the all controversial MPG arguement

-

a12

Reaction score
The 383 engine is original to the car and was rebuilt by Carl Ruth of Reading, PA. It is .030 over bored with a slightly more aggressive cam. The pistons are 10:1, with hardened valve seals, electronic ignition, clutch fan, and a windage tray in the oil pan. (Original oil pan included). The stock transmission was also rebuilt. The car has the original 3:23 Sure Grip rear end and can cruise at 18 to 19 mpg.
taken from an E Bay ad. . . . . 18 to 19 with a Big block ??? . . .10 TO 12 sounds more realistic. But I'm sure someone is gonna post how there buddies 440 six pack with 4:10's got 15 mpg all day or their 383 Roadrunner with 3:91's got 17 mpg all day.
Let the controversy begin. It's all fun and games,so lets begin :lol:

I have a car with a similar 383 to yours. I have a four speed and 2.76 gears. It always gets 11 or so mpg when I drive it normally. Once on a 6 hour road trip I cruised at 60ish speeds the whole time and got 18. I thought something was wrong because the gas gauge wasn’t going down, thought it was a fluke but after more experimenting I can repeat the results. The whole time it’s in this “sweet spot” the AFR gauge is showing a slightly rich condition.

The 383 engine is original to the car and was rebuilt by Carl Ruth of Reading, PA. It is .030 over bored with a slightly more aggressive cam. The pistons are 10:1, with hardened valve seals, electronic ignition, clutch fan, and a windage tray in the oil pan. (Original oil pan included). The stock transmission was also rebuilt. The car has the original 3:23 Sure Grip rear end and can cruise at 18 to 19 mpg.
taken from an E Bay ad. . . . . 18 to 19 with a Big block ??? . . .10 TO 12 sounds more realistic. But I'm sure someone is gonna post how there buddies 440 six pack with 4:10's got 15 mpg all day or their 383 Roadrunner with 3:91's got 17 mpg all day.
Not gonna say that. But I am gonna say it’s not completely unheard of. It would have to be well tuned, or maybe even EFI, and the speeds would have to be kept at or under 55 mph on straight, flat highway driving. It’s still hard to believe but I think it could be done.

Mine gets shitting fuel mileage and the back tires keep wearing out faster than the front ones! :lol:

Straight up, no B.S., my (very lame) ‘78 - 400 w/a TQ, headers into a 2-1/2 exhaust, 727, 3.55 geared rear & 245/60/15’s did 17/18 mpg’s all day long in my ‘79 Magnum.

Yea My dad has a 64 polara convertible 383 car and he gets around 20mpg out on a cruise but has like 2.76 or something hwy gears,i think the gear plays the part for fuel eco.

It takes a good tuner with good equipment and an engine with good parts . It's not going to happen in metropolitan areas , period . Highway cruise , maybe . the fuel is a factor , also

I’ll second that! There is better duel on the other side of the river. The car confirms it every time.

The addition of a MSD is a great add on for mileage. The biggest benefit is seen in low speed operation.

Super tune the carb (lean on cruise) and ignition with a multiple spark box, open up the plug gap and you’ll do just fine.

I rate a car in ''smiles per gallon'' not in miles per gallon.
That being said, i have seen big block cars get up to 20 mpg depending on how they are driven and what gears are in it.
Driving at 55 mph and 2:76 gears with a reasonably tall 15'' tire it would be reasonable for a 383 B-Body for example.

Haven't had a BB in many years, but I believe the 18-19 mpg at cruise. At one time I had a 360 powered Cordova, don't remember the rear ratio. I had to replace the cam (bought that way cheap), so slight upgrade, did a trhee angle valve job with 33 degree seats, recurved the dist, and rejetted carb (dist and carb were ongoing). I had a Zemco on board mileage computer, and had a approx 40 mile drive loop for checking. Got it up to about 24 mpg hiway, but never could get more then 16-17 in combined hiway/town, and about 13 in town

Keep the cruise rpm below 2000 for best mileage.

This is a question that has been going through my head since I started my build, Ive always envisioned taking my car on long trips across the country if I ever get it finished. Hence the extra money on the tremec 5 speed and the fuel injection, mileage and reliability. But I have no idea what i can expect for mileage out of a 500 horse 408, only a 16 gallon tank.. not a huge deal in Cali where theirs a fuel station every 20 miles but in the mid west you can go 300 miles before you see something especially if you need 91. Im hoping for 15-16 at 80mph that's the interstate limits up here but i really dont have a clue...

I got 15 with my AAR with a .572 lift cam in it on the highway, my 2000 Silverado 5.3 gets 12 - 14 all day long no mater what.

I was never a careful driver back then, and did not even check "local" and "around town" mileage. but on a trip (I was stationed in San Diego) SD to LA and back or further it my 383 RR would get 15--17 or better. The 440-6 70RR with a single 800 dp Holley would get 13.8. But it was geared lower, had 3.54 gear and ran about 3000 at 70 Later, I swapped a low miles 340 into the 70 and it would get 17-17.5. Again, I was never 'that careful." When I got on a freeway I loved to "use" the ramp.

I see NO reason why some combos, with careful driving, especially llighter cars (mine were all B's) could not get the mileage figure you are questioning

My question is “why is a big block such a gas hog in some people’s head?” Honestly- it’s only slightly bigger than a 360ci block. Cubic inch is cubic inch. 360 vs 383?!? 23 cubes more. The cars are light - most are 3300lbs or less being unibody and if you stay off the throttle and run on primaries....

As for cars of today. My new trucks with aluminum utility bodies and 5.7 or 6.4 get the same mileage that my older (70’s) dodges got with only a 3speed auto and same gears and 360 engine... steel bodies back then. Same tools. 12mpg.

Now- why put questions out there just to start a controversial “war of words?” A12- got nothing better to do with your time?

My question is “why is a big block such a gas hog in some people’s head?”

I think when most people envision a big block, they think of something like a 460 Ford, which will suck a gas station dry just by driving past it.

20 years ago, I had a '65 New Yorker for a short time and it surprised me how easy it was on gas. I was big into GM stuff at the time but I had a buddy who was a long-time Mopar guy, and he told me the Chryslers were always more efficient than Ford or Chevy because the engines were a more efficient design. After learning more about Mopar engines, I tend to believe him.

Big blocks get worse mileage for several reasons and even though 23 cubes more isn’t an end all, it is 23 more cubes to feed.

The other things about the engine come into play. The intake and exhaust track abilities (cfm amounts) has a lot has to do with it as well as the cam installed. In which most big blocks have a generous cam by compare to a small block along with valve sizes. The extra weight of the engine and trans are minuses to the equation.

The 383 can go ether way really easy. The best way to go about a decent scoot for the engine is a small cam and extraordinarily efficient intake and exhaust tracks. Excellent timing of the cam & ignition coupled with a lean at cruise carb will carry you far.

IF,.... IF! The owner can spend on drivetrain, an overdrive is well worth it. Just balance the final drive cruise rpm with your rear gears and tire size to work with your cam and you will be in great shape.

At Part-Throttle, massive cylinder pressure is your friend. Cruise at the lowest rpm that your cam gets onto the highest vacuum plateau.Then crank up the timing and start leaning her out, PLUS put a throttle-stop on your carb, so that the rpm remains constant regardless of the terrain. A slippery shape and small frontal area are the finishing touches. Badaboom! Say hello to unheard of numbers.
The biggest sins I see to mileage are mostly not enough timing.
At 65=2250, my combo likes timing deeeeep into the 50s, even low 60s. How can you get there with the factory D? If your D rolls in 10* by 2250 and you start with 16, that totals just 26*. So you better have a working V-can. And it better be a massive one. But you are not likely to find much over 16*anymore, so now you are up to 42*, easily 10 to 18* short. I and others have found that you can mod your Vcan to about 22*,( perhaps 24 tops). So now you are up to 26+22=48*, still ~ 10* short. So what do you do? Well with an automatic and a Hi-stall you can start with 18 and let the D roll in maybe 18 and that will get you 18+18+22=58, and now you are there. Well except if the stall is 3600 and yur running it at 2250,lol.
But your 3.55 by 2.66low 4-speed car is not gonna like 18 initial, at low rpm.Nor is it gonna like power-timing of 36*@ 2250. So either the 3.55s (or less) gotta go. Or you are gonna need to figure something else out.
My solution was a dash-mounted, dial-back, timing device, with a range of 15 degrees.
I set it to 8*retard, 7* advance. I run initial of 14* to soften the pressure spikes, and run ~.78* per 100 rpm topping out at 28* at 2800, with another 4 coming in by ~3200. So at 2250 the engine is seeing 14+22+22=56* To which I can add upto 7 for a total of upto 63*.
At the other end, I can subtract 8 from the 14 to get 6* to idle around the parking lot at 550rpm=4 mph with 3.55s and the Commando-box with it's 3.09 low gear. That's how I cover the bases. With the previous 223* cam, vacuum peaking earlier, and a final-drive ratio of 3.55x.71x.78=1.97, I could tell you I once got 32mpgUS over a 600 mile trip, point to point; but some say that's impossible.
It ain't rocket science guys; low rpm, lean it out until it pukes then add timing, repeat until it burns the valves.Increase the lash for more seat time, then lean and advance some more. Add coil power if/when you have to
for best results I recommend aluminum heads at 185psi, tight-Q, and a minimum coolant temp of 207,lol. The 185psi will allow running about one cam size smaller for an earlier vacuum peak, without losing power compared to iron heads at 155psi, both of which should run 87 gas. At 207*F, I had to add some skirt clearance to my hypers.
IMO;this should work on any engine,but perhaps a lil better on the smaller bore/longer stroked ones.
IMO, for this type of combo, the 360 is as close to ideal as you can get. For example;
Build for build, at a 185psi limit, the 360 will pull ~10 index points more VP than a 340. That's usable torque that if you wanted to,your 360 could give away to make power.That is about exactly one cam size you can give to the 360 or take from the 340, to make same VPs.
So.......... now giving the 360 one cam size, she has 20 cubes and one cam size on the 340, and is making about the same strong bottom end ........... I know which combo I want for this application.
Of course VP is only important to manual trans cars and low-stall combos with low cruise rpms.......... which is, I think, what you would use for power with economy combos .
lol
'Course the 383 will out-VP the 360 by a good 10 points, build for build. So you could.................
Read about it here; V/P Index Calculation

Last edited:
What kind of car, I have a 383 very similar to that going into a 68 fury, big heavy car.

The vehicle its in should make a difference because some have aerodynamics of a brick and weigh

Got 20+ with my Dad's '67 SS396... 325 hp... T400... 2.73 gears. Rebuilt the Qjet when I was in GM Training School in '68. Used all the factory tools and gauges to do the rebuild and it ran great.

All depends on the car and tuning. I have a customer with a 422" small block, in a heavy E body, that gets that mileage and it's 480hp by the mph and weight. Another with a B wedge stroker 496", dyno'd 480 to the tires, that gets 15 in a heavier E body with a 727 behind it. Some guys can't get mileage to save their lives. Some can.

Got 20+ with my Dad's '67 SS396... 325 hp... T400... 2.73 gears. Rebuilt the Qjet when I was in GM Training School in '68. Used all the factory tools and gauges to do the rebuild and it ran great.

th (1).jpg

-
Back