UTG -The Mighty 318

-
Some people seem to confuse pointing out poor building practices, short cutting needed steps and dirty assembly as "hate of the man" it's not hate of tony, I've stated hes probably a cool guy, and a good person, and RRR shared a story about his generosity, which incredibly awsome. But his building skills and "tech" info are abysmal. Anyone who "builds" engines following his advice are going to have poor results.

Some people seem to confuse pointing out poor building practices, short cutting needed steps and dirty assembly as "hate of the man" it's not hate of tony, I've stated hes probably a cool guy, and a good person, and RRR shared a story about his generosity, which incredibly awsome. But his building skills and "tech" info are abysmal. Anyone who "builds" engines following his advice are going to have poor results.
Those that state flaws in his methods are not hating at all. But a person doesn't have to look at very many threads (and I could go gather some quotes... LOL) where his looks, and everything else about him was slammed. Even his viewers have been called names. Imagine that.

Yep, if it runs a 10.99 once mission accomplished. He's not shooting for a consistent bracket racer cutting the perfect tree. Nobody has to agree with UTG, I don't agree on some stuff myself. I don't understand the hate, and what I mean by hate is remarks of the typical name calling you see here or spiteful remarks.....
  • Personal attacks on his looks, and needing a bath. His cars and home are very clean
  • His followers (or minions) are not intellegent.
  • He is a liar :rolleyes: Even though he post all his mistakes for all to see.... LOL
  • He is a shyster. How many people have testified about how fair he was with them in their dealings???
Etc, etc. It's one thing to disagree, but the remarks are hateful and for what? Did he do something personally to them??? If so, i wish they would start a list. They cannot. So, to me, it's jealousy
It's kinda like going for a land speed record. The goal is to do it twice. UTGs goal is to run 10s once. I'm pretty sure with enough weight loss and the right set up he'll come close. I just want to see what happens along the way.

Yep, if it runs a 10.99 once mission accomplished. He's not shooting for a consistent bracket racer cutting the perfect tree. Nobody has to agree with UTG, I don't agree on some stuff myself. I don't understand the hate, and what I mean by hate is remarks of the typical name calling you see here or spiteful remarks.....
  • Personal attacks on his looks, and needing a bath. His cars and home are very clean
  • His followers (or minions) are not intellegent.
  • He is a liar :rolleyes: Even though he post all his mistakes for all to see.... LOL
  • He is a shyster. How many people have testified about how fair he was with them in their dealings???
Etc, etc. It's one thing to disagree, but the remarks are hateful and for what? Did he do something personally to them??? If so, i wish they would start a list. They cannot. So, to me, it's jealousy
It’s called “Cancel Culture” the actual “Haters” are taking part in.
Some people seem to confuse pointing out poor building practices, short cutting needed steps and dirty assembly as "hate of the man" it's not hate of tony, I've stated hes probably a cool guy, and a good person, and RRR shared a story about his generosity, which incredibly awesome.
Exactly.
On the building the 318 skills. The building skills and path on the 318 are not I’d call a pattern to follow. Considering what he said in the beginning..... you would have only yourself to blame on a bad result.

I like the roadkill styled flavor of this build because of the normal build vs the abnormal part use of this build. Taking parts no one wants and routinely getting trashed. Look at the list of what the general public of the car world consider wrong...

The car. It is a B body MoPar. Normally it is cheered. But it is the wrong year, toooo many doors.

The drivetrain; Wrong size engine, wrong transmission, rear end life span and ability in doubt for the task at hand. Engine and trans normally crapped on for being wrong for anything except daily driving. All throw away parts. Or are they?

Chevy guys have a 327 in which they love to talk junk about.
Ford guys have the 302 and there quit confident of it whipping your ***.

Anything smaller than a 340 and the majority of the guys cry it ain’t good enough. Really? You all flag wave on the MoPar being the best and superior until those three numbers pop up? Really? Is your faith shaken? By your reaction your giving the other guys the nod that there better.

^^^The typical Mopar guy is tight, he is cheap, conservative!!!!! (I am typial Mopar) OK so the Mopar big spenders will disagree!
I would love to be young enough to be in the mainstream and income wise, but even if I was again, I am still Mopar conservative,
Like 318willrun promotes, the idea and making something good out of someone else's trash is just FUN.
I love watching RoadKIll do their crazy cheap *** chit to. ha

My friends and I are going all in on a #318Fest event May 8th 10am @Jakes Dragstrip down in Alabama. We have the track to ourselves and a mobile dyno on hand. If you have a 318 that runs strong and have something to prove or just wanna add to our data sheet of combinations..... Please make the trip! Our Ratty Muscle Cars camp is bringing atleast 3 contenders, as well as Dylan McCool has one in the works for the event, and even Uncle Tony says he's coming with his Bottle Rocket Coronet. Racing later in the day will switch gears to our #MoparVsBrandXstreetcarShowdown Test 'n' Tune in prep for our race in the Fall.
It's a seriously specific crowd of contenders and we dont expect to break track records or even attendance records, but we will have a good time and maybe prove or disprove some theories, folk tales, and or outright lies.... If you have one--bring one! (Poly, LA, Magnum) Nitrous, Turbo, stroker, it dont matter as long as it has 318 casting on the side of the block. We will also allow 273s, 3.9s, and even Slant 6s. We are leaving our 340s/360s/383s/440s at home for this, in favor of some hopefully surprising 318s. Also... how did I get this on the Official AbodiesOnly calender???
For me, I'm looking to 300wheelHP, and a 7.99 pass or bust! Gotta have goals!

IMO, UT’s “street cred” took a big hit after that 318 build died on Nicks dyno.

The bottle rocket 318 eating two flat tappet cams didn’t help either.
That could have been used as a “teaching moment” for the channel....... but instead they just swapped to a roller.

with a little money and time the 318 makes some good power . my 318 kept up with 396 camaros and 400 firechickens no problem back in the 70's , all it had was a better cam 360 heads cut down headers , a holley street dominator and an 850 thermoquad . only thing wrong with the 318 was it's rep as a grocery getter

I had a 318 in my 78 asper rt 4/speed after putting the usual hot rod parts/intake/ duels and a small 273 solid lifter cam with 424 lift 650 holley / going down the hwy a 68 383 roadrunner pulled up and wanted to go /so we slowed down to about 30mph and nailed it well to my surprise I pulled away with no problem so i slowed down to the 55mph required at that time so he could catch up /well we pulled over and asked me if I special ordered the car with a big block / he told me how he just got his car out of the shop having it performance tune and it never ran better /so i lifted the hood and showed him the 318 /he said it must be a 360 then I told him they wouldn't sell a 360 with 4 speed that year o/d trans. then he crawled under the car to look at the 318 on the side of the block when he stood up he asked me to tune up his car because he was going to put a *** wiping on the guy who tuned his I guess those 383 were over rated like people say

I had a 318 in my 78 asper rt 4/speed after putting the usual hot rod parts/intake/ duels and a small 273 solid lifter cam with 424 lift 650 holley / going down the hwy a 68 383 roadrunner pulled up and wanted to go /so we slowed down to about 30mph and nailed it well to my surprise I pulled away with no problem so i slowed down to the 55mph required at that time so he could catch up /well we pulled over and asked me if I special ordered the car with a big block / he told me how he just got his car out of the shop having it performance tune and it never ran better /so i lifted the hood and showed him the 318 /he said it must be a 360 then I told him they wouldn't sell a 360 with 4 speed that year o/d trans. then he crawled under the car to look at the 318 on the side of the block when he stood up he asked me to tune up his car because he was going to put a *** wiping on the guy who tuned his I guess those 383 were over rated like people say
What *I Think* most people miss (The way I see it.) is that a 383 in a B body is very much so just like a 318 in an A body. It is in the HP to weight ratio of each body platform & the engine within.

A standard 383 w/a 4bbl. does have a decent factory issued cam but not always what the cam will perform best with as well as the rest of the drivetrain. This is also why the 383 responded so favorably to headers and a increased carb size. Adding a mild cam will help increase the low end torque. AKA, the typical hot rod parts added on to a factory engine. Something a B body can really use with the small, short stroke B block engine.

The only possible draw back to your Aspen R/T is the cars weight. Not so much the engine size.

Now he has started a series about how to rebuild your engine in your kitchen, with no tools. Sorta...no need for a cheap dial bore gauge, he shows you how to install a worn out ring in a worn cylinder and check "roundness and taper" with a flashlight. And use your dads aluminum level to check your deck surface, with.....you guessed it, a flashlight....and you can run std worn out pistons in a .010 over block, and it "wont slap or nuthing" (actual quote) its like a car crash, it's hard to look away. WOW

If you’re doing it in the kitchen, you can use the dishwasher to clean parts...... plus, you’re closer to the snacks.

Those two things are probably what conspired against the success of the build that went up to Nicks.

If you’re doing it in the kitchen, you can use the dishwasher to clean parts...... plus, you’re closer to the snacks.

Those two things are probably what conspired against the success of the build that went up to Nicks.
I'm all for the snacks !!!
:thumbsup:

What *I Think* most people miss (The way I see it.) is that a 383 in a B body is very much so just like a 318 in an A body. It is in the HP to weight ratio of each body platform & the engine within.

A standard 383 w/a 4bbl. does have a decent factory issued cam but not always what the cam will perform best with as well as the rest of the drivetrain. This is also why the 383 responded so favorably to headers and a increased carb size. Adding a mild cam will help increase the low end torque. AKA, the typical hot rod parts added on to a factory engine. Something a B body can really use with the small, short stroke B block engine.

The only possible draw back to your Aspen R/T is the cars weight. Not so much the engine size.
your right about weight with me in the car ran 3750 lb setup for 3/8 mile circle track I owned a couple of 383's in sport fury's with 4 speeds and I couldn't touch a 383 magnum with auto trans

guessing you didn’t watch that build series.. the was nothing good about any of it in terms of solid tech advice. That engine was doomed to fail at the moment of its conception...lol
It was fun to watch though.

So why are we drawn to these old cars, when we now days can buy a new faster, better handling, more comfortable (forget damn expensive!) new Mopar!?? Because even us NON mechanic types an actually work (and learn to) work on these old cars, doing all the things to make then run to or each and own expectations!!!

So why are we drawn to these old cars, when we now days can buy a new faster, better handling, more comfortable (forget damn expensive!) new Mopar!?? Because even us NON mechanic types an actually work (and learn to) work on these old cars, doing all the things to make then run to or each and own expectations!!!

I don’t want a big, heavy pig of a car with a TV and all that **** in it and on it. Very few of the new cars actually run what they claim to run.

On top of that, the Gen III Hemi, the LS and the Coyote are as ugly as sin. They are so GOD awful ugly, they have to put engine covers on that crap. Just gross.

Even the lowly Flat Head Ford is a thing of beauty when it’s dressed up.

I don’t want a big, heavy pig of a car with a TV and all that **** in it and on it. Very few of the new cars actually run what they claim to run.

On top of that, the Gen III Hemi, the LS and the Coyote are as ugly as sin. They are so GOD awful ugly, they have to put engine covers on that crap. Just gross.

Even the lowly Flat Head Ford is a thing of beauty when it’s dressed up.
Yeah they're ugly, but they do make good power pretty easily. I'd love to have a Gen III to play with.

Now he has started a series about how to rebuild your engine in your kitchen, with no tools. Sorta...no need for a cheap dial bore gauge, he shows you how to install a worn out ring in a worn cylinder and check "roundness and taper" with a flashlight. And use your dads aluminum level to check your deck surface, with.....you guessed it, a flashlight....and you can run std worn out pistons in a .010 over block, and it "wont slap or nuthing" (actual quote) its like a car crash, it's hard to look away. WOW

Alot of the things you are knocking him about work for building a decent engine. He isn't going for a max effort affair.... The ring advise to check for taper is good advise. Checking the deck surface with a straight edge is good advise. You think the factory blocks were even close to flat? .010" over on a 3.91" bore and factory pistons is fine, this was done many times throughout the years when it wasn't worth boring the block. Just honing it will bring it out that large. Some people knurled the pistons to prevent the rattle if it happened. While I know very little about his methods, I would say some of his advise in his video was okay for the backyard mechanic and was done and is still done today in shops.

-
Back