This is for 340 builders

-
We are at .040 over. The heads you talk about sound great. I really like the lift with out the mods. The valve size will be fine.
By any chance to you know the compression ration. Thank you very much for the info. I will for sure check them out.

im asuming those hues heads would be a significant improvement over the 340 j heads. and it wouldnt be nesecary to go 202 valves for up to 500hp. what kind of cam would you need to feed it.

I was told an old stock class trick was to use the steel crank from a 318 (lighter = revs). The 1967 -1969? 318 rods are floating pin rods. Here is a link to heads from Indycylinder. For the price they seem fine. Big ss valves, heavy springs. "J" heads are $100 more.
http://www.aeroheadracing.com/id6.html

We are at .040 over. The heads you talk about sound great. I really like the lift with out the mods. The valve size will be fine.
By any chance to you know the compression ration. Thank you very much for the info. I will for sure check them out.

Compression with the Indy/RHS X heads at 62cc would be right at 10.55:1 with a .054 gasket and the pistons at 0 deck. Deck height for 0 should be 9.588, if you dont deck it that much you would use a thinner gasket to keep the compression in the 10 range! I would use a .043 thick gasket if you did not deck the block cause the pistons will be in the hole about .012 and then your compression will still be 10.538:1

Call mancini and see if the KBR 107 pistons for a 360 are available in 4.080 bore size. If not you will need to find some that are 1.675 Compression Height in that bore size with the valve reliefs cut in them. I or someone on this site can help you find the pistons if they say they are not available.

If the block is not bored I would go only .030 over bore and then I know for sure the pistons are available from mancini. I have a set on my parts shelf right now.

This is a budget stroker build that will make SICK power for how much money you will have into it. Dollar for Dollar it is a WIN WIN situation.

I am building a 349 stroker right now with the same concept only using a 318 block. I will have 3k into the whole thing Carb to Pan and ALL NEW parts!

im asuming those hues heads would be a significant improvement over the 340 j heads. and it wouldnt be nesecary to go 202 valves for up to 500hp. what kind of cam would you need to feed it.

I am going to use a XE284 from Comp, Hydraulic Flat Tappet. Cheap price also at Summit $120.00

This cam is .537/.540 lift with 241/246* Duration @ 50
C/L is 110*

I am going to use a XE284 from Comp, Hydraulic Flat Tappet. Cheap price also at Summit $120.00

This cam is .537/.540 lift with 241/246* Duration @ 50
C/L is 110*

With the stroker build you have outlined for my 340.
how would this cam work with it

Duration @.050 488°/510° Lift at valves .488/.510 lope sep. 112°
centerline 107°
hyd. flat lifters
let me knowwhat you think

I think you might have the numbers wrong in the post is it 288* @ 50 with 510 lift ?? if it is I would say the duration at 50 is TOO much........

Check your numbers again, what kind of cam is it?

Ah sh I did put in the wrong duration @.050. Sorry about that. They say the eyes are the first to go LOL.
The rightduration @.050 is 234°/244°.
The cam is an Edelbrock performer RPM Part Number 7177.
This car is going to be street only. Not a daily driver but I will put high miles on it. May drive it to work 2 weeks out of each month. Trips around So Cal. Want a dependable street motor with a little kick to it. Dont want it shaking and rolling when I'm at a stop light. Want to make a sleeper, you know what I mean.
You sound like you have a tremendous amount knowledge of latest technology for engines. I'm old school, have been building engines since the early 60's. Forgot more then I now know.

Ah sh I did put in the wrong duration @.050. Sorry about that. They say the eyes are the first to go LOL.
This car is going to be street only. Not a daily driver but I will put high miles on it. May drive it to work 2 weeks out of each month. Trips around So Cal. Want a dependable street motor with a little kick to it. Dont want it shaking and rolling when I'm at a stop light. Want to make a sleeper, you know what I mean.
You sound like you have a tremendous amount knowledge of latest technology for engines. I'm old school, have been building engines since the early 60's. Forgot more then I now know.

That cam should be fine! With the 112 lobe seperation. It shouldnt be knocking you fillings out or anything like that. haaaaa

That cam is fairly rough at idle. And you'll give up about 15HP over Comp's XE 274 cam. Unless you have it already, I'd go another route.
I did a 340 for a guy who bought the "rpm" package and it made 360HP on our dyno. Edelbrock says 390HP I think...different dyno's and probably a little fudging to SELL kit's maybe...?

But it only held 12" of vacume at 1000rpm. You can definitely hear it!!

-
Back