What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
Gee, for $800 I would expect a much larger motor, with, say.....a block and stuff!!!

Lmao, Ima working on it, I have to clean the casting flash, install the cam bearings, coat the valley with some Glyptal and then do some measuring for my record keeping.

Then the final assembly will begin.

Comparatively I would have spent 1500 to 1600 for what you see, if it had all been new stuff. The head work alone would have made me cringe, lol.

Gee, for $800 I would expect a much larger motor, with, say.....a block and stuff!!!

Just sitting here drinking cold beer (Warm today here in Phoenix) and I read cosgig's above post and sprayed good beer all over my computer... LoL... Still laughing... Good One cosgig!!!!

Well, Ima bought done for today, except maybe some small tinkerin'.

I got the Edelbrock Elite series covers polished and the new hex head inserts it.

Before:

View attachment 1714938582

After:
View attachment 1714938583

Of course the air cleaner didn't quite match so I had to 'fix' that, lol.
View attachment 1714938584

After:
View attachment 1714938585

And then I just hadta see what it was gonna look like kinda together, lol.

U heads with 2.02/1.60 Ferrea stainless steel valves, new valve seats and valve guides, Crane Gold roller rockers on banana groove shafts, home porting and polished chambers. LD340 Intake, Holley 750 duel feed vacuum secondary carb (rebuilt). Edelbrock Elite Series covers and air filter.

View attachment 1714938586

With some patience and a bit of work, I was able to put this together for around 800 bucks.
Nice! That looks killer!!!

Another day of welding and this SS header project will be finished. whew:)
sstubes.JPG

Just sitting here drinking cold beer (Warm today here in Phoenix) and I read cosgig's above post and sprayed good beer all over my computer... LoL... Still laughing... Good One cosgig!!!!
Glad I could be of service Clif, sorry about the beer!!!

I got the Edelbrock Elite series covers polished and the new hex head inserts it.

Before:

After:

After:

U heads with 2.02/1.60 Ferrea stainless steel valves, new valve seats and valve guides, Crane Gold roller rockers on banana groove shafts, home porting and polished chambers. LD340 Intake, Holley 750 duel feed vacuum secondary carb (rebuilt). Edelbrock Elite Series covers and air filter.

With some patience and a bit of work, I was able to put this together for around 800 bucks.
That looks great, Bruce! And I'm sure it's going to preform pretty well, too.

Well I got sick and tired with people wanting crazy money for grills and finish panels that were junk so I bit the bullet and sent mine in to get repaired and polished up, at the same time I put my bumpers in to get chromed, ended up needing to replace one side of the front bumper brackets which was damaged and they did a Hillbilly repair job with some washers to make up the Length WTF !!! so I purchased both sides and put those in with the rears to get powder coated. Ordered new bumperette rubbers front and rears which have arrived, all bolts have been sand blasted and sprayed with cold cal to prevent rust. Reverse lights were blasted with light media on the out side of buckets and painted and I picked up some nice 66 rear lenses as 67 ones don't show up too often and are usually cracked ! used a home remedy backing soda with white vinegar into a paste and tooth brush to clean lenses , it takes the white out of them and brings them back to life.

Before:

After:

After:

Looks great!

OOhhh, Purdy. :D

I'm just putting my new bumper sticker on that came in the mail today.

sticker.jpg

Im just back to work after a great weekend. I am probably going to crack open a beer and sit there and stare at my car.

Will be changing valve cover gaskets today.. hoping to not find any surprises underneath!

Going to do basic maintenance as well..

Then go online shopping for some new hubcaps :thumbsup:

Today I picked up my shortened drive shaft and received a box with two crusty '73 and up LCA:s in the mail. Disassembled the LCA:s and put the shaft in a safe place.
2016-05-31 14.26.59.jpg
2016-05-31 18.51.12.jpg

Finally finished up the final wiring and a bench test of my restoration of a prestolite variable speed wiper motor for my 67 barracuda. About a year ago i got 2 of em date coded 1967 out of the junkyard by me. The original leece neville type was so bad, and parts are non existant i decided to upgrade. The junkyard cores were so bad that the salvage yard operator had pity on me and said just take em.

Little by little over the last 12 months i worked on this project off and on. I had the cylinder cleaned and cad plated, made new winding papers out of manilla file folder, and used fiberglass tape to rewrap the motor coils. Lots of cleaning, sandblasting, detailing, painting etc. Even made my own new ground strap out of .010" brass sheet.

End result after finishing up the wiring and testing today, it works like a charm, and wiper arm park circuit works great too.

20141106_172920.jpg

20141104_181428.jpg

20141108_141325.jpg

20150201_213946.jpg

20160602_151236.jpg

Last edited:
Finally finished up a restoration on a prestolite variable speed wiper motor for my 67 barracuda. I got 2 of em date coded 1967 out of the junkyard by me. The original leece neville type was so bad, and parts are non existant i decided to upgrade. The junkyard cores were so bad that the salvage yard operator had pity on me and said just take em. I had the cylinder cleaned and cad plated, made new winding papers out of manilla file folder, and used fiberglass tape to rewrap the motor coils. Lots of cleaning, sandblasting, detailing, painting etc. Even made my own new ground strap out of .010" brass sheet. End result it works like a charm during bench testing, and wiper arm park circuit works great too.

View attachment 1714939736

View attachment 1714939737

View attachment 1714939738

View attachment 1714939739

View attachment 1714939740
HEY, that's cheating!
the question is "what are you doing"
not "what did you do"

I edited my original post. I actually just finished up the wiring today, and bench tested it. I showed all the other progress pix with it, because i figured y'all would like an overview of what it took to restore the whole thing. Its an awful lot of work for a component most people dont even give a second thought to. The last pic is of what i finished up today

Last edited:
Finally started putting my engine back together! Yea!
Going slow but at least it's started.

Jeff

Finally finished up the final wiring and a bench test of my restoration of a prestolite variable speed wiper motor for my 67 barracuda. About a year ago i got 2 of em date coded 1967 out of the junkyard by me. The original leece neville type was so bad, and parts are non existant i decided to upgrade. The junkyard cores were so bad that the salvage yard operator had pity on me and said just take em.

Little by little over the last 12 months i worked on this project off and on. I had the cylinder cleaned and cad plated, made new winding papers out of manilla file folder, and used fiberglass tape to rewrap the motor coils. Lots of cleaning, sandblasting, detailing, painting etc. Even made my own new ground strap out of .010" brass sheet.

End result after finishing up the wiring and testing today, it works like a charm, and wiper arm park circuit works great too.

View attachment 1714939736

View attachment 1714939737

View attachment 1714939738

View attachment 1714939739

View attachment 1714939740
WOW!! That's pretty amazing! Don't think I'd have the patience to restore something that small to such great detail!

Amazing work, Matt! Your attention to detail is incredible! I'm glad you do what you do for a living.

Thank you for the kind words. I am extremely OCD about whatever i work on.

The reality was either pay over $400 for a restored one, or roll up my sleeves, get 2 of em at the junky and make one complete and working one out of both. Turned out bonus was i got both crusty things for free.

Since i didnt need a working motor right away, time was on my side. I had to buy a new nylon drive gear off ebay, and pay to have the cylinder cad plated, plus some other misc things like short stainless phillips screws for the pole shoes where they attach to the cylinder, and some brass sheet stock for the ground strap. I believe i am into it for just about $100.

Believe me, i didnt know anything about these wiper motors until i started taking this one apart. I think i know more about prestolite V speed wiper motors than i want to know now. Anders i have seen your attention to detail, i bet you would have no problem rebuilding one of these either.

Mr. 75slant6 i think any one of us here on fabo with basic electrical knowledge, mechanical knowledge, and mechanical common sense can redo one of these. Like anything out there including engine and transmission rebuilds everything has to be super clean before it goes together. Plus theres tons of info on the net. I used the net for my motor circuit testing as theres a certain way to hook everything up with the jumper wires.

Last edited:

So...it looks like I begin a re-ring. As long as it is apart I guess I should fix the front trans seal leak and maybe a shift kit. Then service the rear end.

Or...I could re-ring a 340 challenger engine I have laying around, rebuild the 727 that goes with it with shift kit, and swap out the rear for an 8 3/4 sure grip I have that has nothing to do. Hate to dismantle a bone stock Dart, but stuff happens.

Installing tach in my 66 cuda and my commando aircleaner/ valve cleaner should be delivered today!

image.jpeg

Going to try and degree my mystery slant cam and throw out some specs to ID it.

-
Back