Stroker advantage

-
You would on two accounts, 1, a direct comparison between cubes, all else being the same. 2, lack of money, just swap over the previous engines parts into the stroker and go
Yes this was exactly what I was asking a comparison between two engines one with a stroker one without. I seriously doubt I will ever have the money to build one anyway. I'm just curious I'm a inquisitive type guy I like to know as much as I can learn lol

Yes this was exactly what I was asking a comparison between two engines one with a stroker one without. I seriously doubt I will ever have the money to build one anyway. I'm just curious I'm a inquisitive type guy I like to know as much as I can learn lol

As Rumble pointed out, the area under the curve does change, and for some guys that’s a big deal, because they want to run 2.9X or 3.08 gears or some junk like that.

If that’s the kind of gear you want to run, the you are married to adding stroke to get the car to move.

What some guys do with stroke, I’d much rather get it done with gears.

The mechanical levers of the gear box and rear axle are much more efficient than using stroke to move the car.

Some guys just hate low ratio (high numerical) gears and RPM. I’m not one of them. I’d much rather drive a car with a 4.56 gear and the correct cam for that with a big bore, short stroke and RPM than some long legged low RPM tractor type engine.

I get why shops today say stroke it all the time. It’s the generation we live in. When I grew up, a 4.56 was THE standard street gear. When the Dana goes in my car it will get 4.88’s. And that will be with a 3.79 stoke.

Everytime I talk to a fellow car guy weither it be a ford Chevy or mopar guy they always talk about their "Stroker motor" I even see it in here alot you see a ton of 408s and other stroker variations. Ever time I talk about my engine build the first thing people say is why ain't you gonna stroke it? So this leaves me to question... what are the power advantages to a Stroker? Other than cubes? For instance take two identical combinations same intake carb, heads, cam, compression, exhaust, bore, pistons everything exactly the same one has a 3.58 the other has a 4" stroke how much more power are we talking? 20hp 50hp.....? I'm just curious and inquiring minds have to know.

Two identical combinations with the only difference being stroke will end up with the same horsepower. The stroker will have more torque but peak horsepower will end up being the same or very close to the same. The extra torque is nice to have in some applications though which is why you'll find bigger engines in heavier cars.

For a performance engine the main reason people stroke them is because it is a cheap way to make more power. If you are building a high performance engine and you need new parts anyway then it doesn't cost anymore to build a stroker. Once you put good cylinder heads and a bigger cam in a stroker engine you'll pick up a lot more power.

But with the advantage still of having the same room and weight as a small-block..?.

Some things can kinda go without sayin......but I forget this is you we're dealin with here. lol

How about 170 to a 225...

CRANKSHAFT STROKE
170: 3.125"
198: 3.640"
225: 4.125"

bore and head being the same. It is said the head determines HP potential and the stroke determine where that peak power comes in all things being equal. So the 170 and the 225 had the same HP potential but the 225 brought it in at a much lower useable RPM.

I've driven both a good bit and I have to say, with a manual transmission, I think the 170 has more zip. I guess due to the shorter stroke and the ability to get spinnin quicker.

I've driven both a good bit and I have to say, with a manual transmission, I think the 170 has more zip. I guess due to the shorter stroke and the ability to get spinnin quicker.
Kind of like comparing cutting the grass with a Briggs & Stratton lawn mower or a two-stroke weed eater that has a little bit more zip to it... Bahahaha...
Hurry up and get that 400 done and get it in that little car so you can refresh your memory of what it's like that have some real zip...... LOL....
Jet plane flying, limousine riding, women carousin son of a gun!...
515.gif

Kind of like comparing cutting the grass with a Briggs & Stratton lawn mower or a two-stroke weed eater that has a little bit more zip to it... Bahahaha...
Hurry up and get that 400 done and get it in that little car so you can refresh your memory of what it's like that have some real zip...... LOL....
Jet plane flying, limousine riding, women carousin son of a gun!...
View attachment 1715578921

Shut up dummy.

"Not that much"

And with aluminum heads, intake, and water pump it's damn near equal. The weight penalty for a BB is not as bad as many make it sound.

Spark plug access and header space, though? That's what's stopped me so far, LOL.

-
Back