The everyman's 360 LA Eddy headed engine dyno tested

-
used to read that bulletin while sitting on the toilet....it gives a power to weight ratio....does not say if the power is peak or an average....so guess on that one....

I'm sure I speak for many when I say you could have left the first part out and we would not have missed it lol!!

I think it is average P/W. I have used most of the math Chrysler published for decades and all of it works.

In fact, I still use the Chrysler numbers for gear ratio because even though the engineers and math guys tell me the constant SHOULD be 360 the ratio always works better using the Chrysler constants (340 for sticks and 355 for slush boxes).

used to read that bulletin while sitting on the toilet....it gives a power to weight ratio....does not say if the power is peak or an average....so guess on that one....
My little 367 went 93 in the 1/8th at 3467 me in it. What mph would that translate to in the qtr? or the P/W, or peak hp, or average? I still had 3 gears to go. I'm really curious to know how much that little power-house is making.
Well not me so much. I almost don't care. But everybody is always asking. I just say 400ish.

Last edited:
I agree, my own 318 engine dynoed at 411 hp, in a 3525lb car went everything from 13.1@111 to 12.3@111 depending on gears, converter and chassis set up thrown at it

great power for from a great combo with a good old cam. now being a street engine I would have liked to see a pull with an air filter and a water pump and mufflers etc.

great power for from a great combo with a good old cam. now being a street engine I would have liked to see a pull with an air filter and a water pump and mufflers etc.

Mufflers are present in fact 3 per bank and there is some restriction. Waterpump deduct 6-7 @ 5500+ rpm. Air filter I have done a lot of testing and depending on the base design, lid design and filter media could be zero loss and could be a loss of 8-10 hp @ higher rpms. J.Rob

I'd like to see it wrung out a little higher, cuz you know with an automatic, that thing will want to be shifted about 1000 rpm higher than the power peak; at least on the 1-2 shift.
I shifted mine at 6600,for rapid transit, and up to 7200 just showing off. Yeah she has some good springs.The power up there just seemed almost table-top flat, kindof like your graph is showing. I loved that cam.It was like a tractor; just pick a gear,any gear, and let her buck
I love that 2500up graph, what a sweetheart engine!Good job! Thx so much for posting that up

Last edited:
I will see if I can get the Dyno sheet from the iron head 360 that I mentioned, it is almost identical to this one in terms of power.
RAMM did you use the headers that are going in the car or are they Dyno headers?

They
I will see if I can get the Dyno sheet from the iron head 360 that I mentioned, it is almost identical to this one in terms of power.
RAMM did you use the headers that are going in the car or are they Dyno headers?

They were just Hedman truck headers with a 3" collector. J.Rob

First time I use this oil. I am impressed over all but it almost burned out my Makita drill while priming. I gotta wonder if power would have been a little better with a lighter oil. J.Rob

LOL! OH YES! And you know it. That is some thick oil.

I agree 100% the math is a small part of the story ,there are so many variables that must come in line .the track is the truth .nice motor by the way!

I agree, my own 318 engine dynoed at 411 hp, in a 3525lb car went everything from 13.1@111 to 12.3@111 depending on gears, converter and chassis set up thrown at it

But is always had the same MPH because the HP didn't change.

Even the 12.3 had some room for chassis/hook improvement.

I should have some results in an hour or two. The head flow is certainly better than an old used up "J" head with 3/8" stem 1.88's but it is still nothing to write home about. To be fair I did open the 318 sized ports on the manifold to the Felpro 1213 size but this manifold is nothing like the RPM series. I bet an RPM would be 10-20HP better than whatever this can muster. J.Rob
Built a 340, 9.5 comp 160 psi ,284 .528 purple solid xheads 2.02 cfm222/218 int 187/192 exh , ld340, Holley 750, headmans 1 5/8-392 hp.
As always I like the reality in your posts, thank you.

Built a 340, 9.5 comp 160 psi ,284 .528 purple solid xheads 2.02 cfm222/218 int 187/192 exh , ld340, Holley 750, headmans 1 5/8-392 hp.
As always I like the reality in your posts, thank you.

You're welcome and thanks for logging cranking compression. Most engine guys don't even realize how important those numbers are. <<< major hint right there. J.Rob

Dyno from a very similar build with the same cam, 750 AED, airgap, factory smog heads cleaned up... this is a great street engine, when I build my next 360 I will be looking for similar power characteristics...

IMG_0814.JPG

-
Back