The Other 68 Dart Resto Project

-
Looks real good, Any plans to paint the trunk or engine compartment ?

Looks real good, Any plans to paint the trunk or engine compartment ?
Nope, I like the patina. :toothy7:

Actually, As soon As I have the new engine together, I will pull the old one and drop the K-frame, paint the engine compartment, rebuild the front suspension, and then paint the K-frame. Probably sometime in Feb-Mar.

I was going to paint the trunk, but now I will wait until I get the minitubs done, after all, why cut and grind on fresh paint?

Just wondering. Is there somebody we can't see in the background cracking a whip on your ***? I'm WAY too old to get things done as fast as you do without some real motivation & I think I want to see this thing in paint almost as bad as you do!

Cracking a whip? Yeah, you guys! :blackeye:

Priming is done, time to start block sanding it with the 24" block and 220 paper on the largest flattest surfaces (fender sides and trunk lid), I used a smaller series of blocks with 320 paper on the rest, I followed it up with Maroon 3M Scotch-brite pads. Last night I sprayed the fenders and trunk lid with SEM guide coat, its better than paint or primer because it does not clog sandpaper and you can get a fine mist to cover a bigger area, I hold the can about 18" back. I also used a 3/16 fine line tape to define the fender lines, then I blocked up to the line. I found a few low and high spots, I am going to spray another coat and then block those areas again.

100_1753.jpg

100_1756.jpg

100_1755.jpg

100_1754.jpg

100_1752.jpg

100_1759.jpg

100_1758.jpg

100_1757.jpg

I picked up the paint and clear Saturday, and I got to see the guys 68 Chevelle that was painted with the exact same stuff. It looked good. Unfortunately I was not able to get any sealer, I will have to call around Monday.

Also, while blocking the driver's door, I noticed a series of dimples. I decided to grind down a little to see what it was, this is what I found. A bunch of cheap bondo and a crappy repair job. I did a little more grinding after I took this picture and it was even thicker on the top. I am going to keep grinding away until all the cheap beige bondo is gone. I will have to bang it out a bit, then weld the holes shut, and then lay in some good Evercoat filler.

100_1765.jpg

100_1766.jpg

100_1769.jpg

100_1770.jpg

what the heck is that? bullet holes?

JAson

Worse, a jackass with a slide hammer. I knew the repair was there, it looked good and solid, so I left it, big mistake. The dimples were where the holes were, the newer stuff on top of old caused it to shrink. This was the only spot on the whole car where I left old filler. I should have gotten rid of the old Bondo and taken a look to see what was there. I am going to do it right and get rid of all the bad stuff, knock out the dents a bit, weld the holes, and lay down some quality filler.

kudos to you............paint work is long-slow work.............i respect someone that has the patience.

I have never had patience, but I have less money, so patience is a side effect. And I am afraid of people looking at my paint job and laughing.

Today I picked up a pint of PPG Omni 2008 Viper Red for the rear stripe. I am going to paint it on, mask the stripe, then spray the black, then spray clear over both.

34321.jpg

I finished stripping the door last night (I helps to have the right tools). I was stripping everything back wherever I saw that cheap tan Bondo, I used a stripper wheel. I started with a 7" wheel in my 19.2V drill, but I kep killing batteries and spent several days charging. I got frustrated yesterday and went down to Harbor Freight and picked up a 4" stripper wheel that fit my Grinder, I got the door done in about 20 minutes.

I found 15 holes, not just little screw holes, but monster size 1/4" holes. This morning I welded up the holes and spent about 2 hours trying to hammer the panels flat. #$%@^&! That was frustrating as hell. I have to admit that a hammer hits were done out of anger, rather than neccesity. :angry8:

I finally layed down a layer of good filler, I will start sanding it down tonight.

100_1776.jpg

100_1782.jpg

100_1781.jpg

100_1786.jpg

I also blocked the hood yesterday, I found a few high and low spots. It goes to show you, no matter how perfect you think something is, there is only one way to know.

100_1777.jpg

Yup good catch there... W/a blk car everything has to be perfect...

Jason

I fell your pain bro. It is hard not getting too frustrated. I just have to keep telling myself it will get done.....just keep at it. Meticulous man. I like it.

it will pay off when you look at mirror like reflections in the paint. doing great man.

Dude it's never going to end EVER!!! Are we ever going to meet up at the strip?!? Well one thing for sure knowing your attention to detail, it's going to be beautiful!!!:thumbup:

Yeah, its easy to buy a new Ram and buy a few bolt on parts for it. =;
Compared to what you're doing VERY easy. But I wouldn't consider heads, cam, headers, electric fan, converter, valve body, Caltracs, drop....etc just a few bolt on parts!! I got lots of blood, sweat, AND money invested in this truck!! So with that being said, hurry YO AZZ UP so we can start racing again!!! :grin:

Im still working on it!

I have stripped the drivers door down three times and tried to make it better, finally I used a torch and a wet rag to shrink the stretched metal on the door. It looks like it worked, no more oilcanning. :thumblef:

I'm back on track, as soon as I finish the door, its time for more primer, then paint.

I finished the door today, I think I got it pretty straight I used fineline tape to make sure the panel creases are perfect. It looks like I saved the door, now I just need to get it primed again.

I got the the 383 that I had machined prepped for hibernation, eventually it will be fitted with a stroker crank and aluminum heads, but for now, nap time.

I spent some time checking everything out on the new engine. The engine going in it next month will be the 400 shortblock I have with 9.25:1 pistons, I got the heads for it last week, portmatched 906 heads. Its getting a Mopar .509 lift / 292 duration cam, RPM intake, and a Demon carb. I have a lead on a set of 3.23 gears and I'm looking into high stall converters for the 727 trans I am going to have rebuilt.

-
Back