What engine is in that motorhome???

-
From what I have found, ALL Motorhome 727 transmissions have a short shaft and a bolt on yoke. Complete trans disassembly is required to convert it to a traditional car and pickup truck slip yoke design.
Andy Finkbeiner is the man. Google "AR Engineering".
I wasn't even sure if it'd even have a tranny I could use. We hadn't discussed what tranny would go in this project.

If I were you, I'd get in my truck and drive an hour and pick up ALL of this big block stuff for $400 and let Grandpa keep his motorhome. You'll have to deal with it eventually. We are paying someone $300 to get rid of Grandpa's non-running motorhome as I type this.

Mopar Big Block Parts

If I were you, I'd get in my truck and drive an hour and pick up ALL of this big block stuff for $400 and let Grandpa keep his motorhome. You'll have to deal with it eventually. We are paying someone $300 to get rid of Grandpa's non-running motorhome as I type this.

Mopar Big Block Parts
$400 for enough parts for 2 blocks? That's a cry for help

Funny thing about RVs, they don't last as long as regular cars nor do they get used as much, yet they cost so much to buy then cost to get rid of. At least opt for the smaller cheaper trailers or campers.
Random question: why aren't motorhomes diesel instead of gas? I'd imagine they'd be more efficient

Our scrap yards here will take any car, truck, motorhome......whatever with no title, as long as it is unrecognizable.......cut up beyond cut up til it ain't "whatever it was" anymore. I have done several. They usually want all the glass gone, though, but I've never had an issue. Might be different where you are.

$400 for enough parts for 2 blocks? That's a cry for help

Funny thing about RVs, they don't last as long as regular cars nor do they get used as much, yet they cost so much to buy then cost to get rid of. At least opt for the smaller cheaper trailers or campers.
Random question: why aren't motorhomes diesel instead of gas? I'd imagine they'd be more efficient
Newer ones are Diesel.

Yeah I already planned on cuttin it up into pieces. Whatever scrap metal comes out of it, however meager the scrap prices may be, I'll add it to my metal scrap and see how much I get back. Whatever I get back will pay for the dump to take all the refuse (fiberglass, glass, carpeting, etc, whatever can't go on the burn pile). No matter what it'll be trash sooner or later, that thing is a biohazard and no one in their right mind would even go inside (hacking my lungs out ever since I went inside last night).

If he wants nothing for it, even better, engine for spare change. But we all know no one's even gonna buy it, let alone go in willingly.

I've personally pulled two engines from motorhomes. One was supposed to be a big block chevy. I spent a few hours stripping the hydraulic coolers, radiators, A/C condensers, front end, exhaust, etc off only to pay attention and realize it was a 460 ford... Ended up pulling it for FREE and swapping it for a 454 th400 that I needed. Then bought a running motor home for $100. 440 727 this time. Used a tractor and a Sawzall to peel it open. Pulled the whole drivetrain straight up through the floor. Worked pretty well. Friend of a friend scraps stuff as a hobby and wanted the remains of both. The th400 had a bolt in yoke and required a slip driveshaft. The 727 has a huge park brake mounted on the tailshaft and is sitting in storage still.

There is no way I would pay $500 and have to pull it out and haul it off. Not sure I would do it again at all... it's a ton of work.
IMG_0805.jpg

I've personally pulled two engines from motorhomes. One was supposed to be a big block chevy. I spent a few hours stripping the hydraulic coolers, radiators, A/C condensers, front end, exhaust, etc off only to pay attention and realize it was a 460 ford... Ended up pulling it for FREE and swapping it for a 454 th400 that I needed. Then bought a running motor home for $100. 440 727 this time. Used a tractor and a Sawzall to peel it open. Pulled the whole drivetrain straight up through the floor. Worked pretty well. Friend of a friend scraps stuff as a hobby and wanted the remains of both. The th400 had a bolt in yoke and required a slip driveshaft. The 727 has a huge park brake mounted on the tailshaft and is sitting in storage still.

There is no way I would pay $500 and have to pull it out and haul it off. Not sure I would do it again at all... it's a ton of work.
View attachment 1715100693
It's funny just how the only solid matter in front of you in those is the ENGINE. At least you sit high enough that if you're in a crash, you'll just fly right over the other car.

That's why I put in the effort upfront to make sure it's the right engine. I'm willing to put in the work knowing it's got what I'm after. Again, I'll pay Gramps a fair price for the engine if he wants something for it, but if he doesn't want anything for it then even better

So I asked Gramps again about the motorhome. Apparently, there's already a plan in the next year for my uncles to come out and tear apart the motorhome. At best, I'd split the bill for taking the bits to the dump. He has no problem with me just taking the engine, as he puts it, "one less thing on it to deal with!". He just doesn't want the thing torn into until they're all ready to come and dismantle it, but I can wait.

okay so I couldn't get a good pic, but here's the numbers I saw:

EDIT: my "outline" didnt format right, basically I saw "9 T 440 T E" then "8 23"

There may have been more numbers, but those are the only ones I could find. They don't stamp those very deep.

Safe to assume by now it's a 440?

Cast crank.

-
Back