Tapping block for remote filter

-

Fishracer66

Lap, not 1/4 mile times!
Reaction score
Can anybody provide guidance on the block tapping conversion to use the two 3/8 NPT fittings for a remote filter/cooler install on a MP 340 small block? The two holes are so close to the edge of the filter lip there is no way that neither a straight nor a R/A AN-8 adapter will work without some serious metal carving. It appears that maybe a couple of 45 degree ones will and clear everything.

Anybody done this mod and directly connected AN fittings? (not using hose barbs). What needs to be done to tap the outlet hole? Does it need to be pre-drilled, or can it be directly tapped? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Mike

Attachments

• P1010416.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 244
I haven't sone that mod myself but have found the summit relocation kit worked excellent. The housing (from all manufacturers.) needed some minor porting work for max flow.

The MP engines book cover this that you want to do.

I put the block in a Bridgeport to do the drilling and tapping. It is much safer that way.

Attachments

• BLP_fittings.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 225
  • fittings.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 200
  • oil_lines.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 209
All Aussie Mopar V8's ran a factory remote filter setup. Put the filter up next to the dizzy which sort of sucked when it came to changing the filter.

I think I'd prefer the Canton unit; easier to support the lines off the adapter before they leave the block area and more compact. But nice work regardless.

I already have the canton unit, (my first choice too), but it hits the headers. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Why bother? It doesn't get that hot this side of the mountains. Big ol' trans cooler yeah, oil line semantics, no.

You've got them s8itty headers don't ya? Feel for you bro... Mine just went in the trash. Time for Doug's!

AndyF: Where did you buy the long adapters? If they fit my header arrangement, that might be the answer.....

Some of them came from BLP, I don't remember where the others came from. Probably Oil Filter Service in Portland.

-
Back