What is this opening for?

-

pyrojim

Reaction score
I think throttle rod, but this car has a throttle cable.
1966 dodge dart gt convertible.
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 409
Throttle system, looks like it's a slant six early a body, my 66 /6 valiant has the same thing, I have retro'ed a cable system to my /6 by
changing my throttle peddle

I used a gas peddle out of a 71 Valiant (I beleve) and bolted it in and used a washer to seal it off and ran my cable threw it and used a C clip to hold the cable, but let a good tech jump in hear, there my be a cable cover that will bolt right to it for a cable, mine was mechanical rods for my /6.

Flux capacitor conduit outlet.

Thanks Memike. Right next to it on the right, I believe I have the correct gas pedal assembly and the oblong plate with three holes that bolts to the motor side of the firewall. I bought this as a basket case and is my first! Lol, so I'm trying to piece it together. Plus, I had the throttle cable and assembly mocked up maybe converted by a previous owner. Maybe paint and a grommet to keep the opening available!
Thanks again

Yeah, ok. I understand the flux capacitor and the motion detector controller. But a cloaking device? That's just ridiculous!

Thanks Memike. Right next to it on the right, I believe I have the correct gas pedal assembly and the oblong plate with three holes that bolts to the motor side of the firewall. I bought this as a basket case and is my first! Lol, so I'm trying to piece it together. Plus, I had the throttle cable and assembly mocked up maybe converted by a previous owner. Maybe paint and a grommet to keep the opening available!
Thanks again

Sounds good , mine was dun under a shade tree :glasses7: if you like I can get on my computer and show you a picture, I used a home light fixture attaching plate :D
It's been staying busy for 5 years and 15.000 miles of Arkansas roads :D

My 65 Dart 273 has the same hole with "horseshoe". It was designed for the slant rotating throttle rod, but the V-8 cable throttles use the same mounting holes. The V-8's have a plate w/ lever that holds the throttle cable, so get that and an easy bolt up. I understand that 4 bbl cars had a longer cable than 2 bbl.

Flux capacitor conduit outlet.

Sorry, Rusty, but a conduit fitting for a flux capacitor is MUCH larger

pipe.jpg

My 65 dart has the same two holes and when I put the V8 in the mounting plate for the V8 gas pedal assembly in with a new foam gasket covers over that slant 6 throttle rod opening. I hope this helps

I think throttle rod, but this car has a throttle cable.
1966 dodge dart gt convertible.
Thanks

That's the traffic 'relief' portal - if you're stuck in traffic, you can take a leak out that hole. The Chevy and Ford version come with a hose that reaches up to the lap belt. The Mopar guys don't need the hose. ;-)

My 65 dart has the same two holes and when I put the V8 in the mounting plate for the V8 gas pedal assembly in with a new foam gasket covers over that slant 6 throttle rod opening. I hope this helps

yep!! the correct early-a V8 pedal rod/plate combo will cover up the hole. did this on my 66 when i dropped in a smallblock.

yep!! the correct early-a V8 pedal rod/plate combo will cover up the hole. did this on my 66 when i dropped in a smallblock.

hmm if you'll look in the last 2 pictures above in my post you can see that the throttle cable from that V8 car isn't in the /6 opening and closer to the master cylinder. and it bolts into the inside of the car from the outside like the early A's V8 cables, I've looked at a couple of other v8 cars and they were the same as in the picture. in my /6 conversion using a later model pedal I was able to use it in the same hole but drilled new holes for the bolt to come out into the engine compartment. (then had to move it further in towards the brake pedal since I added factory air in the car and it was under the heater box outlet.)

hmm if you'll look in the last 2 pictures above in my post you can see that the throttle cable from that V8 car isn't in the /6 opening and closer to the master cylinder. and it bolts into the inside of the car from the outside like the early A's V8 cables, I've looked at a couple of other v8 cars and they were the same as in the picture. in my /6 conversion using a later model pedal I was able to use it in the same hole but drilled new holes for the bolt to come out into the engine compartment. (then had to move it further in towards the brake pedal since I added factory air in the car and it was under the heater box outlet.)

totally agree!!! i should have elaborated, the original V8 pedal plate i sourced was from a 65 barracuda, the plate covered up the original L6 rod hole, and i had to punch a new hole for the V8 cable, moving it father left as stated, using the original pedal plate assembly as my guide, and one more hole for one of the mounting studs. other than that, it was fairly painless!

Thanks Krazy. That's the setup I have. Cars in the body shop so I wasn't aware the V8 setup covered the throttle hole!
Jim

-
Back