When you pick up 45HP from fixing the ports and cam

-

Brian Hafliger

Reaction score
Freshening up a 422 NOS build we did a few years ago, changed the cam around (from cam grinders recommended to my specs), and changed the intake ports/chambers around. They flowed well (around 355cfm) but as you can see the dykem test shows the plug getting hammered. Made some port changes, 8 total changes in all to the ports and chamber, and just about eliminated the plug wetting.
We were so busy and rushing to get this done so I didn't get a video but man this thing sounds good at 8100rpm! Almost 730HP at 7900rpm and 527TQ at 6400rpm. With huge 3 step 2- 2 1/8- 2 1/4 headers for the nitrous. Very pleased with this build, and moving to port NOS instead of plate.
Before porting dykem test:

B1MC 2.jpg

After port changes:
B1MC 1.jpg

Altered port on the right:
B1 MC 3.jpg

B1 MC 4.jpg

That's great,I'm sure the customer is happy. What heads?

That sure wasn't helping the plugs one bit, was it?

Does the dye get sucked into the flow bench? Does it cause any problems or is it messy? Thank you.

Does the dye get sucked into the flow bench? Does it cause any problems or is it messy? Thank you.

It’s alcohol based so it dries pretty quick.

I hate to admit it, but I‘ve used red and blue paint because it was all I had at the time and I was ready to test.

And it worked. I’d rather use dykem though.

What's all that black stuff on the second pic in the chamber? What colour was the exhaust valve in the that pic when you pulled it out was it black or a tan colour?

I personally wouldn't place any emphasis on a dykem test because it doesn't take into consideration what all the fuel that's on the walls is doing. Simply spraying some colour in the centre of the port would not even remotely replicate what happens in the running engine in my view.

I do what Darin Morgan does...spray from about 2ft. away, about 2ft higher than the intake port opening, and shoot for 1 second. Yes it does get into the bore adapter, just clean with solvent and let dry before flowing again. It works in helping to see where the heavier fluid is going, or taken by the air and also what it shears off of. Because there were so many changes needed (IMO) to the port, I used this more as a how bad is it really compared to how I normally size-shape a port. I was really surprised! The dykem test is as valid as dry flow numbers from a flow bench...you have to understand much more of what is going on than just numbers or how the dykem looks.

I did not note this, but we ran it N.A., no nitrous. He has the ability to run around a 500-600 shot, starting at around a 400shot.

-
Back