W2 heads on a 318

-

ciamcoop

Reaction score
So I've wanted to build a stroker for awhile and have been collecting parts. I have a 73 360 block (thick casting-hopefully), econo w2 heads and single plane intake. I wanted to be in the 550 hp range. The stroker stuff with a forged crank and H beams isn't cheap though. I built a decent running 318 years ago, factory forged crank, 340 rods, flat tops, and 4v 360 heads. The 318 had the cam go flat so I tore it all down to go through it.
I have this crazy idea of trying to get more power on a budget lol. Is the 318 worth putting the w2 heads on it and maybe getting the compression ratio up around 10.5:1?

Even with a 2.02 valve you will see a power increase by notching the bores. Guys fit 2.02's in there and don't notch the bore, but it should be done.

Otherwise, no reason not to do it.

W2's will work on a 318. Been done very successfully by a lot of people.

You are going to have to wind that W2 318 to the moon to realize those heads. build the rods, bolts and cam to suit, I say use the W2 strip dominator and the 5500-8000 range it offers. The Boss 302 was similar, that idle would die if the dome light came on.....I dont think youll need to notch anything, that is 273 stuff.

To the moon? Well, may enjoy that high but the head is large for the displacement and it is made worse when ported heads are on top.

Go for it!!!

Should rev similar to a 340 with the same heads (same stroke, but smaller bore). Like stated above, check how close the intake valves get to the cylinder walls and have them notched accordingly.

Last edited:
Someone I discussed heads with whom was a well known engine builder for a company nobody likes.

I had a pair of w2 heads that had been max ported to w5 windows by batten performance. I was asking if I should use them on a 340 build. I was worried about them being too much head for the small 340.
His comment was that you can never have too much head for any build. The better the head the better the engine.
Only issue I had with the head was that the compression ratio would of been in the 12s and I was not willing to drive with race fuel all the time.

Moral of the story ... I blew my 340 up with the w2 heads so that's when I built my 418 and now poop myself when I take off and scare the neighbors craparo

Excellent post, ----^^^^
all So true

Right on. It'll be going in a lightweight 67 dart, weighs right around 2500 lbs without me in it.
Thanks for the replies guys.

2500 Dart with a high revving 318, sounds like a winner. "Never too much head" is a little misleading though but I think your on the right track for a screamer. I had a 68 340 with a 284/484 cam and an SD intake with 3.91's in my "2800" lb 65 Barracuda and it would break the tire free at about 5000 rpm in 2nd. mind you they were pretty skinny tires but it was a gas to drive. Careful on the gas in the turns...

2500 Dart with a high revving 318, sounds like a winner. "Never too much head" is a little misleading though but I think your on the right track for a screamer. I had a 68 340 with a 284/484 cam and an SD intake with 3.91's in my "2800" lb 65 Barracuda and it would break the tire free at about 5000 rpm in 2nd. mind you they were pretty skinny tires but it was a gas to drive. Careful on the gas in the turns...

He will have the same stroke as a 340. Why does he have to spin the hell out of it?

The better the head, the less cam timing you need to achieve the same RPM. Use the correct cam and don't beat the **** out of it.

Notch isn't mandatory for them to fit but to realize the extra flow probably worth doing.

Doing a 318 over a 340 is only gonna cost you around 25 lbs-ft and move the powerband up 300-400 rpm and over a 360 would be double those numbers. Not the biggest deal as long your willing to gear it properly.

your going to need to spin it to fill those intake ports. You put 280+cfm heads on a teen and you get some seriously slow velocity unless you use a very small carb or big RPM's. Nothing says you cant spin a 318, just using that head and the matching intake is all geared for higher RPM's. I totally get the 318 is just a 340 minus 22 cubes but the bore is smaller and has a softer CR to boot.

what is the diameter of the w2 heads combustion chambers? match them to the bores. the bigger the cam-the more a bore notch may help-what cam U thinking? car is lightweight-go 10.5:1 - 11.0:1, Go For It

Hmmm, the combustion chamber is 4.06" diameter, the valves outside to outside are 3.695". Might not work with the 318 punched .030" over. Right now I have 4.11s with 27" tall tires. 3500 stall converter

Since we're not in the racers forum, what are your plans for this Stormer?
Streeter?
Cuz if you move the torque peak up to 5000rpm, that's like 38mph with 4.10s and 27s, in 2.45 First-gear.It follows then that 60mph is 7900. That's gonna take a bit of TC to pull off. And Ima thinking the tires are gonna be smoking the whole way. There is nothing wrong with building something like that. I myself did just that, and it's a lotta fun. But I only have a 367 with Eddies and a 230* cam. Ima thinking I got less money in my entire engine than you may have in just your top end by the time you are done. And I do it with 3.55s.
Now, if you can make it hook, that will be a sight to see!
I'm not raining on your parade,but that would be a heckof an engine to stuff in a 2500 pound chassis, to drive street with!
I kindof like your stroker idea better. I've never had one,but; you could run a wheezing cam in one,and 3.23s, and hit 30mph@3100,60@6200, still spinning the whole way!. And you can parade it. And cruise over to Frank's bar and grill in the next state, and go visit a buddy in BC, cruising 65=somewhere around 2600. It may not make 550 in this tune, but as a streeter it might just be waaay more enjoyable, and the more you drive it, the more money you will save in gas as compared to the W2-headed Monster.
Whatever you decide, I'll be cheering for you!
Maybe you could even run 2.94s.........

Last edited:
Bore notch?

Not needed.

Total width of the valves is 3.65 minus the distance between them. I'd have to measure mine to know for sure. I'll take your measurement as a good one.

However, it isn't enough to cause an issue in a .030 over 318 which is now at a 3.94 bore. There is enough area left over there not to worry about.

Any valve shrouding issues of serious concern are more so in the cylinder head, if present. And they should be taken care of.

You have more worry about nothing than needed. MoPar didn't seem to mind it and recommended the W2 in there "Speed Tips" list on the (IIRC) 10.90 "Super Street" package. A 2.02 is recommended in the 12 second zone tip section.

Of course, if you feel the extra work is sorely needed where the MoPar engineers and drag racers didn't, have at it and run while grinding away.

I like the long replies ha, gives me stuff to think about. I don't know if the 318 will do the 550 hp range, I guess it's possible. It ran mid 12s before, traction was an issue with street tires, but I backhalved it and put a 4 link under it with tubs so I can put any size tire on it I need to make it hook. It'll mostly be used for speed thrills on Friday night at the strip and beer runs ha. Not a daily driver. I'm not worried about the fuel costs.
I started buildingthe car when I was in high school and drove it for awhile. I'm in a spot now where I can work on it again and just looking at my options.

Subscribed!

I love the idea of a stroked 318.....I'll be building one on my next engine!

Jeff

Subscribed!

I love the idea of a stroked 318.....I'll be building one on my next engine!

Jeff
Stroke? With Throat? Let the wedge rev... :D like this 318 in an all steel 3100 lb car and play "where did the Chally go?"

-
Back