Ticking noise /

-

504DusterIR

Reaction score
Hi there, I started my car the other day an there was a tick so I changed spark plugs and wires ,which one of the plugs was cracked down the porcelain, also changed oil ,started car an ticking noise still there I feel like it got louder. it was at night so I didn't do to much looking into it any suggestions on where to start before I start taking it apart, I seen that it could be timing,any advice will help thank you

Ok I plan on taking a video an I'll post it ...ok I bought new valve covers so I'll be checking them when I take off

If you can, put the car in a garage, open the hood, start the car and turn out the garage lights. Rev it a little and Look around the engine for arcing from the plug wires. Obviously be careful and only run the car for a minute or so. Leave the garage door half open with the exhaust exiting out the half open door.

CRYSTAL BALL.jpg

If you have an ign problem like you originally had, would expect some roughness in the idle. If idle is smooth, I would look elsewhere for mechanical noise.

Lifter tick is my guess. I had a 318 ram that i changed the oil on and upon completion it collapsed a lifter instantly on startup. Drained a quart of oil, put in a quart of lucas oil stabilizer, and that tick vanished into nothingness in about 6 seconds. I dont buy much into snake oil, but that stuff cleaned/popped that lifter!!!

-
Back