Strange window crank retainers

-

Hemioutlaw

Make America Great Again!
Reaction score
Anybody had to deal with these? Parting out two 65' Cuda's and all was going well until I encountered these damn retainers on three window cranks. All the others were the standard allen head, I've got a pretty well stocked toolbox but damned if I've got a socket with a small enough OD to fit inside this hole. Pic makes it look bigger but trust me it's pretty damn small. Going to drill it out if I can't find a solution and not wanting to grind the od of my sockets down. Gotta get past this SOB retainer, I need the regulators and glass,lol.

Attachments

• 2014-05-29 10.00.34.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 162
Most pawn shops I have been to have at least on bin of sockets. 1/4 drive deep sockets should reach

Can't tell what size you need. Maybe a 'multi' screwdriver without the small bit

Looks to me like someone broke off an allan wrench in the bolt.If all else fails I'd drill it and use an easy out on it.

Agree with you. Broken off allen. Also looks like the bolt might be corroded to the window crank, penetrating oil to soften that up a little. Once the bolt is out you might need some inside the bolt hole to help release it on the regulator shaft to remove it without breaking the handle.

I have some old cheap crap made in japan/taiwan sockets just for that kind if stuff... grinding the OD etc......

Yep buy a cheap socket and grind the outside to the diameter to fit in the hole.
Looks too clean to be a break.

I've used nut drivers on tight spaces like that. Sometimes the wall on a nut driver is just a bit thinner than that of an actual socket, making it easier to get into the tight area like the one on that handle.

I've used nut drivers on tight spaces like that. Sometimes the wall on a nut driver is just a bit thinner than that of an actual socket making it easier to get into the tight area like the one on that handle.

Ding Ding Ding. That was my first thought when I saw the pic.

yep someones "replacement" fastener for sure. if all else fails ive had good luck with left hand twist drill bits if its not stuck super bad. Just get er good & centered & use pressure to make it easyer to back out bolt than to cut metal.

-
Back