Upper molded radiator hose A/C 273 cars

-

pbiggs

Reaction score
Does anybody know of a source for the upper molded radiator hose for a 65 Barracuda with factory A/C and 273 engine.
I have a Gates #20168 hose that is supposed to fit, but it's a long way from a proper fit....almost unuseable.
Thanks

Old thread, I know, but I've run into the same problem. Did you ever find a hose that fits?

Good question. I don't have the correct one on my car either. Hopefully someone will chime in with the correct numbers and a photo or two. (AC and non-AC) tmm

I went to the parts store with some dimensions and a guess as to what would fit. Car Quest didn't have a listing for my 66. The hose I got fit after some cutting but Lord knows what it came off of. LOL tmm

Finding the correct upper radiator hose for an early A-body 273 w/factory AC is a challenge.
The correct factory part number is 2465802...after a lot of trial and error, I finally concluded non of the so called replacement hoses from the parts houses would come close to working. I reluctantly paid an excessive premium price for an NOS one from Brad's. $139 plus shipping...solved the problem, but a big ouch on the wallet.

If I were restoring other, I might be tempted to try what Atlas Obsolete Parts claims is the correct upper, lower and by-pass hose kit. Problem is if you buy the set from them and it turns out to be a misfit, you pay for return shipping and your refund will be less the ebay fees and PayPal fees.
I found this out when I returned an early A body positive battery cable that was not correct (even thought they claimed it was). After several phone calls and delay, they finally issued a credit, but they deducted almost $40 from my return credit for ebay and PayPal fees..and I paid for the return shipping.

If anybody does find a good solution using after market hoses, please post some sources and part numbers.

Here is the link to the Atlas kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-Hose-Set-1964-74-MoPar-A-Body-Small-Block-/370359861694?fits=Year:1965|Make:plymouth&hash=item563b2b01be&item=370359861694&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Thanks for the response Biggs. I have a non AC car so I don't need the one pictured in the Atlas kit although I have seen many non ac 273's with the ac hose installed. I'll have to poke around today and see what I can find. tmm

Thanks for the link and part number. The guy at the local NAPA said he has one for me, but I can't get there until Tuesday. I don't have a lot of confidence, but I'll post up what I find.

Good grief that's a lot of coins for a hose. A different thermostat housing might be the less expensive route. Like a housing that looks left or both left and up ?
Widens the hose interchange options at least.

Napa lists both hoses although the ac hose doesn't look like the one in the Atlas kit. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...7+5999999&Nty=1&Ntt=radiator+hose&Ntk=Keyword

Year one lists a aftermarket hose like the Napa one.
https://www.yearone.com/Product/DisplayProduct/137527

Laysons lists aftermarket hoses for each application.

Atlas Obsolete only has slant 6 hose kits

Autoparts Warehouse and Autozone were no help

RockAuto lists quite a few different hoses. The first 4 or 5 are universal flex and not molded hoses but most of the others are pictured but none look like the one needed for ac.

I'll keep looking! LOL tmm

This is the hose I see everybody using. I would imagine the crook on the thermostat end wraps around the ac compressor. Of course it will work on the non ac engines but it won't be correct if that's what you're looking for. Hopefully those of you that have correct hoses (ac and non ac) can get some numbers off your hoses so they can be interchanged. tmm

Attachments

• DSC03246.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 347
I just checked my 66 273 with A/C. It has the angled thermostat housing and Gates 20168 hose. I think the most curved part has been cut off, since the angled housing takes care of that. Please see pictures.

Attachments

• hose.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 360
  • Th.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 327
Hope I can help some of you out. I work at a Goodyear plant, years ago, I ran across some old application books. So I can look up all the old numbers. Many of them are no longer available, but lots are. The early 64-66 hoses aren't. The 67-69 are: 60661 with AC and 60666 without AC. For both you will have to use the later straight aluminum thermostat housing. They are both a real nice fit. Both these are available from Rock Auto under 67-69 A Body, and the have pictures. I know Goodyear products aren't available alot of places anymore, if you look you can find them. I think AutoZone carries Goodyear. Anyone can look up to see if their hoses are still available: go to goodyearbeltsandhose.com and you will hopefully find what you need. Anyone having any questions can PM me

This is the hose I see everybody using. I would imagine the crook on the thermostat end wraps around the ac compressor. Of course it will work on the non ac engines but it won't be correct if that's what you're looking for. Hopefully those of you that have correct hoses (ac and non ac) can get some numbers off your hoses so they can be interchanged. tmm

That looks like the hose NAPA sold for my '67 273, no factory air. Mine has an aftermarket A/C unit. Turns out, somebody moved the radiator top hose connector from the driver side to the passenger side, probably to clear the aftermarket compressor. No factory hose is going to fit correctly, but that same hose, with some creative trimming is working right now.

That looks like the hose NAPA sold for my '67 273, no factory air. Mine has an aftermarket A/C unit. Turns out, somebody moved the radiator top hose connector from the driver side to the passenger side, probably to clear the aftermarket compressor. No factory hose is going to fit correctly, but that same hose, with some creative trimming is working right now.

Or you have a upper tank for a slant 6 which had the upper port at right side.

So far I've puchased both the Goodyear 66479 and Gate 20168 hoses listed on rockauto.com for a 1965 Dart with V8 and AC. They are pretty much identical and neither one fits. I guess you could get by but they aren't right.

I went to Autozone and searched through all the hoses they had in stock. I found a hose I think will work. It's the lower radiator hose off a 2006-2010 Ford Explorer V6. It's quite a bit longer than the Dart hose, but if I cut off both ends I'll have a section in the middle that looks like a very good fit.

Here are the various part numbers for the hose.
• Dayco 72384
• Goodyear 66012
• Gates 23364
• ACDelco 26602X

The Dayco version has no writing on it, in case you're concerned about visual appearance.

I'll post a picture after it's installed.

That's what I did. Thanks for the part numbers and adding good info to an old thread. tmm

Attachments

• engine 280.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 193
Here are pictures of the Dayco hose installed. The first picture shows the hose before cutting. I only had to cut one end. The hose is awfully close the throttle return spring bracket. I could probably trim a little of the engine side to fix that, but I think I will wait until I have the AC compressor mounted before doing so.

Attachments

• Hose1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Hose2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Hose3.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Hose4.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 163
Great information....thanks for the research effort and sharing.

65DartGTConv did pretty much what hot rodders do, and thanks for posting the PN. Many rodders buy an upper hose for an F-150 since very long w/ many bends, and real cheap and common. They cut it somewhere in the middle, add a splice piece and rotate as needed to fit just about anything. Good you made it in one piece. You can buy splice pieces on ebay. Some have a fitting for a temp sender, or a debris screen, etc, so can be an advantage. Most engines use a 1.5"D upper hose. No sense paying crazy prices for NOS unless you have a true queen to show off.

-
Back