Unpopular opinion. I'm so frustrated I hate car shows/cruises.

-
Yes they did, and I didn’t know them. It has been five years since I have had this car to a show. It seems all they want to do is discredit the car.
Unbelievable.. If they have enough knowledge to realize what an M code is they damn sure aught to have some understanding of just how far out of line their behavior was... As others have mentioned I'd have a hard time not going off on some idiot who dared touch my car...

Several years ago, not long after we had bought our 76 Ventura, my wife and I were at a show and shine, one that we frequently attended, when my wife saw someone trying to peel one of the original decals off of the core support. The person left as soon as my wife walked to the front of the car and when I returned from getting a couple of drinks, we couldn't find them. The car had just over 27k miles on it at the time. Just one reason why I don't display my cars anymore.

Several years ago, not long after we had bought our 76 Ventura, my wife and I were at a show and shine, one that we frequently attended, when my wife saw someone trying to peel one of the original decals off of the core support. The person left as soon as my wife walked to the front of the car and when I returned from getting a couple of drinks, we couldn't find them. The car had just over 27k miles on it at the time. Just one reason why I don't display my cars anymore.
People suck.. Enjoy the drive...

Yes they did, and I didn’t know them. It has been five years since I have had this car to a show. It seems all they want to do is discredit the car.
Pretty stupid and nervy.

In my part of the world, that would be an invitation to an ***-whipping, or to be the center of attention at a funeral.

Pretty stupid and nervy.

In my part of the world, that would be an invitation to an ***-whipping, or to be the center of attention at a funeral.
As well it should.
It used to be common knowledge that you don’t touch another person’s property without permission.
Years back when I was into Camaros, I used to kneel down to get a look at the suspension on other peoples cars. I never touched them but after awhile, my wife (at the time) told me she thought I shouldn’t do that.
In an earth shattering, rare moment, the fat ***** was right about something and it wasn’t food related.
From then on, I look but don’t crawl under anymore.
Years have passed since then and she is even fatter but I don’t think she got any smarter.

In an earth shattering, rare moment, the fat ***** was right about something and it wasn’t food related.
Years have passed since then and she is even fatter but I don’t think she got any smarter.
/dying

it only takes one time to become known as an international talent, let her have the moment in the sun... the shade would be nice.

Unbelievable.. If they have enough knowledge to realize what an M code is they damn sure aught to have some understanding of just how far out of line their behavior was... As others have mentioned I'd have a hard time not going off on some idiot who dared touch my car...

Yep

The best one was the random kid in the front seat of a car eating an ice cream sandwich, mom standing next to car with a stroller, that someone else owned.

Not a fan of the 50's music, but it's OK. Just keep it mellow enough that people can enjoy without being overwhelmed.

The people that run down other cars at shows. ugh. Had a friend ask me about something whether it was correct on the car, owner standing close by. It wasn't correct followed up by the car is also 50 years old... what's the big deal?

Last edited:
Yep

The best one was the random kid in the front seat of a car eating an ice cream sandwich, mom standing next to car with a stroller, that someone else owned.

Not a fan of the 50's music, but it's OK. Just keep it mellow enough that people can enjoy without being overwhelmed.

The people that run down other cars at shows. ugh. Had a friend ask me about something whether it was correct on the car, owner standing close by. It wasn't correct followed up by the car is also 50 years old... what's the big deal?
Back in 1988 my sons were 2 and 4. We went to a show in Pleasanton with the GTS. I had sat down with them the day before that they weren't to touch any of the cars (yes, they really were great kids). At one point they were walking with me between cars, both of them sucking on a sucker with all the mess dripping down their hands. They never touched another car, but the looks of horror on the other owners' faces was priceless...weren't they cute?

July 1988  791 - Copy.jpg

Back in 1988 my sons were 2 and 4. We went to a show in Pleasanton with the GTS. I had sat down with them the day before that they weren't to touch any of the cars (yes, they really were great kids). At one point they were walking with me between cars, both of them sucking on a sucker with all the mess dripping down their hands. They never touched another car, but the looks of horror on the other owners' faces was priceless...weren't they cute?

View attachment 1716133058
A) Yes, they were cute... What happened??? :lol:

B) Young kids around my cars has never bothered me... They are mostly innocent & what damage they might do isn't done with malice... I've had a kid at a car show roll his Hot Wheels car along the side of my Green Challenger... I didn't say a thing to the kid... I did say something to his father... End of the day no harm, no foul... But the father should be paying attention to what his son is doing..

On another occasion I'd parked my Red Challenger in a hardware store parking lot while I when in to grab something... Came out & noticed two young boys on either side of the car & their dad was in front of the car... As I walked up they took off, jumped in their dads truck & drove away... And left bubble gum stuck to both front seats... Was the problem the boys? Or their father? Actually both.. But mostly the father, what kind of POS would allow his kids to do something so shitty... Jealousy & lack of discipline....

C) Adults touching/opening parts of my car is a whole different matter, if they attend a car show or even just out in public they should be sufficiently aware of the fact you don't touch other peoples stuff... I don't lean on someone else's beater unless & I know them & know they don't care... I certainly don't put my hands on someone's nice or vintage car... Or wife/girlfriend.... There are rules....

I just wonder if some of the delusional assclowns have the impression that the cars at a show are the property of the "show", looking at them like they would the "company" truck or equipment....everyone has a right to touch it.
Maybe they think that if someone takes a car to a show that they should expect people to touch them.

I like car shows and I like cruises, although it's been a long time since we had a car on the road. I learned a long time ago to ignore the "you should have" crowd. I do enjoy when my fleet car fender tag confuses the "know it alls" when they think our 440 A-body convertibles are original...
We're liking them now, too. When we lived in Macon about 21 years ago, we tried to get into the car scene there, but the people were very different than those we're associated with now. It's gotten worse with the Macon crowd too. We moved out here and met some super nice people. The Jones County Cruisers are mostly Chevy guys, but they're a nice bunch. We've had the North Georgia Mopar Club reaching out to those of us in Middle Georgia for a little over a year now doing cruises and cruise ins. As for The Middle Georgia Mopar Club now, unless you own a numbers 440 six pack car or some such, you don't even get a second look. ......and I was one of the founders of The Middle Georgia Mopar Club. They know who I am, but just basically turn their noses up. A lot of other good members now have drifted over to what we're doing in Gray and Milledgeville now. It's grown pretty good. Kinda nice to get back into it.

I'm 63 and still love 50s music, surfer stuff, 60s, 70s and 80s rock. So, the music at most shows fits me well. Now, when they start playing rap I'm not happy...
I cannot stomach surfer music ALL the time, but I do like it. I like the 50s car oriented music a lot. I'm like you. I like pretty much anything but (c)rap. It's just not music.

I don't mind the surf music as long as it's guitar driven like Dick Dale or the Ventures. Enough Beach Boys already.

I recently added this fender tag to my Duster for the numbers crowd.

fendertag.jpg

I actually find the car show personal exchanges that attempt to discuss the errors of my cars an open challenge to humorously insult the other person.

For example, if the show is not very rural or all Mopar, I get a number of folks (all ages) that look at my ‘53 Dodge truck, asking me “Why didn’t you put a SBC or an LS in it?”

My typical responses are “It gets plenty of traction without all that weight laying in the back. Or, “The bed wood is new and the bed paint is great. Why would I want to have an SBC or an LS rolling around in the back?”

Always gets laughs and my critic moves on.
I've done similar things.

I was at a cruise night and parked my '65 Barracuda next to a friend's metric Challenger. I usually don't sit around too much, but he was sitting there so I pulled out a lawn chair too. He got up to get something to eat and another metric Challenger pulled in. I guess he wanted to park in the spot I was in... All those new Challenger guys like to park near each other. He started giving me some noise about it and actually asked if I knew my friend or not... I said "Yea, known him about 40 years. Why?". That kind of shut him up, so he decided to change the subject and started trying to be a little nicer and complimented my car... Then he said "you should put a Hellcat motor in it" and I looked at him and said "No thanks, I like women".

He just walked away and never bothered me again.

With that, I discovered that some of those guys with the newer cars are just a gold chain away from being just like Corvette owners. A lot of them aren't, but it is fun to mess with the ones that are. I parked my '70 300 next to one young guy at a Cars and Coffee and you could tell he was really irritated about that. He actually stood there and made this face of disgust at me and shook his head. Later, him and his buddies stood around and talked about his billet battery cover (seriously) for what seemed like an hour. I thought it was hilarious.

But to the subject, I go to a select few cruises and even fewer shows. At cruises, I talk to folks I know, look at some cars and head home. At shows, I leave the hood closed and really not worry about anything, I'm just there to have some fun looking at cars and talking to folks I know.

wait. wut?

somebody *opened* the hood and door of your car to have a look-see while you weren't there?
I would have told the guy: I built it out of a damn Malibu, bet ya can't even tell!!!!!!!!

I almsot forgot. I bon a car show today, right here, I have a guy dring 5 hours to look at my Hornet thats FOR SALE!!!! :steering: :steering: :confederateflag: :thankyou:

Last edited:
Years ago I was at at show and had the hood open on the 66 Barracuda. There were two elderly gentlemen looking at it(I knew the one gentleman), his friend leaned over and pulled the dipstick and checked the oil level, wiped it clean with his fingers ! Wiped them clean on his pants and said ” Yup it’s clean”

Hell Of A Rant Everyone! That was a lot of fun to read

I was born in 84... and bought my duster project at 15 for $1000. Dad and I spent the next couple years in the garage and I drove our finished car senior year of high school, 2003.

Took it to a couple judged car shows and a couple week night cruise-ins that summer and while most of the people I met were fantastic, as a 18 year old I felt completely out of my element. Not much in common except for this one common passion. Not to mention the lack of shade and investment of an entire Saturday.

My car was/is nice, but it's a duster without a monster engine and a 6/10 paint job. The car is unimpressive sitting in a row of 8 or 9 196X cameros and road runners, challenger or 2. And that's fine with me. I like the quirky underdog cars. But put this quirky little Duster out in the wild and it is and people love it.

Fast forward and I'm now 39 years old. That car has been with me for 24 years and it hasn't been in a car show since back in the day. But I wouldn't disrespect the show crowd. I can only pray I live healthy enough to reach the point where that is my generation out there with whatever they have.

I've found that personally, my happy car medium is to pack the family in the Duster, park outside the show and walk-in. Teach my children to respect the cars and the community. And try to steer kids away from this bullshit intersection take-over scene that's poisoning the car community's reputation.

We're liking them now, too. When we lived in Macon about 21 years ago, we tried to get into the car scene there, but the people were very different than those we're associated with now. It's gotten worse with the Macon crowd too. We moved out here and met some super nice people. The Jones County Cruisers are mostly Chevy guys, but they're a nice bunch. We've had the North Georgia Mopar Club reaching out to those of us in Middle Georgia for a little over a year now doing cruises and cruise ins. As for The Middle Georgia Mopar Club now, unless you own a numbers 440 six pack car or some such, you don't even get a second look. ......and I was one of the founders of The Middle Georgia Mopar Club. They know who I am, but just basically turn their noses up. A lot of other good members now have drifted over to what we're doing in Gray and Milledgeville now. It's grown pretty good. Kinda nice to get back into it.

Our club is very different than that. One year a '65 Formula S won best of show (there were real hemi and six pack cars there). This '65 was clean enough to eat off and he had driven it from Arizona to central California. Last year a young guy with a slightly beater F-body garnered a great deal of attention due to some very creative things he had done to it. A real '69 hemi Super Bee that is very nice came in second in daily driver/project car, but I think that's because a lot of people didn't believe he drives it regularly, which he does.

Last edited:
I cant bother w car shows. Hell I have not even worked on either barracuda in over 2 years. I'm just kinda mentally baked with life and everything else. ******* around with welding thin gage sheetmetal in this current mental state wouldent end with a good result anyways. I have went to a few shows thinking it would get me to renew my interest in this stuff, but it has the opposite effect. Maybe I need to switch to a different hobby, or just no hobby. Just burnt out w the car shows, and fixing cars.

I went to a big show over the weekend with about 825 cars in it. I brought my car and entered it. I parked and pretty much did not stay near my car all day long. I was there way to long. I could see a lot of people checking out my car from a distance and although its special to me its a 70 340 4 speed duster that is a driver and a work in progress. I saw one of the club members looking at the paper on the dash with my info so I went over to him and asked if I could help him. He said the club members who voted for trophy cars voted for my car and he asked if I was going to be around a 4 cause I was getting a trophy. My first ever. It was a long day. I was there around 6 hours but even though I was alone I talked to many people about there cars. Of the 825 cars I saw maybe 5 A body Mopars. I love having an odd ball and although I do like Chevelles and Camaro's, and GTO's you see so many of them at shows. I'll continue to go to shows and car cruises and enjoy what I have, even with the old music and everything but I can definitely see how it gets old for some.

I cant bother w car shows. Hell I have not even worked on either barracuda in over 2 years. I'm just kinda mentally baked with life and everything else. ******* around with welding thin gage sheetmetal in this current mental state wouldent end with a good result anyways. I have went to a few shows thinking it would get me to renew my interest in this stuff, but it has the opposite effect. Maybe I need to switch to a different hobby, or just no hobby. Just burnt out w the car shows, and fixing cars.
i have a friend that was where it seems like you currently are. he'd been in it forever, done a couple of cars that he'd sold. had one really nice B body, had a dart that was in pieces and had been for ages, just no motivation to finish. had another that was complete but massive project. the corresponding garage+ full of parts and detritus of 30 years of mopardom.

after years of flim-flamming about (aka me busting his balls), he sold the B body. i helped him put back together the exploded view dart in trade for the project dart and some parts. the rest of the stuff he sold off.

he bought a small travel trailer and took up camping as more of his focus hobby. i snapped the dart together as just a rough around the edges street bomber. about a year later he came back into the fold after i loaned him the beater dart for the weekend. about two years later he bought another, nicer dart to start a restoration on so now he's plugging away on that and has the beater dart to pound around in.

it's all a cycle man. sometimes you just need a break. go buy a cheap *** motorcycle and fix it up and get your mechanical mojo back. ****, go buy a chevy or ford where the parts are plentiful and dirt cheap. pound on that mess for awhile and realize you don't want to associate with them types.

it's okay to take breaks. the hobby and the community will still be here when you get back. and they'll all still be talking about how they all had a hemi such and such or how their 318 wheeze bag was faster than a 383 road runner.

-
Back