"street" outlaws tonight

-
Hi, I got into American cars in 1977 with my first car, a 1968 Dodge Charger 318 auto, thought that was real fast, lasted 6mnths, I swapped it with some guy for a 1965 K code Muzzy, thats where it really all started, cruising the meets, and Street Racing, but I thought it was a bit dangerous tbh, I was 27yrs old then, and when I nearly didn’t stop at a set of lights one day, that was it and Santa Pod Raceway became a reality in 1981 with my first quick car for then, a 1971 340 Cuda. That all lasted till 1990 when I retired. Then life/kids happened and I only recently got back into Racing in 2012 as a spectator.
After attending several meets at the Pod, I gotta say that apart from getting to know a few people, some old racers it was good fun talking over old times etc., but watching the racing we have over here was totally boring, apart from Pro-Mod, TF FC and the other Heads Up classes of which there isn’t much of. Bracket/index is an absolute bore (my opinion only), cars that can run 8’s on stops running S/G and the brackets where you got the faster car leaving 2 seconds after the other etc., and the car that puts the win light on losing, I wonder what the spectators think of that, that ain’t Drag Racing in my book anymore, its not how it all started out is it?...its heads up, first to cut the beams is what it was all about. Anyhow the whole point of my rather long post(sorry) is that I got into the street outlaws, being a doorslammer guy, and I gotta say, its exciting, its pure race cars racing on the street in a quiet place, dangerous, yes, but they ALL know the risks, look at the Chiefs reaction to the crash, there’s no public about you can mow down, no other cars involved but the racers. These guys know their s*it, getting 1500+hp down onto that surface takes some doing, and yes why not make money at it, it used to be pink slips...I remember once winning a special one off heads up competition we had at the Pod, taking a massive £250, that was exciting, so I took all the racers down the pub on my winnings, what a crack. So I’ve come full circle, back to my roots where it all started I guess.
Anyhow, like it or not, 1/8 or a ¼, its where it at for me whatever your own opinions on it, we are not all the same, its gotta be better than watching brackets/index racing. Its a shame that pro-mod type cars are creeping into the scene as people cannot relate to them so much, but there are still plenty of cars left for now that they can, so enjoy it while it lasts.

I see the Chief finally lost to Murder Nova last week, but thats old news to you guys........
I know I'm going to piss a few people off here but I totally agree and can kind of relate to what you just said . Back when we used to do this , we ran mostly at this one spot for about 15 plus years and no one ever got hurt in all those years . Maybe it was because of where we did it or maybe how we did it , that I'm not sure . We did try and be smart about it . But like I said , "no one" got hurt . A lot of us ran at the track on occasion as well but we just couldn't afford to bring our cars up there on a regular bases since it's about an hour and a half to two hour ride as well as trying to find a trailer to bring them up there to begin with . So we ran on the street . But one thing we didn't do was run in heavily populated areas like I hear about now . Street racing is part of the history of these cars that we love so much whether you want to admit it or not . So don't blame the show because some morons that probably couldn't drive to begin with , chose to be stupid . And if you don't like the show then don't watch it , plain and simple . Just my two cents .

What i find sad is these guys probably have more money in their cars then their house are worth..i know big chief claimed he had $160k in that goat..and i remember chuck stating..
"He rather miss a mortgage payment then a race"..really???..

Alot of this is 1/8 mile because of speed as well. The guys on this show are 175 plus in the 1/8 mile. Do you really want stock bodied cars with a wing on the rear end back dooring over 200 mph?

Winner!

How much pull do you get the last 660, maybe 40-45mph when you've already pulled to 175 in the first 660. The last half is lazy compared to the front half.

Most of the cars on the show are running MPH in the first 330 that a bunch cars on here are lucky to pull at the end of the 1/4 mile.

The angst the show creates make the old axiom true, "There no such thing as bad publicity."

Yes we only have 1/8 mile tracks in the south but we don't have to put up with all of NHRA rules. As long as you got a seat belt and a helmet you are good to go.
And the biggest rush is in the first 60 ft.

Attachments

• download (Custom).jpeg
    5.3 KB · Views: 301
Winner!

How much pull do you get the last 660, maybe 40-45mph when you've already pulled to 175 in the first 660. The last half is lazy compared to the front half.

Most of the cars on the show are running MPH in the first 330 that a bunch cars on here are lucky to pull at the end of the 1/4 mile.

No truer words have ever been spoken on this thread! :cheers:

The show is entertaining. Who wouldn't want to watch these high HP, high dollar cars but id like to see real 10.5 tire street cars run with real local street racers (someone should produce that). These guys seem to have unlimited budgets and full blown race cars.
Big Chief's new car is so far removed from a street car, its hard to associate with that.
Fun to watch though for sure, but not real life.

its about street racing not street cars and probably was street racing till TV got a hold of it, liability and all. its cool and entertaining. quit bitchin they are doing what they love and bringing it to the masses. people that never been to the drag strip watch it and will likely boost the most popular sport besides PACKER FOOTBALL.

besides farmtruck and azain's hearse episode had me rolling on the floor.

its about street racing not street cars and probably was street racing till TV got a hold of it, liability and all. its cool and entertaining. quit bitchin they are doing what they love and bringing it to the masses. people that never been to the drag strip watch it and will likely boost the most popular sport besides PACKER FOOTBALL.

Well those people need to go to a drag strip to see REAL racing then..Packers lol....

The show is entertaining. Who wouldn't want to watch these high HP, high dollar cars but id like to see real 10.5 tire street cars run with real local street racers (someone should produce that). These guys seem to have unlimited budgets and full blown race cars.
Big Chief's new car is so far removed from a street car, its hard to associate with that.

I agree with everything you just said "but" the tire size part . To me the tire size shouldn't matter but for sue they should be all real street cars ( or in some case's street trucks ) . I think it would make for a more realistic show .

i dont want to watch the promod crap. it isnt real presentation of automobiles one can normally own or see on the weekend cruising around me and i like real. i dont care for topfuel or funnycars either. promod, top sportsman, prostock, and the likes of those classes do NOT interest me in the slightest. they have all but about 2 sec of my attention and im off. 135"wb carbon fiber camaro is not real and is funny car looking. if i was still into matchbox cars....well maybe but im not a george barris fan either. show me normal cars anyone could have with a regular budget and ill be interested.

being from kcmo when i seen the promods on the kcmo season opener it pissed me off. mostly because we have faster street cars here but its the show producers that made the call for ratings. well it killed it for me. those guys are NOT street racers and should never have been there. im still trying to find who invited the damn promods as i cant fathum who did.

i dont want to watch the promod crap. it isnt real presentation of automobiles one can normally own or see on the weekend cruising around me and i like real. i dont care for topfuel or funnycars either. promod, top sportsman, prostock, and the likes of those classes do NOT interest me in the slightest. they have all but about 2 sec of my attention and im off. 135"wb carbon fiber camaro is not real and is funny car looking. if i was still into matchbox cars....well maybe but im not a george barris fan either. show me normal cars anyone could have with a regular budget and ill be interested.

being from kcmo when i seen the promods on the kcmo season opener it pissed me off. mostly because we have faster street cars here but its the show producers that made the call for ratings. well it killed it for me. those guys are NOT street racers and should never have been there. im still trying to find who invited the damn promods as i cant fathum who did.

The KC guys. This is a TV show, use the remote to change the channel. The racing 1/8 mile is due to the speeds. 10.5, 275, 235, 8.5 class's all race 1/8 mile for safety reasons.

Ray

I been out of town and haven't kept up with news but front page of news this morning had 3 killed in Eutaw, Al Sat night. This is about 40 mi south of me. Looks like spectators were the ones killed. A 3 yr old child, 22 yr old female and 30 yr old male. An 86 Olds Cutlass and Monte Carlo were racing when the Cutlass hit the Chevy. Both drivers fled scene but both in jail now.

I watch the show because its entertaining, cars are fast and its racing. However i personally dont believe in street racing because of the danger involved as red67gts just pointed out in above post. I remember many years back a kid from our school was street racing and lost control and rolled his car. No one was hurt but it showed me why street racing wasnt safe. But each person has to decide for themselves.
Rod

I been out of town and haven't kept up with news but front page of news this morning had 3 killed in Eutaw, Al Sat night. This is about 40 mi south of me. Looks like spectators were the ones killed. A 3 yr old child, 22 yr old female and 30 yr old male. An 86 Olds Cutlass and Monte Carlo were racing when the Cutlass hit the Chevy. Both drivers fled scene but both in jail now.
Why do you think they were racing on the street instead of the local track? This stuff needs to stop! Everyone that goes to the track knows they are taking a risk, esp. the drivers, but when you hit elderly couples on a public street or other innocent people there is just something morally wrong about that. I'll bet that 3 yr old had no choice whether to be there or not.

Street racing has been around LONG before street outlaws came along.

If you are there to watch an organized street race, you aren't an innocent bystander. Let stand 5 feet from a street, 400 feet from the starting line, where a car is accelerating at a high rate, nothing bad could ever happen....

A 3 year old at a street race... genius!!! Only an idiot, or group of idiots would race at 5:30pm... Stupid!

Street racing has been around LONG before street outlaws came along.
I seem to recall that when we did this as kids, we went way out of town to a desolate road somewhere, not in an area with cross streets. Furthermore we were scared to death of being caught! We were young and stupid, but we had enough common sense not to stand around near the finish, maybe that is the difference nowadays.

No matter how you feel, street racing is going to happen. yup its supper stupid and you would not catch me doing it.

But these guys are well organized and they do put a measured amount of safety into their events. Plus they are not racing on the street anymore although they probably once did and would like you to believe they still are.

Justin Scherer said they go to their local track every chance they get, even to just spectate.

As for up and close, I stood 20 feet from the Christmas tree at Car Craft Midnight Drags after the Car Craft Nationals Saturday night and at Hot Rod's Drag Week at Great Lakes Dragaway outside of Union Grove, Wi.

The Chicago Wise guys were at the Midnight Drags and their cars are stupid fast.

I agree with everything you just said "but" the tire size part . To me the tire size shouldn't matter but for sue they should be all real street cars ( or in some case's street trucks ) . I think it would make for a more realistic show .
10.5 is just a quick real street class for example, I would rather to see ANY real street cars line up.

10.5 is just a quick real street class for example, I would rather to see ANY real street cars line up.

The reason you did'nt have many wrecks years ago is the cars ran 13 and 14 sec in the 1/4 mile.Now its not uncommon to have a 10 sec car on the street a lot can happen with a ten sec car on the street.

The reason you did'nt have many wrecks years ago is the cars ran 13 and 14 sec in the 1/4 mile.Now its not uncommon to have a 10 sec car on the street a lot can happen with a ten sec car on the street.

The 90's was not uncommon to see 10 second street raced cars. I lived in Socal at that time.
here is a video of my street car from 1998. LACR the air was 4k above sea level that day.

[ame]https://youtu.be/Wg-z2JM6jms[/ame]

My bracket car is a 10 sec. car and I couldn't even imagine it on the street!
I've been on some poorly prepped tracks where it ran in the high 10's because of slipping all over the place and those were some scary rides!

-
Back