What strange foods do you eat that others don't understand??

-
now the real question is...do you eat your sauerkraut hot or cold?
Any way I can get it.

Liverwurst and cheese on an onion Kaiser with some horseradish/mayo. Liver and onions if it's cooked right.

Oh yeah ! I like any toasted bread or muffin with butter , mayo , sharp cheddar and liverwurst .

My GF says " you are eating fat on top of fat on top of fat covered with more fat !!

THEN SHE ATE MY BREAKFAST !

I never could see the appeal of potato chips in a sandwich but many seem to like it. My Dad liked Buttermilk. My Mom salted everything including watermelon.

I never could see the appeal of potato chips in a sandwich but many seem to like it. My Dad liked Buttermilk. My Mom salted everything including watermelon.

I love a big cold glass of whole buttermilk with a teaspoon of salt.

My grandmother gave me canned peaches with mayo on top? Don't know if it was a southern thing or she was senile...

We make and eat Rappe Pie. It's 3 main ingredients are shredded potatoes, chicken and rabbit, it can be pretty gross looking but it tastes great and I am not even French. Others are Polcanarsky (sp?), and all the home made stuff I make. LOL

Jack

When I had a Croatian girlfriend way back, we ate some of the craziest foods I've ever heard of! For Christmas, her mom made a dish called joloditz, or "pickled pigs feet in grey jello"! She would simmer that all day, we would go to midnight mass, then come home to celebrate, with everybody getting a bowl! There was a fun game attached...whoever got the most bones on their plate would win some sort of little gift!

For Easter is was Julitza and Shpeh, an egg loaf and simmered whole bacon! You would go to morning mass, then come home to a big Easter spread! The procedure was...take a bite of raw horseradish root, take a bite of shpeh, and a bite of julitza, and chew it all up together!!! Of course her dad was a Tennessee hillbilly, so he would fry the julitza and cook the shpeh like bacon crisp, and eat an onion like an apple!!

There's also a longstanding traditional Irish meal of Crubeens, pigs feet poached all day, then breaded and deep fried and eaten by picking the meat off the bones!! You want to use the front feet tho, or the "trotters" as the Irish call em!!

Last edited:
I have a buddy who eats peanut butter, mayo, and pickles sandwiches.

I leave the room when he eats it.

I won't eat pizza because it looks like someone already ate it and it didn't agree with them.

When I was very young I was all about my papa. Whatever he liked, I liked.
Grandma would cook up a can of brains, mix in the egg scramble, pool of grits on the plate. When papa would stir it all together and pepper it good, I did too.
Other mornings grandma would pull salt mackerel from a big jar, fry them up, and plate over a bed of white rice.
Red eye gravy was mostly grease from frying country ham with coffee added. Great on grits.
I liked all these things.
The strangest part, On some evenings papa would say, "Lets have a snack". Sometimes it was left over cornbread broken up in a bowl, with diced onion, black pepper, and buttermilk. Gotta spoon?
Other times it was sardines on saltines, again with the black pepper, ( we peppered the heck outa everything ), and washed down with fresh buttermilk.
Many years later cousin Jack suggested that papa only ate these concoctions to see me eat them. Not true. My wife aint gonna cook brains-n-eggs or salt mackerel for breakfast but I still enjoy those snacks sometimes.

..i can't think of a better way to start the day than with a toasted fried egg sandwich,and with ketchup of coarse!

Brown Bread in a can with Boston baked beans & franks. wife is from Oregon and has never heard of it.

Had an ex girlfriend from the south that loved to eat fatback.

That wasn't all she liked to eat, but this is a family site.

I think I must be very well traveled and adventurous. Pretty much everything posted so far sounds good. Anywhere I go I always make it a point to eat like the locals. I laugh when northerners go south and order a burger, or Americans go abroad and eat at Subway. I'm always looking for the family owned place down an alley. The wierdest thing lately was snapping turtle scrapple. I ate it sitting on a log with a hillbilly in overalls. It was great. For all I know it was opossum spleen wrapped in tinfoil. These PA guys surprise me sometimes.

I was in a restaurant in Mississippi several years ago and was going to order breakfast. The waitress ask if I wanted any mater gravy she had to explain what maters were. Fried tomatoes that were used to make gravy. May have been good, but I had to pass. Now that I have had Fried tomatoes I would have probably liked it

-
Back