Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Time to finish up my coffee and hop in the shower. (TMI I know) Looks like I need to cut the grass so it's not tooo long by Thursday when we get back into town. Looks like it's going to be a nice day today though.

Set the timing and dwell yesterday. Been thinking about it since and did some internet reading because I'm plain clueless for the most part.
First, using the cool analyzer Ray sent me set the dwell to 30. It was at 33. Sounded and ran SO much better doing that.
Next put a piece of tape at 0 on the damper, pulled the advance hose off the distributor and plugged the hose.
Ran the warm engine at idle (850 rpm) turned distributor to read about 12-13 btdc. This engine calls for 12 1/2.
It just didn't seem to run right knocking, took it for a spin not happy.
Turned it up to 8 btdc and it sounds a lot better. At 3500 rpm it dropped to 12-13 btdc. Test drive better starting to smile.
Just for fun tried it at zero sounded good, but ran like crap.
I read where it says timing an older car can depend on age of the engine, miles, timing chain age, rebuilt with what, and so on.
I guess what I'm asking is 8 ok?? Can there be other factors involved to determine the right setting??

Never too early for a cold one!
You can't drink all day if you don't start early!
15588833574772842682897844614671.jpg

Set the timing and dwell yesterday. Been thinking about it since and did some internet reading because I'm plain clueless for the most part.
First, using the cool analyzer Ray sent me set the dwell to 30. It was at 33. Sounded and ran SO much better doing that.
Next put a piece of tape at 0 on the damper, pulled the advance hose off the distributor and plugged the hose.
Ran the warm engine at idle (850 rpm) turned distributor to read about 12-13 btdc. This engine calls for 12 1/2.
It just didn't seem to run right knocking, took it for a spin not happy.
Turned it up to 8 btdc and it sounds a lot better. At 3500 rpm it dropped to 12-13 btdc. Test drive better starting to smile.
Just for fun tried it at zero sounded good, but ran like crap.
I read where it says timing an older car can depend on age of the engine, miles, timing chain age, rebuilt with what, and so on.
I guess what I'm asking is 8 ok?? Can there be other factors involved to determine the right setting??
That doesn't sound right. All my 383's liked 10-15° as long as it doesn't ping or kick back against the starter it's usually good. I put 15° in my 318 and it likes it except for the fast advance which makes it ping. :BangHead:

Bourbon and eggs was my first thought.. I opted for vodka with biscuits and sausage gravy. Either way would have worked.. Now back to the Yamahopper..
Mmmm, think I need to run up to the store. Sausage gravy for tomorrow breakfast sounds like a plan. On a side note, did you take note there is a party at Mitch's today?...
818JGeZD6ML._RI_SX300_.jpg

Here's a fun guestion.. Need to hook up a tach to the bike to tune carbs. Mechanical tach is not detailed enough at low speed for the task. Question is, how does one hook up a tach to a 3 cylinder bike with 3 coils?

Here's a fun guestion.. Need to hook up a tach to the bike to tune carbs. Mechanical tach is not detailed enough at low speed for the task. Question is, how does one hook up a tach to a 3 cylinder bike with 3 coils?
Can you hook up to one and then mentally divide and/or multiply?
Say it has a 6 cylinder scale, divide by 2?

Or use one of these multimeters with the inductive pickup and set for COP?
upload_2019-5-26_14-29-6-png.png

oil change and back brakes done on Journey. Always check both sides of rotors. Outer side wasn't too bad... Not the first time I have seen this, but easy to overlook.

7E19C270-FC15-400C-B165-4AB95CD02FA4.jpeg

Set it to 6 cylinder, hook to any of the 3 coils, divide by 2? Is it that simple?
Maybe. If my math is right. Lemme think again.
Maybe not.
If it was a single coil on a 3 cyl. dividing the 6 cylinder sale by 2 would be it. right?
But with a single coil it fires 3 times per revolution.
With your coil/cyl. it fires once per cylinder. So then I guess that will read 1/3, so I guess we need to multiply by 3.
does that seem right?

Well, off to mow 2 yards. Get er' done so it won't be too long when I get home on Thursday.

oil change and back brakes done on Journey. Always check both sides of rotors. Outer side wasn't too bad... Not the first time I have seen this, but easy to overlook.

View attachment 1715340293
Guide pins stuck, or pads hung up in mounts where they slide back and forth. Should slide easy. Also on rear, after winding piston out you cycle e brake lever to walk piston out until pads contact rotor.

Guide pins stuck, or pads hung up in mounts where they slide back and forth. Should slide easy. Also on rear, after winding piston out you cycle e brake lever to walk piston out until pads contact rotor.
And make sure pins on back of pads seat in notches on piston.
To keep rear brakes adjusted, the e-brake needs to be cycled.
If not due to cable sticking,then manually activate at every oil change.

Maybe. If my math is right. Lemme think again.
Maybe not.
If it was a single coil on a 3 cyl. dividing the 6 cylinder sale by 2 would be it. right?
But with a single coil it fires 3 times per revolution.
With your coil/cyl. it fires once per cylinder. So then I guess that will read 1/3, so I guess we need to multiply by 3.
does that seem right?
I was told thete would be no math! I'm thinking if I have one coil per cylinder and test off of just one coil, I treat the reading as a 1 cylinder? 4 cylinder scale and divide by 4? That puts my idle speed at 4K or so.. my little test meter don't go that high.. I may be tool shopping..

Vets best guess is chemical reaction from someone spraying yard and drifting the spray. We don't spray our yard so can't be from us. She is still rocking the cone of shame which is miserable for all of us. She can't use her doors so I become a door man. And sleeping is tuff as she still is determined to snuggle with me at night. Nothing says wake up like getting bonked in the head by her cone.

My dog learned to break the cone in less than one day so he doesn't have to wear it anymore....

Even doubled up with two duct taped together, he can break them in less than a day....

I was told thete would be no math! I'm thinking if I have one coil per cylinder and test off of just one coil, I treat the reading as a 1 cylinder? 4 cylinder scale and divide by 4? That puts my idle speed at 4K or so.. my little test meter don't go that high.. I may be tool shopping..
There is no math. Just hook to one coil and it only fires once per revolution. You only need to divide if the coil fires more than once per revolution.

On single coil systems you need to divide by the number of cylinders it fires for. With each cylinder getting its own coil, no division required.

If you are using a tach with multiple cylinder selection only, then divide by the number of cylinders you have selected.

-
Back