Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
If you smell fuel - as in gasoline like when you fill the tank - that's not running rich - that's fuel escaping before it goes into the cylinders.

Electronic ignition - irrelivant.
As far as opinions, I thought TMM's meme yesterday pretty much summed it up.
Of course you have no easy way to judge if anything I say is experience based on facts.
The carb doesn't know if its a 225 cid six or a 273 v-8.
All it does is respond to the velocity of the air mass through the booster.
Describing the main system here, the low speed system is a bit more sensitive.

Changing the main jets is mostly to change the high speed cruise. That's usually above 60 mph but will vary with gearing and engine.
Its also done at the drag strip for WOT in top gear but that's because its convenient. Often the carb is a calibrated that works out nearly perfectly. However it doesn't always, depending on the engine efficiency at part throttle. If one needs to adjust the fuel mixture at just WOT+heavy load, then its the power valve circuit that needs to be enriched or restricted.

I thought main jets kick in below 60 mph... The main system kicks in after the idle system and fuel enrichment systems end, which can be at lower speeds...

When accelerating the main system is assisted by the power valve/metering rods to run richer under load... Those systems kick in when you get out of the idle system and accelerator pump squirt 'ends'...

its leaking from the center of the radiator; not the tank. Its just spraying from in between the fins.
I misunderstood, thought you had a new aluminum rad. I have repaired leaking tubes in the past,even easier with the micro torch i have now. Im suprised a rad shop refused to fix it. ****, even i can do that and im a hack. I have repaired many over 40 years.
I even managed to repair one with a soldering iron. Way out in the sticks and that’s all we had. Heated whole rad up on a woodstove to get it hot enough.

I thought main jets kick in below 60 mph... The main system kicks in after the idle system and fuel enrichment systems end, which can be at lower speeds...

When accelerating the main system is assisted by the power valve/metering rods to run richer under load... Those systems kick in when you get out of the idle system and accelerator pump squirt 'ends'...
Those systems all overlap to some degree. What I found (the hard way) was that when primary main jets were reduced sufficiently, the engine runs noticibly lean when cruising over 60 mph. The way I learned this was after a dyno session where between two runs with different PMJs the power looked very similar. So I drove home with the leaner jets, because, why not? Well you can guess what happened. The engine revved and died. It wasn't a good road to change jets on, but doing 55 mph in the right lane was pretty much keeping with the flow, so I just drove it home.

The "idle system" is a misleading name. Low speed system is better. Low load system is probably the most accurate if anyone wanted to rename it.

07&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=VirE48zb4-MAX_JESJw&tn=vbJ8LH5gupjJ8i4V&_nc_ht=scontent-fml2-1.jpg

So, resident drinkers. @Sublime one @toolmanmike and others.... is this where the term "toddy" came from in the name of a cocktail? I have one of these and just finally looked it up.

VINTAGE TODDY MIXER * MEAL IN A GLASS * METAL MIXER * WOOD HANDLE * ADVERTISING | #511524090

Guess not...

It originally started in India (controlled by the British at the time) in the 1610s and was derived from the Hindi word “taddy,” which translated into a drink made with fermented palm sap. Fast forward to 1786, where the word became official and was defined as an alcoholic drink made with hot water, spices, and sugar.

I could use a toddy…
Been a frustrating day. Trying to get this sorted out with apple, and they keep dropping the conversation. Then we start over. One said they have a copy of the conversation yet we start over. I would like to have the 990 songs in my phone.
The music i loaded from cd’s seems to be the issue. But im sure i didnt load 600 songs. 300 is a reach.

Evening all. Took my family to the county fair and the truck and tractor pulls. Was the first time as a family of 5 to the pulls and first time ever for my youngest , 15 month old, I was anxious about heading in to it. But oh my, she absolutely loved it! The louder and faster the stuff was, the more she giggled and laughed. She was a hoot! Guess I’m passing down that HP gene to all 3!!

We’ll my pulled hamstring took a turn for the worse kind of. I guess four days wasn’t enough. Playing golf wasn’t the best for it and made it feel like I was starting over. It bruised up and now really sore. I need to take it easy.

048F2B10-A219-4B8B-9B11-39E69317F461.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back