what is this car?

-
Looks like a Morgan. Might even be a Morgan 8 with a V8. Weighs as much as a Buick. Look at it from the bottom and it appears to have been made out of old wooden pallets and beer cans.

Earlier Morgans were 3 wheelers, single wheel at the back, Indian motorcycle engine in the front .

Last edited:
I worked at the dealer when those Opel's were new. Fun cars.

I've got a couple little foreign cars with V8's swapped in.... but the ultimate huge motor in a little car is the 426 hemi swapped bugeye sprite. Completely insane.
I've seen that, here it is, very VERY impressive, and by the way, this gal has some GREAT videos

My semi-educated guess: Morgan Plus 4. This one's a 59, but they look very similar today.

Morgan-Plus-4.jpg

Haven't seen a Opel gt in years.
Some guy brought one to a Hagerstown cruse in, but it was lengthened and widen with a vette engine. It may have been on a vette chassis, he didn`t say. Who ever done it did a beautiful job. That thing was wicked cool. That was Years ago, haven`t seen it since.

When I was little, my parents house had an upstairs apartment they rented out. A woman that rented it had an Opel GT. I haven't seen one in years and years.

That was Waynesboro PA, by the way!

Some guy brought one to a Hagerstown cruse in, but it was lengthened and widen with a vette engine. It may have been on a vette chassis, he didn`t say. Who ever done it did a beautiful job. That thing was wicked cool. That was Years ago, haven`t seen it since.

When I was little, my parents house had an upstairs apartment they rented out. A woman that rented it had an Opel GT. I haven't seen one in years and years.

That was Waynesboro PA, by the way!
They`re out there, but I haven`t seen any in my area.
Hagerty did a vid, that shown a guy who collected a bunch, but most were parts cars at best.

The first guy has some cool cars. I always liked the early Nissan Z cars. Similar to the early Supra cars. My buddy lost his life in an early Supra.

Anyway, the second guy reminds me of us a-body guys only X10. Low production numbers and not a lot of interest. The guy sure has the parts though!!!

I think the baddest motor you could get in a Lotus Seven was around 100-125hp, and even that was seriously quick. Can you imagine a 350hp Honda, Mitsubishi or Subie in one? Yikes! ( probably equivalent to a 1300hp hellcat). I think Caterham will sell you a 1500 lb version with 250 hp.
The original Lotus 7 was just under 1,000 lbs. Problem with those is the frame cracked just behind the seats. Caterham worked for Lotus and bought the production rights when lotus decided to cease production. Caterham put braces and brackets in to strengthen the frames. Depending on the engine chosen, curb weight was up to 1,200# to 1,300#. They have one model called the 620R. The 620 refers to HP per ton. A fair handfull. That is in comparison to a new Challenger, Camaro or Mustang at 1,100HP, and any of those will have traction control and stability control, which the Caterham does not have. Caterham has a few models with more sedate drivetrains. One new one goes back to more like the original with a modern 3 cylinder engine. Still a responsive street performer.
Too bad the TD did not have a 289 installed as the hood sides would fit. The 289 is about 80# lighter than the 283, both all iron engines. 289/302 fit under Model T hoods easily while the SBC is a snug fit. 351W and 351C are taller and wider so do not fit well. I think the SBM is also taller than the SBC so would not fit well.
A guy in Edmonton, Alberta years ago installed a 340 into a Datsun 240Z. Those had a fair bit of engine room.

Haven't seen a Opel gt in years.
A guy has one, along with a seventies beetle, about a block from my best friends house. Its parked in different spots when I go by, so he's driving it.
Also saw one at a tire shop here in Arizona a few months back, haven't seen it since.
What you NEVER see, Is a Kadett, like a buddy had in high school. I haven't seen one of those, in years!
(Many, MANY years ago, I had an Opel Rekord station wagon that I wanted to make a street rod out of. It would have made a killer gasser, but I didnt have the facilities or knowledge for that project at the time, and it went away. When I could have done it, a few years later, it was too late.)

Looks like the Brit car the snotty Professor in the film "Back to School" drove (sans wire-wheels). I thought that was a Morgan, but a google says a 1945-50 MG TC Midget. Perhaps the Morgan was related since some Brit cars then were incetuous. If interested, I recall a Wheeler-Dealers episode restored a Morgan. MG TC in "Back to School"

-
Back