been using a roller cam for about 5 years now [same cam over and over] the lift is 619 intake and 643 exhaust, duration is 275 & 284 @ .050. With this combination and good porting [all the way into the push rod guides] my dart has dipped into the 9 second zone. Now I know 9's and small blocks are becoming common place. If you look around @ the track, the "W" series heads are being used! With big $$$$ spent. The Brodix head is a "casual" way to achieve good power w/o the major expense. Intake, rockers and exhaust are for the "Most part" shelf bolt on items. One other note to confuse you even more...I have a good friend & documented ET's who runs Edlebrock heads [much work done] 9.50's in a 66 Dart 904 trans 8.75 rear end and 4.56 gears! @ 140!!! Go figure!!
Choices are yours, do some research...dollar for dollar, find a professional port worker and have at it! 300 cfm is no problem!

Hello Rob
Great seeing you on here. I know your experience will help a lot of people out on this site including me. Thanks for contributing. Jayson

Depends on intended use.

No one head fills every niche.

308' casting LA Heads...period.

* OEM 1.88/1.60 valves
* modern exhaust port (smog injection ports must be closed)
* 65cc chambers

a good bowl blending, intake gasket matching, and exhaust port clean up, these heads should really flow on a 9:1+ 360ci+ short block.

Prine, he's going to a 4inch stroke. If it were a street 360, I'l be dusting off my 308's, but in his socks, @ 400 inchs, a set of Edelbrocks OOTB are lacking.

on 400+ cubes? Your leaving a 2 course dinner behind on the table if such is the case, just , IMO

INDY some lite bowl blending , .680 ish lift roller cam 3,250 lb.

watch

WORKING ON A 416 STROKER.I was also trying to find out what head would be good for a street /strip build.
lot of great info thanx.

Thanks for all the info, Looking to building a 4" stroke LA 360 engine, looking to put the car into the high 9's in the quarter, 72 scamp pump gas, full interior, 325/50R15, street/strip car stock interior including the factory bench seat,back seat, A/C, just got done putting in a mild steel 8point bar, the car is set up
with a 8 3/4 rear 4.30 gears floating housing set up with ladder bars, the whole car is steel but the hood,

Thanks

Thanks for all the info, Looking to building a 4" stroke LA 360 engine, looking to put the car into the high 9's in the quarter, 72 scamp pump gas, full interior, 325/50R15, street/strip car stock interior including the factory bench seat,back seat, A/C, just got done putting in a mild steel 8point bar, the car is set up
with a 8 3/4 rear 4.30 gears floating housing set up with ladder bars, the whole car is steel but the hood,

Thanks

Are you planning on keeping it all street/strip with A/C and still run 9's?
You'll need approx. 725HP to do that if it's near 3300lbs.
You'll probably hurt the 8 3/4 rearend eventually too.
Best way to do that is add some NOS to a nice reliable build. That would allow you to keep the car streetable and still run well at the track.

I recommend Indy's -1 heads and hand port them. I'd also consider a 4.100 crank instead if your using an R block.
Brian

Just thinking of building a 4" stroke smallblock just want some input on which heads are the best, which one yall like:dontknow:

Thanks

nutter good head (i'm asuming you want a top dog kinda smallblock) is the B1BA cylinder heads from Brodix.
they gotta be one of the most versitile head on the planet. will accept any valetrain too.. from stock shaft mounts to Jessels.
also intakes/exaust mans/etc.

some OTB #'s to look at:

Valve Size-------lift---- 0.200 0.300 0.400 0.500 0.600 0.650 0.700
2.080 Intake----cfm----- 129-- 180-- 221-- 249-- 263-- 267-- 269
1.600 Exhaust--cfm----- 119-- 160-- 182-- 190-- 195-- 196-- 198

worth every red cent IMO. I'll prolly end up going with these heads.

Well...those BA heads are not much better than edelbrock heads unless you order them with pushrod holes deleted and redrill the intake flange for w2 pattern then drill the pushrod holes where you want them.
I've done a set this way and they ended up flowing 325cfm @ .700 and 308cfm @.500 on my bench which is outstanding. But they are not cheap.
For the money Indy's -1 head with hand porting is the best deal.
You can use their rockers for a budget build or TD for more rpm/bigger cam.
And you don't have to cut your headers up like you do with the BA heads.
Just a thought....
Brian

no pain no gain. indy's 360-1 are nice. no doubt about it. eddy smallblock heads suck, no doubt about that too.
different flavors I guess. WHY do you hafta cut up headers for the B1BA heads? ex.ports too high? never tried it,
but Brodix claims you can use stock ex.mans with the B1BA(?).

no pain no gain. indy's 360-1 are nice. no doubt about it. eddy smallblock heads suck, no doubt about that too.
different flavors I guess. WHY do you hafta cut up headers for the B1BA heads? ex.ports too high? never tried it,
but Brodix claims you can use stock ex.mans with the B1BA(?).

The plugs are moved putting them in the way of the std. flange that most headers have. You need to cut the flanges and only use the tube/flange that fits on the head. The inbetween flanges have to be cut or they will not allow sparkplugs to be installed.

Eddy heads don't really suck....just depends on the application. There are a few out there running in the 9's with them in 3000lb. cars!
I recommend doing alot of research on those heads before settling on them....

The plugs are moved putting them in the way of the std. flange that most headers have. You need to cut the flanges and only use the tube/flange that fits on the head. The inbetween flanges have to be cut or they will not allow sparkplugs to be installed.

Eddy heads don't really suck....just depends on the application. There are a few out there running in the 9's with them in 3000lb. cars!
I recommend doing alot of research on those heads before settling on them....

I agree with Brian here....
x2 in the indy -1's just buy them from a vendor not from indy.

Brian thats impressive on those Brodix heads...personally id rather have
pushrod delete option on all teh heads. available..fwiw
cheapst.

-
Back