Tube or no Tube

-

Dart 67 sedan

Reaction score
I would like to hear your opinions on this . I'm getting ready to mount a set M/T 28x 10.5 15
slicks on my 67 Dart for drag racing. One man tells me run tubes the next says to put in bolts.
The wheels are already drilled and have bolts in them. M/T says run tubes, I have M/T's on the car now without tubes and have had no problem. I am stepping up hp at the same time. Any thoughts would help. Thanks

We run tubes in ours,1 m/t states to run them,2 it helps stiffen the side wall depending how hard your hitting and it helps keep the air in while sitting just my 2cents.

My general rule of thumb was to run tubes if the car weighs more than 3500 pounds and has more than 600HP.
On lighter or lower powered cars, I've run tubeless with rim screws and had no problems. My Valiant will be around 2900 pounds and about 650 rwhp. I don't plan on running tubes with it. Also, tubeless can make a small improvement in ET due to the reduced rotating/unsprung mass.
I've heard good arguments both ways.

my car weighs in at 2700w/ driver and hp should be around 550 give or take. so tubeless sounds good. Unless someone has a better idea. Thanks

I would like to hear your opinions on this . I'm getting ready to mount a set M/T 28x 10.5 15
slicks on my 67 Dart for drag racing. One man tells me run tubes the next says to put in bolts.
The wheels are already drilled and have bolts in them. M/T says run tubes, I have M/T's on the car now without tubes and have had no problem. I am stepping up hp at the same time. Any thoughts would help. Thanks

If u run tubes, and get it hooked up, w/ a lot of h.p. , u better screw them too . The tires will turn and tear the valvestem out of the tube. Ask me how I know !!

Tubeless can be a pita keeping air in them. But, I run tubeless because I'm a weight reduction junkie.

Went tubeless and screws. thanks for all the input guys

You'll likely need to run more tire pressure without a tube in there. Also, tubes help with a chassis that beats up on the tire. If you start having tuning issues with the chassis, first thing I'd do is add tubes.

Your worried about the weight of a couple of tubes? Explain in detail the ET time gained in that? Run less fuel in the tank so it runs dry thru the traps. That should reduce your weight.
:thumbsup:

Painted cars are heavier too. Is this car bare metal? You know? Weight reduction.
:)

i would follow the manufactors recommendations. Without tubes you should have at least two wheel humps.With tubes you'll have more security if your car goes sideways and peels of the sidewall.

I run tubes and screws. They honestly don't hold air all that great even with tubes. I race with enough guys that run tubeless that my next car probably won't have them.

What to do when the tire manufacturer says to run tubes, but can't tell you where to get the right size? M&H 22.5x8x13

Maybe from a lawn tractor or some other implement. Kim
That's a good idea. However, don't slicks require a stronger, made for slicks tube? I never ran tubes, but kinda remember the tubes being special and expensive. The lawn tractor tubes I've used were cheap, Chinese POS. Maybe there's something better?

That's a good idea. However, don't slicks require a stronger, made for slicks tube? I never ran tubes, but kinda remember the tubes being special and expensive. The lawn tractor tubes I've used were cheap, Chinese POS. Maybe there's something better?

A tractor tube should be ok. That's an odd sized tire really.

I'd have to go out and see if I run tubes on my cheater slicks. I don't think so...but I'm probably wrong.

BTW, did you call Mickey Thompson and ask them about tubes for that sized tire? They may have something. Or Good Year? Good luck getting anyone on the phone at GY though. If either one of those don't have tubes, maybe they can give you a lead on where to get something.

It never hurts to call and ask.

-
Back