What is a 408???

-
Take a 360 and bore it .030 over, nice set of flat top pistons (10.8 app Comp), Scat rods (budget) H beem rods if you want to spend a little more, polished stock crank, ProMaxx heads, port matched Victor 340 intake, 750-850 Holley carb, .520 Racer Brown cam. It will run on 93 pump gas and probably put out 350-400 horsepower easily
Thank you. Promax heads? Never heard of them.

Did you flow test a ported set by chance?

No I haven't. If any of my local Friends buy a set I will offer some free testing to see what they do. i'm set well with heads right now and if I did ever buy a set I'm not going to pay for CNC work because I would be porting them more anyway.

It would be interesting to see what they flow CNC ‘d and then ported on your bench.

It would be interesting to see what they flow CNC ‘d and then ported on your bench.

The numbers off that Shocker link look about were they should be with that runner size. I'm kinda surprised that's all they flow with a 2.08 valve. I've hit 318 cfm on Eldelbrock heads with a 2.08 valve. Stock Eldelbrock heads max out at 243 average on my bench (out of the box)

Shockers (Promax cnc)

Flow Data @ 28″ water
lift 200 300 400 500 600 700
Int 142 202 251 278 284 286
Ext 124 159 190 203 219 231

The shocker (ProMaxx) head wasn't available back when I flow tested the ProMaxx heads and the numbers look even better as should be as the intake volume is app 15 cc better. Now your horsepower output would be even higher with this head and you would be spanking lots of 408 builds I see daily. Its ALL in the combo.
Those are nice but definitely out of my price range

The heads you are looking to get (RHS LA-X iron) are perfectly fine for 300 hp and probably 450-500 with porting I would definitely jump on them. Only advantage to aluminum IMO is the lighter weight mainly if you're looking to go fast around corners. And I just sank about $2k in a set of Edelbrock RPMs, not bad considering they were ported but still...

The heads you are looking to get (RHS LA-X iron) are perfectly fine for 300 hp and probably 450-500 with porting I would definitely jump on them. Only advantage to aluminum IMO is the lighter weight mainly if you're looking to go fast around corners. And I just sank about $2k in a set of Edelbrock RPMs, not bad considering they were ported but still...
I think it will be a good street set up and still fun to beat on

For the money I'm looking real hard at this. Not relevant if you have a block. Just sayin.......

BluePrint Engines 408CI Stroker Crate Engine | Small Block Chrysler Style | Shortblock

View attachment 1715257326
What's the deal with Blueprint? A few years back, they had a terrible reputation with forums. Now I see Hot Rod Magazine pushing them. A magazine will push whoever pays them, but Blueprints rep was bad.
How are they so cheap? It can't be a quality build.

What's the deal with Blueprint? A few years back, they had a terrible reputation with forums. Now I see Hot Rod Magazine pushing them. A magazine will push whoever pays them, but Blueprints rep was bad.
How are they so cheap? It can't be a quality build.

I don't know about the past. Lots of good info and reviews on here. With real world experience. Just an option I'm looking at.

So tell us about your experience with Blueprint's 408, if you would please. Maybe help someone make a decision. They seem to stand behind them with a good warranty.

Edit: Found your post about Blueprint. Thanks for the write-up!

Last edited:
So tell us about your experience with Blueprints 408, if you would please. Maybe stop someone from making a mistake.
Nothing but "so far so good" with the Blueprint short block I bought through Summit around May 2017. Did my research, weighed the options for my situation, read various bad and enough good to pull the trigger. Liked what I saw when I got it, and what Im seeing currently. My exploits with my build are on a lengthy thread elsewhere, so I'd rather not help any more in derailing the op's thead. :)

Nothing but "so far so good" with the Blueprint short block I bought through Summit around May 2017. Did my research, weighed the options for my situation, read various bad and enough good to pull the trigger.
Kinda like buying an Eagle cast crank. They are inexpensive, and if you google it, They do break at the snout by first main. More than a few. maybe a few bad years of bad castings, I don't know. Are there a bunch of them ripping around on the street with no problems? I'm sure. Paying more for better quality is usually the case. Then there is buying something from Mopar Performance. In which case you paid more for nothing.

:lol:

Last edited:
-
Back