Trick flow 270s or 240s on a 383?

-
fyi, younggun2.0 had trick flow heads on his 383 before he upgraded to 470.

Well I pulled the trigger on the Trick Flow 240s. Darn I missed the coupon sale and that would have saved me $200. I will let you know how it goes when they get here.

TF heads, as nice as they are, probably wouldn’t be my choice for a 383 with a mid-sized cam a two speed trans.
But $$ per cfm, they’re a bargain and hard to ignore.
I hope you do it, since I wouldn’t....... and I’d like to see how it turns out.

I can do my own head work, so my view on what to use is different than someone who is paying to have work done.

I’m not sure the trw 383 dome will clear the TF chamber without some trimming(it might, it might not).

Also, it’s very rare that a home ported 906 would flow 280.
Typically more like 240-260, with flow dropping off above .500-ish.

This is another one of those things that would make for an interesting test.
Ported 906’s vs TF240 vs TF270 vs ?? .........On a stock stoke 383.

I like your thinking on the TF 240 vs 383, as in...just as curious how it works out.
As for the 906... it's a decent head and when ported by someone familiar with these heads...280 cfm with a stock 2.08 by .500 lift is very real. Last set I flowed 1st reman since factory peaked @228 cfm.
Like a slant head there isn't much in the roof, the real gains are all in the ssr n floor.

OP, I vote for the 240 version.

Well I pulled the trigger on the Trick Flow 240s. Darn I missed the coupon sale and that would have saved me $200. I will let you know how it goes when they get here.

Great!!
Looking forward to the results!!

FWIW, since I can do my own heads and the cost isn’t a factor, if I were trying to make that kind of power(575hp) from a 383, I’d use some ported E Street 75cc heads.
At that power level the TF’s might be the better choice........ but I doubt I’ll ever actually know(with regards to a 383)........ since if I were planning on using some TF’s........ I’d just put them on more cubes.

FWIW 2- My 383 made 485hp with unported 906’s(233cfm), RPM intake and a .560 lift solid cam.
11.18@123 @3550lbs.

Last edited:
Well I got my TF 240s in and doing some measuring. Looks like they are going to work. Piston to head, piston to valve, and valve to cylinder wall clearance checked out with the cam straight up. Now to take it apart and clean and reassemble...

Well the results are in, I give the trickflow 240s ! That is two thumbs up! From a 10.29 to a 9.75. That is a half second from changing the heads from home ported 906 with bigger valves to the 240s. My car is in the left lane and my son’ 1968 dart with a 440.

DBF4CB2C-2D5C-4D4B-B78A-1F19D4E4BD9D.jpeg

Sweet Jesus, that was a close race. :)

Edit: even though your son redlighted...

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, I have a 750 double pumper, a 5000 stall converter in a two speed powerglide transmission, and a 4.30 rear axle. I race 1/4 mile and only have one track here on the Island. Let me know if you need any more info on the car.

If you still have the 750 DP on the engine then I'd try a bigger carb if you're looking to go faster. You might also want to have the intake manifold ported. I'm guessing that you're around the 625 hp range? What does the car weigh with you in it? 2900?

I like your thinking on the TF 240 vs 383, as in...just as curious how it works out.
As for the 906... it's a decent head and when ported by someone familiar with these heads...280 cfm with a stock 2.08 by .500 lift is very real. Last set I flowed 1st reman since factory peaked @228 cfm.
Like a slant head there isn't much in the roof, the real gains are all in the ssr n floor.

OP, I vote for the 240 version.

Not belittling anyone here, but all my chevy friends laugh at the mopar head flows, even after reworking them . I had that much w/ a cheap set of holley alum. heads that we reworked !
And compared to a rat head----------------

Not belittling anyone here, but all my chevy friends laugh at the mopar head flows, even after reworking them . I had that much w/ a cheap set of holley alum. heads that we reworked !
And compared to a rat head----------------
And cylinder heads (flow) has always been a short coming for us MoPar guys. The Chevy guys can get a head flowing what we consider outrageous flow numbers very easy as there actual a common and easy to get head for them. And way cheaper.

Well the results are in, I give the trickflow 240s ! That is two thumbs up! From a 10.29 to a 9.75. That is a half second from changing the heads from home ported 906 with bigger valves to the 240s. My car is in the left lane and my son’ 1968 dart with a 440.

View attachment 1715340174
Well I got my TF 240s in and doing some measuring. Looks like they are going to work. Piston to head, piston to valve, and valve to cylinder wall clearance checked out with the cam straight up. Now to take it apart and clean and reassemble...
:thumbsup:

-
Back