So many shades!

-

funnycar farmer

Reaction score
I delivered my altered Dart for paint this afternoon, a momentous day for me to say the least. I'm sure alot of you know the feeling. Nervous, excited, sinking feeling thinking it better come out right for the price you pay!! Almost like the night of the prom!! Boy- GT's sure have alot of trim holes that need to be welded shut! The color I decided on had always been an off-white. Chryslers Ivory was always "it" for me, until I saw all the color selections today. Gawd, you can sure veer off your original intended course very easily when you some of those colors that are available!!Metallic lime green was really calling out my name for a psychedelic acid trip look! I could see it with gold leaf lettering. But- I stayed true, and have chosen my dear off-white. Painter showed me something real interesting, lots of early factory colors were very, VERY close in shade. I said Chrysler Ivory, showed him an old Ditzler page I bought off EBay, and he said, yea, Ford Colonial White, Wimbeldon White, etc... I saw samples, and as an average Joe, I saw no difference. I guess I'll just tell people its "off-white"! I cannot wait!!

Dale

Dale,

Be sure to share any progress pics you get with us.

Thanks,
Mike

dale,
good choice on the color! being subtle with the paint color will surely make the other extreme modifications to your dart stand out that much more. kudos on the article in hotrod deluxe showing the fenderwell headers. you guys sure are doing something right out there on the left coast. waaaaaaaaayyyyyy cool! the cars are just so brutal!
cheers!
-tim

I only wish the car would be done in time for this years Mopars at The Strip!! But, it will not. When I take the car to Vegas, it'll be 100% show ready and 100% race ready! Well, not too show ready!! it is a period race car after all, right? Right off the bat, I"m hoping the current, temporary combination will net 11.20's @ 116 mph or so.

I only wish the car would be done in time for this years Mopars at The Strip!! But, it will not. When I take the car to Vegas, it'll be 100% show ready and 100% race ready! Well, not too show ready!! it is a period race car after all, right? Right off the bat, I"m hoping the current, temporary combination will net 11.20's @ 116 mph or so.

is this the wedge combo with the cross-ram 426?

I just got my 63 Dart racecar painted too..been in the paint shop for almost 5 months now..picking her up today.. here is a link to the pictures.. http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8QZOXDNmxcssa

Dart @ Bodyshop 3-20-08 017A.jpg

I saw pictures of your car. Nice paint! But five month's is a long time! Thats right, you said they had rust repair. That takes time. Killer shade.
Unfortunately, the first powerplant in my dart will not be a Max Wedge. Nor a clone. It'll be a smaller displacement, uh, non-Mopar unit, until funding is there to build the Max Wedge. All the stuff is sitting in the corner of the shop, block, trans, carbs, pan, but it'll be awhile before the money tree sprouts some new leaves. So, in the meantime, it'll be on the road with something else. Rest assured, the horsepower is there to carry the front wheels a good distance down the track, especially due to the fact the front wheels are now sitting somewhere very close to the front fenders!
Dale

Please don't put a chevy in it!! It'll be worth the wait for a mopar engine. Why not a 360 until you can get your maxie built?

I had the bumpers paint on my Prowler and told the guy to paint them black he ask "What Shade of Black?"

who new there were SO MANY SHADES OF BLACK

Alpine white is the late 60 early 70's off white

Going to bring it home from the painter in the morning. One of my buds snuck over to peek at it Friday, and pronounced it "insane". I think thats a good thing? I'll see if I can get a few pictures up so everyone can tell me what they think of me hacking up a perfectly good GT. By the way, thanks to all who have so graciously offered anything from slant sixes to loaning me blown hemi's (no kidding!!) to install in the car,just to keep the General from being thrown in between the framerails. Relax- the weggie is on its way, albeit alittle late. Just using another powerplant to "shake it down", then it'll get the real deal.:cheers:

Dale

And you are just NOT gonna tell us the real story about: "....using another powerplant to "shake it down...." We're all perfectly qualified to disagree here, but I would be afraid I would jinx the entire project if I put a bowtie in it! But it's your car, your money (or lack of same) and therefore YOUR CHOICES!!!

That said, I still think it's SACRILEGE!!! (Which, by the way is the name I gave to a 1/24th scale Mousetank I built when I was in junior high. It had a first generation HEMI in it.)

At one point, someone made mention I should name the car just that! Its a great name, but it was when I first started altering it. Your opinion is respected. I just look at it from another view. In the true spirit of hotrodding, I've always been a " make the best of what you can with what you have available". I've never been one to put off anyone else for their choices. Its all good to me, if you have fun with it and it brings a smile. Yea, its gonna have a GM powerplant in it, but the spirit of what the car is all about is what I'm after in the end. Taking it to the track, racing it, and cruising it to a show or two, and talking with people is what I look forward to as well!
Thanks, Dale

Hers a few pics from when we got it back today. I cannot say how happy I am with the off-white color! The bodywork over all my metalwork really came out well, and they laid down the paint resonably thick to allow me for some color sanding after final assembly!

http://public.fotki.com/bowtie0069/funny-car-farm--awb/shop-projects/page7.html

It surely does look KEWL! And Ya know what "they" say about opinions!

(They're a lot like ...UH... rectal orifices... they're all different and they all stink, except mine!)

HAPPY MOTORING!!!

P.S. I like the hidden parachute mount under the license plate. You guys are certainly creative!!

It surely does look KEWL! And Ya know what "they" say about opinions!

(They're a lot like ...UH... rectal orifices... they're all different and they all stink, except mine!)

HAPPY MOTORING!!!

P.S. I like the hidden parachute mount under the license plate. You guys are certainly creative!!
That car has attended two NHRA events with the 'chute set-up. The tech guys love it. But that chute is one puppy to pack with the spring. Yikes!

Hey Funnycar farmer the car looks great. I love the white too. My car was originally a white with red stripe car and I almost changed the color to a silver and red. I very happy I stuck with a similar factory white as you did. Jysnflem

milan2.jpg

Whoever did your minitubs did a hell of a job! That looks slick! Congrats to you.

Thanks for the kind words. I did them. Here is a picture of a '66 Mustang's tub job I'm currently working on . By far the most challenging I've done to date. It gets to be difficult when you go this wide and still try and retain a "stock" look. New custom framerails, new trunk floor,trunk hinge relocation. But it still needs to "appear" like it never happened.

http://public.fotki.com/bowtie0069/funny-car-farm--awb/shop-projects/img3854.html

-
Back