When it is time to sell.

-

Valiant63

Early A-body Valiants
Reaction score
I got a 64 Dart out of the garage this weekend that I wasn't using and sold it, but then I got my 65 Barracuda out to drive around which is fully licensed and insured as a regular car, not an antique. I am not feeling the love for it. My first car was a 65 Barracuda 6 cylinder and this is a V-8. It handles like an old truck to me. Since I am contemplating a move, should I consider selling this one too to lighten up the load? I do have a 65 Signet that I am keeping. Besides lack of use, when is it time to sell in your opinions???

Dang, what was the Dart? Too late....sold. LOL

When the love is gone, when you don't have the time, money, or space to store or work on it, that's when I would sell. It's better to sell a car and let someone else enjoy it than just pack it away and never build or drive it. tmm

I had a 64 Belvedere perfect survivor, 17,000 miles on it .Had it for 9 years and used it very little. Knew that no matter what I sold it for, I could never replace it, but sold it anyway because of lack of desire to use it.

Personally, I think you've answered your own question. I think you've headed down "that road..."

"...Thrill is gone......" sell it. Itll come back if you need it that bad.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fk2prKnYnI"]B. B. King - The Thrill Is Gone (Live at Montreux 1993) - YouTube[/ame]

give me the v 8, install another slant, it will drive like a dream, we will both be happy!!!
I think we all agree, these old cars are to be enjoyed: whether you get your happies, restoring, cutting um up, driving, racing, or just dragging another one home to see if ya pushed her over the edge this time!!????? LOL
remember: the true test to tell if your a REAL mopar guy, is HOW many ya have, doesn't matter if any run!! ? LOL

Mike, The 64 had a 273 pb auto with disk brakes, headers and 8 3/4 rear. It's gone. I had it advertized her alst year, but not much interest in it. The Barracuda is just kind of doggy compared to newer cars. I guess I will put it on the market and see what I can get for it. The other Mopars I have don't run. Sound familiar?

It is healthy to let go of things when they don't serve your goals anymore. On the other hand, your lack of enjoyment could be a sign you're depressed. Something to consider.

I am feeling the same thing, just too many vehicles.
I have the same problem, I have a restored cj-2a jeep that I have drove 700 miles in 4 years.
Bought a cj-5 last winter because the wife thought it was pretty, (it is drop dead pretty and well optioned). Drove it two times.
Thinking about selling these two jeeps and maybe my Wrangler just get rid of some of the vehicles I really dont use.

Goldfish. I think I am, too. I am disappointed in my family (siblings)... in the way that they see and treat me. It is nothing new. I have moved away from here more than once before. I am tired of being used and then kicked away when I don't serve their purpose. Too many cars is going to make it difficult to move.

Pick which one you'd absolutely keep, sell the others and put the money in the one you keep. Maybe do something extreme with it that'll keep you interested.
Drag car,
pro street,
pro touring,
etc.

You ask a good question.
Everyone has days when they don't have a positive attitude.
So you need to figure out if it's a temporary thing or that you might be starting to be a good example for the rest of us and coming to your senses.
I like the idea of keeping one you really like and enjoy it.

I have a 66 Cuda and a 73 Stroked Duster. Love both, could not part with them easily. I had a 81 Mirada, 340, police package, dual exhaust, etc. Liked the car but seldom drove it, and was not inclined to fix it up, although it was driveable, and the A/C worked. Finally let it go. Keep one or two you really like, and focus on them.

.............Or maybe step away for a few weeks or months and find something else to do, rethink, etc. I agree that maybe "streamlining" your effort towards one vehicle might be good.

Pick one and focus on it and truly make it yours. After having a 51 Willys 4x4 pu that was a true pain to get parts for and I was always having to adjust the points and carb.

I decided that the 65 Barracuda was going with EFI and HEI. If the car isn't very rare the more modern you can stand to make it the more time you can drive it.

I like the idea of selling much of what I got and concentrating on one or two: one that drives, and one that I can work on. I am not into too may modern upgrades except dual master cylinder brakes. I enjoy the power of the V-8, but like the simplicity of the slant 6. I may just keep the slant 6 cars and have fun with them. They are 65 Valiants/Signets. So, I suppose that once it stops raining here, I need to get some good pictures of the 65 (318 4 bbl auto) factory 273 4 spd car and advertize it for sale. I will just keep two cars and unload the others, including the 5 parts cars. I think they are overwhelming me just having them around.

The weather will play on your mind,when it comes to playing with our toys. Rain , snow,wind,heat,cold. Sometimes I use weather for the excuse not to,, And always think why am I keeping and paying for this stuff ?

I got a 64 Dart out of the garage this weekend that I wasn't using and sold it, but then I got my 65 Barracuda out to drive around which is fully licensed and insured as a regular car, not an antique. I am not feeling the love for it. My first car was a 65 Barracuda 6 cylinder and this is a V-8. It handles like an old truck to me. Since I am contemplating a move, should I consider selling this one too to lighten up the load? I do have a 65 Signet that I am keeping. Besides lack of use, when is it time to sell in your opinions???

so what aren't you feeling about it? the entire car or just the fact that it handles like a truck??? if its because it handles like a truck then thats an easy fix and can be addressed in a bunch of different ways.

if its just because you just don't like it and can't get into it then sell it.

i don't see the point of having it if all its going to do is sit around because you aren't into it. we are actually going through the same thing right now. we only really use the dart once a year for a trip to ocean city md then a handful of times the rest of the year. just don't see the point of having it. we use the mustang a ton more plus its a lot more fun to drive. i've asked jamie a few times if she wants to sell it and up till now she hasn't. but the other day i think reality stepped in and she says maybe we should sell. says she likes the car but we never use it and dropping down to just one car as a toy would make things a lot easier.

You ask a good question.
Everyone has days when they don't have a positive attitude.
So you need to figure out if it's a temporary thing or that you might be starting to be a good example for the rest of us and coming to your senses.
I like the idea of keeping one you really like and enjoy it.

Yep....just don't jump to any hasty decisions.....

Getting these cars to handle "pretty darn good" requires a bit of STANDARD mechanics work but nothing really special. Even in my reduced state of physical self, I pulled this off

Rebuild the front end, it probably needs it anyhow

Install at least a front sway bar

Install stiffer T bars. I "fell into" some aftermarket stiffer bars

Install stiffer rear springs. I used two sets of springs which I stacked the longest leafs together out of a junker. I believe I have one more rear leaf. It's perfect, for me

New shocks, needed them anyhow

Decent radial tires.

I don't "do" autoX, but this thing is no longer a sled, either. It handles at LEAST as good as I'm able to drive.

There are NO exotic parts in mine except for aftermarket T bars which anyone can get.

In my case, I made the mistake of deciding to paint the car.......................

Yes, the age old question. To sell or not to sell.
In my opinion, it's time to sell when you feel the car is a burden to you.
Fast forward yourself 5 years and if you are happy that you sold it or mad at yourself for letting it go, then you have your answer.
The worst thing you can do is make a snap decision because you are frustrated or depressed at the time. Things will change for the better later down the road, trust me.......(The same is true when you buy a car).
Another thing, these old cars won't handle or drive like a new car unless you put a lot of work into them. I like the old school cars the way they are, good and bad. It's recapturing a part of my youth i guess.
If i wanted my car to drive, handle, and get the gas mileage of a new car, i would just buy one, it's a lot easier.......and you have a warranty to boot.
That's why i'm not interested in doing a 5.7 Hemi swap in my car with the 12'' brakes and handling package, 19'' wheels, yada yada.
If i wanted this, i would just buy a new Challenger or Mustang and get it over with and save a lot of work in the long run, and maybe some money.
They look good too!
My 2 cents for what it's worth........
Good luck to you.
Tom.

When the love is gone, when you don't have the time, money, or space to store or work on it, that's when I would sell. It's better to sell a car and let someone else enjoy it than just pack it away and never build or drive it. tmm

Great point Mike. I'm stuck because I have the 66 Cuda and the 71 Dart. Both of which need work, the Dart needing way more in particular.

I keep thinking about getting rid of it, then my wife talks me out of it saying "you know you will regret it". Therefore I keep picking up parts for it and letting the Cuda sit.

The idea was to build them both, and pass them down to my boys when they are of age, but we have a 2.5 car garage and it really hinders me from getting work done on the DDs. We don't have the money to build an extension and IL weather would have the Dart rusted to pieces in a few years. Not going down that road with it.

It's just difficult sometimes because you can see the potential, you just can't get it there in a timely or budget friendly manner.

Ahh, good ole 1st world problems of Mopar owners... :)

-
Back