Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
For what it’s worth, my poly is hovering at 45 psi at idle, 60 psi at WOT, but not with a load or in gear, haven’t got that far yet
Depends on where you're measuring it, but in general 45 at idle suggests very high viscosity (normal if the engine is cold). At idle the pump isn't moving that much volume. If the measurement is close to the pump, high pressure means that little volume isn't flowing up through the engine.

When the pressure is high because the oil is too thick its like this.
tenor-gif-gif.gif

It's not getting more flow to the top no matter how much pressure is added.

Fan on the car is a 6 blade 17 inch. 20 inch opening seems excessive
Factory fans in '68 is 18" IIRC. 1" clearance is prob as close as one would want considering tolerances and how much an engine moves around. Also the factory fan is notched to clear the bubble top better. At least thats why I think its notched.

here's the fan that goes with a clutch set up. I thinlk the fixed fan is the same diameter, and big blocks maybe got an 18.5" fan.
upload_2021-8-10_21-35-40.png

Trans shifts weird. Leave in drive won't shift to second till you put in 1st then 2nd, shifts fine to second then manual shift to 3rd nice crisp shift. But will stay in first a long time if not manual shifted.

Trans shifts weird. Leave in drive won't shift to second till you put in 1st then 2nd, shifts fine to second then manual shift to 3rd nice crisp shift. But will stay in first a long time if not manual shifted.
Tv adjustment? Guvenah?

Ran hot.
Found out I had 6cyl rad.
Wrong fan and spacer. Bought the correct rad, fan, spacer. Then water pump and pulleys were wrong.
Bought those. Cast iron water pump fits ok. Just need shorter bolts and nipples. Just ordered bolts. Still need nipples. Que karl.
You did tell me that - the first part. I forgot.
Sadly I have no parts for the correct early setup. If you need I can look up the brand of the St St nipples I bought. Bet they are common now that bling is in, and they are nice and shiny.

This looks like its from my '68 Plymouth FSM
Big block was also 18" diameter fans
upload_2021-6-14_17-7-58-png-png.png

Not sure what was done in '66 as everything is tighter in there.

I adjusted the linkage wot and the lever full to the rear. It seems right. I might shorten it some.
Does it begin to move trans lever as soon as the throttle moves off idle?
If not, set it to do that. That's what the revised guidance was in the '70s.
They even made a little special tool to put over the shaft with a spring to hold it forward while adjusting the linkage.
upload_2021-8-10_21-59-17.png

10 years ago I bought a pressure gage specifly to check the line pressure.
Have never used it.
Need to do it on a lift.
No way I'm running that test on jack stands.

Oh well. That's was the only thing I could think of after what you've already done.
I think I have the fix. 66 has a fixed kickdown setup. I have modified a later setup. I need to make the slot longer. On the carb linkage. Not coming forward all the way. Already adjusted as short as it will go....

-
Back