Swinger needs WIDER TIRES!

-

Can70swinger

Reaction score
Does anyone have a sure fire solution for adding rear tire width without tubs? I'm willing to relocate springs etc, but without trial and error I have no real idea of how much tire you can fit/add without major modifications.

I'm planning to use 275-60x15's on the back of my '69 Dart with offset springs. My Dart came with a B-body rear that the previous owner installed - going to get it narrowed to center the already-purchased 15x8 wheels in the wheelwell.

Does anyone have a sure fire solution for adding rear tire width without tubs? I'm willing to relocate springs etc, but without trial and error I have no real idea of how much tire you can fit/add without major modifications.

On my 70 Dart Swinger with factory spring location no cutting at all, I used Mickey Thompson Indy/SS 255/60/14 Tread Wear is 0000 on 7" Wheel with 4.25 Back space. Fits like a glove and I Run the Piss out of the thing and they have NEVER rubbed! I have a 4spd that is the only reason I didn't go with street et's and I wanted the Factory look from the year of the car with 14's. They Hook pretty darn good with the 410 stroker and 3.55 gears. This set up puts EXACTLY 9" of tire on the ground!

410 stroker motor 005.jpg

410 stroker motor 006.jpg

410 stroker motor 007.jpg

410 stroker motor 012.jpg

410 stroker motor 005.jpg

410 stroker motor 006.jpg

410 stroker motor 007.jpg

410 stroker motor 012.jpg

Maddart, thats a nice fit. they look good.

Thanks!

I have been experimenting with tire pressure and 22lbs in the rear is the sweet spot for now. I need to fine tune the pinion angle which I will be doing in a few days. Then I will experiment some more.

17x9 wheels with 275/40 tires fit just fine on my buddy's '68 Valiant.

17x9 wheels with 275/40 tires fit just fine on my buddy's '68 Valiant.

Well if those did fit on my car I can tell you they would get ANNIHILATED instantly. Any car with some torque will need the sidewall to FLEX so it will hook, a 40 series tire will not do the job, unless you just want to do a smoke show that would in no way be a correct set up for HARD launches!! Even at a Roll going 50 if I stomped on my car with the factory radials it would act as if I was on Ice Skates making the car fish tail even in 3rd gear with the possibility of wrapping the car around a light pole. NO B.S

I think that 255 is about max in the stock wheel well, unless you go to 17-18 rim like said. Mad Darts tires look awesome, that is the look I will be going for eventually. A 245 on a 14 or 15 by 8 with 4.5 bs is a good safe combo too. Now as far as moving the springs I am unsure how much more clearance that will give you without at least doing a mini tub. I have heard it is not really much and for the amount of work you have to do you might as well just mini tub. But maybe someone else will chime in.

yeah 255s fit with no mods. mad dart, you have to be the fist guy i ever heard that could get a car to hook with those tires. i used the offset hangers on one car, i found there to be no real gain there isnt really anything made that is a good fit. i guess it could give you a little more room to play if you dont have the perfect fitting wheels and you want to run 255 or 275s.

are the 70's darts the same as the 67-9 dart as far as wheel well? because i was thinking of running a 255 60 15 on a 15x7 4.25 BS. fit?

mad dart, you have to be the fist guy i ever heard that could get a car to hook with those tires.

The Tread compound on these tires are the same as slicks, they are VERY soft with a tread wear rating of 0000 just like a slick. I run 22lbs of air in them and the Caltracs do their job, but I do need to play with it some more and adjust my pinion angle then bring the caltracs level to the ground as possible. Then it should hook really good!

If you use the offset spring kit and roll the fender lips you should be able to stick a 275 in there. Thats maxed out unless you tub it.

yeah a 255 will fit any 67+ dart, you have to measure for your backspace though. i built a dana to fit my wheels so i dont know how the 4.25 bs would work.

Maddart, I tried zooming in but it that an 8-1/4" or 8-3/4" rear?

Also, is it stock A-body width or is it from a b-body? I have a 73 swinger and I think you have an absolutely perfect tire combination on your car. I'd definitely try it if you're running an 8-1/4" stock A-body width.

Maddart, I tried zooming in but it that an 8-1/4" or 8-3/4" rear?

Also, is it stock A-body width or is it from a b-body? I have a 73 swinger and I think you have an absolutely perfect tire combination on your car. I'd definitely try it if you're running an 8-1/4" stock A-body width.

The car is an original 340/4spd that came with an 8 3/4 rear end. I have not done any modifications and it is still in factory trim. No rolling the wheel lips, spring mods or anything. WIth Spring Mods I would have to dump at the rear axle. I like it to be a sleeper with the Exhaust Tips going all the way out to the rear of the car. Then I flip a switch and open the cut outs and I Bite them hard with the 410 stroker! :toothy10: haaaaaaaaa

maddart, Are those super stock springs? and where did you get 14x7 wheels? I would really like to try this set-up. it looks great!

Well here is my contribution to the thread and forum. I just picked these up for my 1974 Valiant (formerly 73SwingerBuild's) and took some pictures last weekend.

The tires are 215 fronts and 245/60/14 rears. The car has an 8 1/4 rear end, completely stock suspension, and rally wheels off of a 72 'Cuda.

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00752.jpg

Clearance to Springs:
DSC00755.jpg

Clearance to Fender:
DSC00754.jpg

DSC00757.jpg

Hopefully that can help someone out who is looking for wider tires.

maddart, Are those super stock springs? and where did you get 14x7 wheels? I would really like to try this set-up. it looks great!

They might be they came with the car when I bought it. Was never told they were and I haven't really looked for any markings on them to tell.

I got my wheels from a good friend of 25 years or so. I gave him a carb a while back as a gift and he just showed up one day with them and said put these on your car. I did have to buy the tires and I got them from Summit for 175.00 or so each. He has the same tire on his 340 4spd Dart!

You can get the wheels at wheel vintiques or stockton wheel........Or possibly from someone here on FABO? 14x7 with 4.25 Back Space. 255/60/14's

You could do the same thing with a 15 if you wanted to.

Ive got sort of a hodgepodge setup on my car, but here goes.

Im running an A-body 8.75 with the BBP B-body brakes (roadrunner stuff). I've been told the brakes have some effect on wheel backspacing, but don't know if its true.

With spring location and the body stock, I can fit a 26*10.50*15 ET street tire with a 15*8 Weld Pro star with 5.5" backspace. I do run a 3/8" wheel spacer. It is very tight but does not rub. I should also point out that I am running mono leaf springs, which may or may not help with clearance.

Tire is 26.1" high with an advertised 10.5" sidewall width. Should be very close to a 275/50 Drag radial, depending on which brand.

Your mileage may vary.

I don't currently have pics, but god willing, the car is coming out of storage this weekend!

Found one. best I can do right now.
IMG_0570.jpg

Steve

Valiant looks great man. Since we both have the 8-1/4 I'll probably just go with 245s to keep it clear...might use 4.25" BS though.. push the tires out towards the fenders a little.

-
Back