The tear-down of Jake's 65 begins....

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
So between rollin my son's 65 into the garage Saturday afternoon, and this evening, we have removed the camaro bucket seats, the rear end and the fuel tank..... believe it or not, the sending unit still reads on an ohm meter.....

Attachments

• sending unit.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,946
Nope. It's too far gone. the only part of it that wasn't rusted thru was the variable resistor. The swing arm is about ready to break in a couple of places and the fuel tube looks more like a sprinkler hose you would lay in your garden for irrigation......

So your finally starting the resto on your sons 65, good for you! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. Do you have any pics from before the teardown? Jim

As we found it in July.... and the washdown 5 days later... I've got some others on my laptop.

Attachments

• Jake's Cuda.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,837
  • Jakes cuda 7232011.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,834
Thanks pettyblue... as far as being a great score - he gave the old guy $400 for the car - yes I let him even tho it needs the ever elusive rear 1/4's...

since dragging it home:
we've picked up a full left 1/4 and rear valance - shipped from Alabama
a pair of better fenders (just about stole them) even tho his are very usable,
a perfect hood for - again his was usable but this one is perfect, small bolt rallys complete with cone centers and trim rings for a song,
a 7-1/4 sure-grip drum/drum still on the leaf springs with new brake hardware for the second verse,
I have a rust free trunk lid and maybe a right side 1/4 from Iowa, in Pittsburgh of all places, waiting for me (I'm gonna have to wear my Ravens jersey when I go pick 'em up)

3 days after buying the 7-1/4, a co-worker of mine asked me if I wanted an 8-3/4 rear from a Dart for $150 that his dad-in-law has lying around getting in the way... talk about a good score!!!!

As we dismantle, pics will be posted... note the markings on the fuel tank in the pic that started this thread... if/as we find that kind of stuff we'll post pics.

I love reading and following along with family projects.

It's good to see another abody get rescued. Seems like a good project. What is your plans?

nope - Camaro seats were made to fit the original bucket seat tracks...

plans - keep the 273 for him, maybe a little cam and a small 4brl, picked up a sure-grip 7-1/4 w/3.23's (and just picked up an A body 8-3/4 sure-grip drum to drum for $150), black on black with a plumb crazy Formula S stripe.

Got just about all of the interior out this evening... floor boards opened up a little - nothing that wasn't expected.

Attachments

• jake in 2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,732
  • jake in.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,748
  • floor rt r.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,729
  • floor rt.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,720
  • floor lf r.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,756
  • floor lf.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,737
Finished gutting the interior this afternoon, as well as removing the rest of the exterior trim. Trunk is solid, believe it or not. Check out the tow tabs (that are welded to the frame) and the wiring for the brake lights to work when the previous owner flat towed it behind his motorhome.... It's time to squeeze the rear window out....any pointers????

Attachments

• tow tab.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,701
  • hoodless.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,741
  • trunk.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,733
  • from the trunk.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,704
So we were busy on it again this afternoon... front is stripped of it's sheet metal, and all we have to do is get the hoist out of the shed and lift the engine/trans out of it. Everything is unbolted. It was raining buckets and I wasn't going to get soaked between the shed and the garage for the hoist, sowe removed all the front sheet metal instead, and cleaned up the 10 lbs of rust and debris that has fallen off so far....I was surprised to find all the splash shields in one piece, and the area behind them down the sides of the firewall to be totally rust free and still the original red. We won't get a chance to touch it again until Saturday or Sunday..... Lates pic of how it sits now. Check out the trans mount.....

Attachments

• fenderless.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,679
  • trans mount.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,685
That insulator is the worst I ever seen. Feels great when you replaced all the trashed stuff. Interesting to follow the thread.

The way I have removed the rear windows on the several I have dove is run a razor knife around the glass to cut the seal in 1/2 and remove the outside 1/2 then get inside and push it out with your back by standing up. I have done 4 this way so far.

Save yourself the headache of replacing the 7 1/4 with your new 8 3/4.You know,the one you stole for $150?LOL

Sure the 7 1/4 can handle the 273,but once Jr. here,s the tires chirrping,well enough said.:eek:ops:

Save yourself the headache of replacing the 7 1/4 with your new 8 3/4.You know,the one you stole for $150?LOL

Sure the 7 1/4 can handle the 273,but once Jr. here,s the tires chirrping,well enough said.:eek:ops:

Stole????!!!??? The guy practically paid me to take it...LOL LOL LOL.... and if he doesn't break the 7-1/4, I will....:burnout:

Pulled the heart of her today... I've never lthe motor/trans together before - I've always seperated them while in the car....was interesting, but the motor is seized up, so we did it as a unit. Hoping to be able to save it, but if not, I have a 69 318 to donate to it. After cutting the exhaust pipe off, and unbolting the left exhaust manifold, out she came..... We did verify that it's an early model year build car - the engine (is original and doesn't appear to been apart before) was cast in Aug 1964. We did not find a build sheet anywhere in the car when we removed the interior.

Attachments

• engine out.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,610
Left side floors are patched. Right side are cut out for the most part..... We're using his original dented and cancered in the front edge hood to make the floors..... That way we can say we retained the original hood...LOLOLOLOLOL. I have come to realize a factory undercoated car can be far worse than one would suspect.... When we dragged it home, we knew there was a 6 inch hole in the right front floor......who'da thunk it................................................

Attachments

• LF floor patched.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 1,574
  • rr rear floor cut out.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,585
  • RF floor cut out.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,562
I figured I should get in on this build on the ground floor since Jake's the winner of one of my 2011 Young Guns Contest prizes. It'll be a fun one to follow! I look forward to working with both of you! :-D

So my son made his own id "jakes65" but I must have the only teenager that doesn't live on the web....not a bad thing, I'd say. sooooo..... latest update - wife said lets have pizza last night. Since I needed a big enough piece of cardboard to make floor templates, I said sure - get an extra large cuz I need the box...lol... Got the patches cut out of his original hood. One night this coming week we'll start putting them in place.

Attachments

• template[1].JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,541
Sweet project. :) I have some orig bucket seat cores if you need them. Are you going back red with it?

-
Back