Time for a NEW car!!

-

360Duster75

Reaction score
Ok so the time has come for a NEW car. I how been looking around and narrowed my choice to a 2013 Challenger R/T Plus or a 2014 Camaro SS. I admit I'm a Chevy guy at heart but the Challenger blew me away with the interior space. What do you guys think about both? Pros and cons on both. And no I will not buy a mustang.

Well, this IS a Mopar site...you don't expect someone to recommend a Chevy, now do you?

My vote...the Chally, of course!!

2nd place....Mustang...

and, a very distant 3rd...Crapmaro.

well, this is a mopar site...you don't expect someone to recommend a chevy, now do you?

My vote...the chally, of course!!

2nd place....mustang...

And, a very distant 3rd...crapmaro.

x2!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a new Challenger over a year ago. It is my first ever new car. I don't regret it one bit. They are great cars. :thumbup:

Just to be fair, I did drive a Shelby Mustang and checked out the Camaro (didn't drive it, no rear visibility and tiny trunk kills it for me.)

Dallas

I've driven all three in 2011 years.First choice is the Mustang 5.0, I loved the car felt gresat and very confident on the road. Definatly the fastest.second, Challenger, pig heavy, but held itself well on the road, and it was COMFERTABLE!third, if you want to call it that, Camaro... HARSH ride, hated the rear visability since it had virtually NONE!Now if power isn't occupying the number one or two spot, I'd choose Challenger, Mustang and then Camaro if it HAS to be included.

I do not physically fit in the camaro.
There is no way I cold own one.

I am borderline in the Challenger.
As stated the power to weight is the worst of the three.

I do fit quite comfortably in the mustang.
Why can't the others figure out how to get that headroom for me?

gm's in general have been a problem for me for headroom for a long time.
Historically pre 1980's RWD Chryslers had about 1.5 inches more headroom than the others.

The recent (post 2005) RWD cars eliminated that and are just as bad as gm.

Boooo. Hissss.

I don't care how nice or fast a car is, if I can't fit in it, I can't buy it.

HotRod (Fed. 2014 issue) magazine just did a comparison between the Challenger, the Camaro, and the Mustang.

They compared the Factory big dogs of each brand.
The Challenger SRT8 (6.4L Hemi) 470 hp @ 6000 R's, 470 lb/ft @ 4200
vs.
The Camaro ZL1 (6.2L Supercharged) 580 hp@6000, 556 lb/ft @4200
vs.
The Mustang GT500 (5.8L Supercharged DOHC) 662 ho @5800, 631 lb/ft @4000.

Best runs in Drag race @ Irwindale :
Mustang 8.57 @93 mph.
Camaro 8.47 @ 88 mph
Challenger 8.72 @ 85 mph

Best top speeds @ Mojave Mile (actually "Mojave Magnum standing 1.5 mile)
All three cars tech rated as 175 MPH top speed.

Top Speeds:
Mustang 187 mph,
Camaro 178,
Challenger 174.

On the road. A 500 mile road trip up the Pacific Coast Hwy to north of Malibu to hwy 101, and then to hwy 246 to Lompoc. The course gave the drivers both Highway and city driving experiences.
The opinions of the drivers:
Camaro felt the "most well rounded"

There's a lot of commentary about the driving experiences of the three cars in this section of the story. You'd need to read these comments for yourself.

PRICES:
Mustang GT500 - Base: $54,650.00 as tested:$65,870.00
Camaro ZL1 - Base: $54,995.00 as tested: $61140.00
Challenger SRT8 - Base: $38,995.00, as tested: $41,410.00

And there is the big news. For $20K less then the Camaro, and nearly $25K less than the Mustang, you can have a naturally aspirated MoPar, that is competitive with Supercharged versions of the Camaro and Mustang.

Best bang for the buck: Challenger, hands down.

...and you can drop a supercharger on the Challenger for about $5000.00, still be between $15K and $20K cheaper than the Camero and Mustang (respectively), and probably best all three conditions above.

The secret....

2013/2014 V6 Mustang with the V6 Performance Package ($1995 Option).
Under $25,000 (MSRP). 30 MPG. Should get you into the mid 13s with little effort.

Next would be the Challenger R/T

The Camaro isn't something I would own for many reasons, #1 being visibility.

HotRod (Fed. 2014 issue) magazine just did a comparison between the Challenger, the Camaro, and the Mustang.

They compared the Factory big dogs of each brand.
The Challenger SRT8 (6.4L Hemi) 470 hp @ 6000 R's, 470 lb/ft @ 4200
vs.
The Camaro ZL1 (6.2L Supercharged) 580 hp@6000, 556 lb/ft @4200
vs.
The Mustang GT500 (5.8L Supercharged DOHC) 662 ho @5800, 631 lb/ft @4000.

Best runs in Drag race @ Irwindale :
Mustang 8.57 @93 mph.
Camaro 8.47 @ 88 mph
Challenger 8.72 @ 85 mph

Best top speeds @ Mojave Mile (actually "Mojave Magnum standing 1.5 mile)
All three cars tech rated as 175 MPH top speed.

Top Speeds:
Mustang 187 mph,
Camaro 178,
Challenger 174.

On the road. A 500 mile road trip up the Pacific Coast Hwy to north of Malibu to hwy 101, and then to hwy 246 to Lompoc. The course gave the drivers both Highway and city driving experiences.
The opinions of the drivers:
Camaro felt the "most well rounded"

There's a lot of commentary about the driving experiences of the three cars in this section of the story. You'd need to read these comments for yourself.

PRICES:
Mustang GT500 - Base: $54,650.00 as tested:$65,870.00
Camaro ZL1 - Base: $54,995.00 as tested: $61140.00
Challenger SRT8 - Base: $38,995.00, as tested: $41,410.00

And there is the big news. For $20K less then the Camaro, and nearly $25K less than the Mustang, you can have a naturally aspirated MoPar, that is competitive with Supercharged versions of the Camaro and Mustang.

Best bang for the buck: Challenger, hands down.

...and you can drop a supercharger on the Challenger for about $5000.00, still be between $15K and $20K cheaper than the Camero and Mustang (respectively), and probably best all three conditions above.

never could figure out why they always compare supercharged to non-supercharged! why don`t they make the playin field even by none of them being blown. they could even add weight to the lite ones and then see what`s up. of course they`ll never do that!------------just tryin to think----bob:wack:

I have never driven a new challenger but did drive a new camaro rental. I was not happy with the site lines from the dirvers seat at all, car looks cool, but all I could see was fenders.

I just got done renting a Camaro RS. Not very impressed at all and a major blind spot with the convertible.

Don't get anything new. They're all pieces of ****.

Don't get anything new. They're all pieces of ****.
Agree. If your going to spend that kind of money why not get something made in the late 60's or early 70's. All the newer clones are just that, although they have power windows, ecu's ,airbags, and a bunch of other stuff that is a pain to work on. The newer stuff is not for me. I'd go with the challenger based on bias.

I have only drove a new Challenger so that's all I have to go on. It was a 2013 SRT a buddy bought new last spring. I thought it drove real nice, handled good for a heavy car, ran real strong and had plenty of elbow room and I could see out of it ok. Even though I'm not a big guy I like elbow room and something I can see out of. Last year we went to the winter car show they have at St. Louis and sat in a new Camaro and Mustang to see how comfy they were and see how visibility was. Neither of us could see squat out of the Camaro so there's no way we'd ever buy one. The Mustang was comfy and visibility was ok. If we ever get to the point of buying something like that I'll give all 3 a try but I highly doubt I'd ever get a Camaro. And this comes from a guy that is not a Chevy basher. I had a few when I was young and some were decent cars. Really like one 70 Chevelle I had.

Challenger SRT8 first - and hopefully this Monday :). The Camaro is a typical Chevy piece of junk. Spend an hour behind the wheel and you'll see first hand. They are flashy and techy but still real crap quality that GM has been known for for decades - and the 360 visibility sucks really bad.
At least this HR comparison used the SRT8 Chally. The last one I read put an R/T up against the top cars..... What the heck kind of comparison is it to put a $40K normally aspirated car up against two $65K supercharged cars???

never could figure out why they always compare supercharged to non-supercharged! why don`t they make the playin field even by none of them being blown. they could even add weight to the lite ones and then see what`s up. of course they`ll never do that!------------just tryin to think----bob:wack:

They compared the top dogs from each manufacture. It's not their fault that fiat comes up short. They compared the cars as can be bought. That is an even playing field.

For me it would be the mustang number one. Love that car. Driven a few. Rented a v6 rag top. Put a few hundred miles on it. Very impressive. Guy on moparts has a v6 with performance package and he has gone 13.8 in the quarter with it.

Second I'd probably go camaro. I like the looks more then the bloated challenger. Though I have never driven the camaro so that may change.

Third is the fat *** back of the pack challenger by fiat. Drove a srt 13 hours to South Carolina for a friend. I will say it is a good touring car. Handled well, those huge brakes stopped on a dime and it was practally idling at 80mph in 6th gear. But in the end I just don't like it it's too fat looking, sides are too flat looking and the rear us plain goofy loking to me. the lack of quality that car had was amazing. Then having to deal with a crappy Chrysler dealer to fight to get the crap fixed. No thank you. They can keep that tank.

I like the Challenger mostly because I'm a Mopar guy and like Bob stated it"s the best bang for the buck! I am surprised to see that there's really not that much difference in performance between the three in the Hot Rod test when you consider the other 2 cars are supercharged. I am part owner in a 2010 SRT8 and really like what I see so far. (although I haven't driven mine yet nor have I driven a Mustang or a Camaro for comparison) Challenger, Mustang, Camaro in that order. tmm

Attachments

• IMG_20131119_101222.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 202
-
Back