Starter Grinding

-

jar84203

Reaction score
I have a 71 Duster 225ci and when I start the car, the starter grinds occasionally. Sometimes it will do it right away, sometimes for a split second while cranking, and others not at all. The fact that it is intermittent and not constant makes it odd. Or is that normal? What would cause this? I would assume the gears are not lining up, but is it possible to adjust this? Thanks in advance.

It happens occasionally. If it happens oftener than occasionally, the starter (more specifically the starter drive) is likely giving early warning of its intent to fail. No adjustment is possible. "Remanufactured" starters from the parts store are garbage; get a new Chrysler starter from Old Car Parts Northwest (206-300-1083, mentioning "Dan Stern" might help) or get a mini starter from an '89-'01 Dodge truck or van with 3.9 V6 or 5.2 or 5.9 V8.

It could be a bad spot on the starter ring gear. Pull the starter and rotate the engine around by hand. If you see a bad spot in the teeth you're looking at pulling the transmission (or engine) to fix it. If you don't see any teeth damage, go ahead and get your starter drive replaced. If you have a good local builder, go that way. If not, the local auto parts store will sell you a "rebuilt" one. Another option is to get a good used one from your friendly auto recycler. :)

Replaced the starter drive gear and it seems to be working properly now...thanks

What 'sup with that shim, is it a shim or just a dust plate? I put a ram starter in and I forgot the plate but it seems to be OK. mandatory?

What 'sup with that shim, is it a shim or just a dust plate? I put a ram starter in and I forgot the plate but it seems to be OK. mandatory?
It's both a shim and shield. It will work without one in most cases but I'd put one in. If you happen to kick up a rock and have it go inside the bell housing, you'll wish you had too!

Should I necessarily avoid a new Duralast starter in favor of a picked starter from a yard or is it just what the better deal is?

A dependable local builder would be my first choice. Used or RB from the auto parts store....flip a coin.

I found one from a 5.2 Dodge at a junkyard nearby. It has less than 60k miles and is less money than a duralast. Seems like a no-brainer for an original chrysler part. Might even keep the core rather than return it so I can do a rebuild on it. I know very little about starters and could use the experience I think. Same with the old Holley 1 BBL I have lying around. Time to overcome my fear of carbs and starters.

Fyi, Auto Zone is notorious for poor remanufactured products. I took mine to a local rebuilder.

-
Back