Suspension kits....Recommendations?

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
Looking ahead on my project Duster, it shouldn't be too terribly long before I'm ready to reassemble the front suspension. Since all the rubber bushings are at least 30 years old and possibly older, (and deteriorated) it's time to replace them all. At this point I have 2 basic options;
1) Rubber OEM-type components
2) Polygraphite components

From what I've read, the only advantage rubber has is originality and lower price. If that's the case, I'll upgrade to poly. If anyone knows any different, speak up and correct me!

There are a dizzying number of companies hawking their wares on the net. I just got through visiting 5 different websites, all claiming to be the best, with prices ranging from a couple hundred to over $600.00.....knowing that most of the time, "you get what you pay for", I'm taking suggestions for the best quality kit for the price based on your personal experiences....otherwise I'll just have to toss the dice and pick one?
Need the entire front end kit-
Here are the specs;
1972 Plymouth Duster
Street/strip use. NOT a "daily driver"!
340 currently under build, est. 300-400 HP range, 12 second bracket
A833 four speed
3.91 Sure grip stock rear end
considering subframe connectors, adjustable pinion snubber and traction bars
stock springs and shackles (at present)
manual steering
power front disc brakes HD

Your comments, recommendations and experience are appreciated. Please let me know if you've had a good OR bad experience with a particular product, company, or individual. Links/phone #'s appreciated as well. Thanks!

I have done it both ways. Many years ago I had a big block demon with poly bushings and it worked good at the strip but it would ride like a hay-wagon on the street. 2 years ago I helped a friend with his 70 Firebird project and he went poly bushings in the front. A couple of weeks ago we swapped it out for the rubber for the ride comfort. The difference on the strip is very minimal. My new project is a slant six demon that I purchased in Florida. It now has a 440 six-pack with stealth heads, solid comp cam, automatic with a 3000 stall convertor and a 8 3/4 4:10 rear end. I put in frame connectors and did the spring re-location kit with mini-tubs. Although it is still a work in progress I went with the rubber setup. I bought a complete front end kit from Mancini's. I can't remember the price but it was very reasonable. At the same time I installed a Wilwood disc brake conversion kit and got rid of my 9 inch front drums. Price didn't sway my choice here as I plan on doing mostly street driving with a couple of trips to the strip a year. These old A-bodies never rode the best to begin with so I just felt that rubber was the best for me.

i prefer the rubber. t talked to a few guys that i trust and they recomebded the rubber and when i called around the companies told me that its normal for the poly to squeek. i hate squeeks,, lol.

The Corvette guys ***** about the squeeky poly bushings too.
If the factory rubber bushings lasted 30+ years, I would (and did) use rubber again.

George

This is the kit I'm going to be using...

Just Suspension kit

I see also that you're "considering subframe connectors". That was the single best suspension upgrade I've done to the dart so far. Drives like a different car now. No more twisting and flexing as I go down the road. No more popping and groaning as it goes up on the lift at work either.

Edit: I clicked on the link and it brought up the poly bushings. I plan on using the RUBBER bushings and the heavy duty tie rods. I also might weld in some stiffeners for the lower control arms while I have it all apart. I also plan on buying their sway bar kit for $99 at the same time, not necessary for a drag car, but I like my 40 year old car to not fight me while driving it!

I`ve used both, polygraphite (all but the LCA) in my highest performance car and rubber in the stockers and I honestly cannot tell the difference. I got them all from PST in complete kits and they were very reasonable compared to the competition.

I just bought and installed this weekend PST complete kit .Very nice fit no problems.I went with rubber its Cheaper,No sweaks,and stock rubber last 20-30 years.
Jim

I don't use the "kits" cause I don't know who is supplying the ball joints and stuff for them. I'd spec out Moog parts from www.rockauto.com

I've done rubber uppers and lower with poly strut rod bushings and poly sway bar bushings. Later I went to poly lower control arm bushings. For what you are doing I'd run rubber K791 lower control arm bushings. I like the poly strut bushings. They take all the braking force. Make sure to grease them up between the K-frame, and washers.

• K772 (qty 2) Upper Ball Joints
  • K781 and K783 Lower ball joints
  • K7103 (qty 2) Rubber Offset upper bushings installed for more caster: Read below
  • Prothane strut rod bushings with the inner bushing modified for more caster. Info here: http://users.erols.com/mathewg/bushings.html
  • K791 (qty 2) rubber lower control arm bushings
  • K7076 Pitman Arm
  • K7086 Idler arm
  • ES355RL (qty 2) 11/16 C-body Tie rods
  • ES352R (qty 2) 11/16 C-body Tie rods
  • ES440 (qty 2) 11/16 C-bodyTie rod adjuster sleeves
  • Prothane poly sway bar end links
  • Prothane poly sway bar bushings

Alignment:
1/16" toe in
.3 degree negative camber
3-4 postive caster

How to install Moog K7103 offset bushings for more positive caster:
Install arrows on bushings like diagram
3MAsusp2.GIF

1MAsusp4.JPG

Wow...thanks! So far, overwhelming support for rubber! Who woulda thunk it?

I have a 1970 Duster 340 that been has modified.The front suspension has been changed to the 73 disc setup.I am using all Moog rubber parts for the front suspension in addition to that I have boxed the lower control arms and the K frame has been rewelded and strengthened.

I've done both rubber and poly on a pair of 66 Darts. Both a big improvement over the OEM + 40 years. The poly produces a tad sharper steering. I've used the PST kits on the older cars.
The Demon has MOOG hard parts with poly bushings from Summit. If I had to do it again, would go back to PST for bushings. The Summit uppers are more difficult to install. To their credit, there is no way these things will bind.

-
Back