Srt-68 Barracuda

-
what tranny are you using ?? the one fro mthe magnum or ?? seen your dart at carlisle,,,,beautiful,just picked up the magazine,,,hoping there is some insite to the electronics wanting to put a 5.7 in my street rod

Trans is stock SRT-8; NAG1 W5A580. This is the Mercedes unit.
NAG stands for New Automatic Gearbox.
* W = A transmission using a hydraulic torque converter.
* 5 = 5 forward gears.
* A = Automatic Transmission.
* 580 = Maximum input torque capacity in Newton meters.

The gear ratios for the NAG1 automatic transmission are as follows:

1st Gear . . . 3.59:1
2nd Gear . . . 2.19:1
3rd Gear . . . 1.41:1
4th Gear . . . 1.00:1
5th Gear . . .0.83:1
Reverse . . .3.16:1

The truck trans (45RFE) in my Dart has a final ratio of .67, making it even more overdriven than the NAG unit. I'm sure it will work just fine with a 3.23 rear gear. SureGrip. Yeah, right--how about NoGrip? Steer with the throttle.

trans (Small).jpg

beautiful work!!! i can't wait to see more.
what are you using for electronics? i assume the stock stuff from the donar...are there any obsticles to over come? ie gauges

and from what i have read,,the truck 5 speed is a lot bigger in size then the benz tranny,,making it harder to get in to a A body tunnel,,,,??

Both the truck trans and car unit require massaging the tunnel. Controls are all stock from the donor. Gauges remain stock. I insist on this. Extraneous aftermarket stuff is a no-no in my book. I just install both an oil pressure switch and temp switch from the '68. It doesn't need a tach--you could put one in if you care. Don't forget that the SRT-8 HEMI is smarter than you--if you overheat it, it will shut down. If it loses oil pressure, it will shut down. And it's rev limited. In fact, the setup does not require gauges at all. Twist the key and get on with it. Here's a pic of the harness I'm getting ready to work over. Some tweaking needs to be done in order to communicate with the '68. Not a huge deal, but it's gotta be done. Should finish this tonight after supper. Then test fit the engine and figure out where to put things.

harness (Small).jpg

I hear that...I need to get my fatty home so I can work on it...at your pace you should be on your next car by the time I finally fire mine up.....I'm stuck in the parking lot at the shop during the day and no room on the lift (CURSE INSURANCE WORK)....I'm at the shops mercy right now so it's gonna be slow going for a few weeks.:angry7:

Nice work....keep it going...how much to do my wifes 69 rag with/6?

Mop
I hear you on being at the mercy of your shop, but you can look at it this way. At least you have a shop, and for that matter a job...

I have to keep reminding myself of that when I have to go to work when I want to be home working on my cars.

Good looking work you are doing there. I hope my cars come out half as nice as yours are.

j

Kinda like a glove. I'm happy. Now I can fabricate the mount for the trans. Last pic is of the pieces I cut out of 1/4"plate. Time to weld.

engine-trans first stab 002 (Small).jpg

engine-trans first stab 003 (Small).jpg

engine-trans first stab 004 (Small).jpg

engine-trans first stab 005 (Small).jpg

engine-trans first stab 001 (Small).jpg

Read the WHOLE thread. He said the car could be put back to stock in a weekend (the way he works!), If someone was looking for a rare 318 car.

Nice job! I want one of those money trees you have growing in your yard.
Quality workmanship pays well!

Are you dropping in a support bushing for the steering shaft? Looks like its a bit bindy there.

Awesome work....you are a true super freak.....

I did get my exhaust cut and tacked today...shoudl be at the jet coaters tommorow.

And yo I am happy I have a job for sure. At least today. Keep your chin high and spend your days looking for something new.

It always gets better.

Today I told my best customer to get the F out of my face and quit asking me when we were going to get done with the **** mess he created.

I told him I didn't care anymore about his BS and that I didn't care if he ever let me do another job with him.....he showed up at the job site an hour later with a check for me from a job I did for him last July!....MF still owes me more than I will probably ever get out of him but oh well.

SOME DAYS YOU EAT THE BEAR AND SOME DAYS THE BEAR EATS YOU.

Hang in there.

My MIG ran out of wire. piss. I'll post a pic of the mount tomorrow after I pay out the you-know-what for wire. Figures. Time to place the main harness...

looks great,,some time i hope to pick your brain on combining that SRT harness with another harness,,,im still looking for answers as to what im going to put in my street rod,,,a LA or a magnum, or the all mighty HEMI,,,

cant wait to see your next posting,,,

I love your work! I can't wait to see this one finished. The last one was so good,it's gonna be tough to outdo yourself!

looks lke a winner to me,, and doesnt appear that it is gonna have exhaust interferience nice work man,,,,you must not have a job,,,you get to much done to quick,,,,see it at carlisle??

Sleep....sleep...you are getting sleepy...C'MON.

I finally got my exhaust finish welded today...check it out on Fat Blue Fish Build if interested.

Damn. I wanted to be out first.

Fine I will unveil in 2010.

Sum bitches who don't have day jobs piss me off.

Yes I DO have a day job--one that would kick most peoples' ***. I own my own business and work 12 hours a day at that, usually with about ten minutes for lunch. I spend some nights and some hours on the weekends on my projects.

Some people say it looks like I have too much time on my hands... I have always found that expression peculiar, because we all get the same amount of time here. For the most part.

It will take me approximately 1,000 hours to build this car.
They say most people watch 1,500 to 2,000 hours a year watching TV.
I haven't watched TV since 1976. Do the math. Hell, it only took a little over a year to build my own house. For a fifth of the money. That's how you afford toys for me and my kids.

I concur.....I have the same life...self employed...19"TV I never watch and 24hrs a day to work.

Lunch is over rated.....like sleep.

5.7Dart--- With all that working I am surprised you remember you have kids :) that you mentioned, but did you forget about the wife. My wife only gives me 2 hours a day to work in the garage. :)

at least your wife gives u that....be happy my friend, mine is still resentfull of me getting my car to begin with!...what were we talking about! oh yeah the car looks awesome i cant wait to see everything all come together. you are an animal my friend!

Makes me tired just looking at it! Amazing quality work. I guess it's kinda like building a full scale version of the Monograms models we all built as kids. Just takes more time and $$$!

-
Back