Who has built there own car.

-

68dodge

Reaction score
How many FABO persons here have built there own cars? I not talking about having a body shop do a 100% paint and body work. I did 98% of all the work on My 71 Scamp with a 440. I think it great to see some doing all most all there own rebuilds.

Attachments

• 28.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 382
  • Scamp9.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 379
With my best friends help, we built my old 71 Duster. When I got it, it was just a rolling shell with a cage. We didn't do any body work to it, I was too cheap for that any way. Besides, the only body work I've ever done is DA a car down and wet sand orange peel out of a new paint job.

By the way, nice job on your car. You should be very proud.

Attachments

• _0227.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 366
  • Dana.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 378
  • _0228.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 370
  • Duster 2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 374
That's what I do for a living...front to back ..top to bottom..everything..machine work..paint and body..trans.. diff..interior..glass..100%

we do everything, rust repair, panel replacement, bodywork, paint, everything is done in my garage. And I would not have it any other way, its good to know you can still do stuff and accomplish goals on your own. You save a ton of money, and it keeps me busy/ out of trouble( lots of dirtbags around)

In process...
file-59.jpg

I am thinking about outsourcing the body work due to time and logistic constraints. I mean, I do live 6,000 miles from my project.

I am getting ready to start my 67 Formula S in 3-4 weeks.I will do the car myself but my Uncle has painted cars for a living for 30 years so I will have him help me as well...

Jim

We do it all. Bodywork including metal replacement, sand/primer/sand/primer, then a complete paint job in the garage, rebuild/upgrade the suspension, build engines, rebuild automatic (727 and 904) and A833 transmissions, wiring, glass replacement, rear ends, vinyl top installation, put on decals and stripes, headliners, did a complete 4-speed conversion, and we make our own seat covers. Not just install them but SEW them ourselves. I've sewed complete interiors for our Dart, Duster, Challenger, and my daughter's Chevy truck.

Then we race them, beat them to hell, and rebuild them again. lol.

Here is the rear seat cover I sewed for our Challenger:

11se6-1.jpg

I pay for machine shop services, materials, glass (front and rear windows), and exhaust bending. Otherwise I do everything and have since 1987. Mechanical, steel work, body work, and paint. I've also done a few others for other people. I started because I was not satisfied in quality or explanations of what happened when I did pay for something. So I learned not to trust most average places, and I learned everything I could about how they worked. I was not into cars at all until I had a mopar, and I'm the only one in my family (of seven) that does. IMO, you can't get a better feeling then seeing your work impress a stranger or watching an engine beat another car...lol.

I have done several.This is one of my Dusters. It started as a white/blue slant/auto. Hit tree hard dead center in front. The first pic is after we pulled the front to straighten the cowl and A-pillars. We then put a 68 dart front clip on it. Everything was done at are residence in are garage except the bottom end of the motor. I just completed a 87 ram 340 supercharged. We converted it into a 93 dodge diesel with a 05 cummins. And also a Supercharged Omni. I have a 71 340 4spd. duster I am working on now. and a 71 340 4spd. Demon just off a rotisary that will get a Hemi. All body , paint and other welding. fabrication and machine work is done in are garage. Bridgeport , lathe, welders ( tig, mig ,stick and spot), frame machine, beaders and blasters. Tire machs. balancers. Parts washer. Horozontal and vertical saws, rotisary, fork lift , lift, 7 dogs, and the list goes on. 3 generations of equipment for home use. I help alot of friends with their projects. I do it for the love of mopars I do not have a buisiness doing this. I live in north east Pa. and all are welcome.

I did everything on my cuda and my brothers dart lite except paint. Both cars were striped to bare metal.Lost all my pics of my build when my cumputer crashed.His started as 6cyd 4sp. Now 406 stroker 4spd. My cuda 383 4spd, now 499 auto.

Attachments

• DSCN1538.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCN1532.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 220
  • P7110058.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 205
  • P7110054.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 203
  • P4060022.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 211
  • P7110057.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 217
im doing EVERYTHING on my car from body work to interior. i like the experience and sometimes the challenge. thats also why i sometimes post three or four questions a day on here lol. the main reason im doing it on my car is cause this is what i wanna do for a living, hot rods and custom work. i wanna open a full service hot rod shop eventually.

My Dad and I have done everything with the engine, interior and drive train, but I left the body and paint to a professional. I am clueless about that stuff, nor do I have the room to do it.

If it can be done with hand tools I do it. Rebuilt my engine, transmission, steering, suspension, brakes, electrical, bodywork, interior. If I had access to a machine shop I would do that too. Of course about two years ago some of the stuff like the trans. I never even would have tried on my own. But with guidance from members on here like Fishy68 I have many new found skills.

Yup!

Attachments

• 0402111724b.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Feb.26,2011 042_1.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Feb.26,2011 037_1.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Feb.26,2011 021_1.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 10-4-2010 011_1.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 10-4-2010 007_1.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 117
  • sept. 30 2010 2294_1.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 0412091738a.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 129
Did everything on mine but the top.

Attachments

• jaws inside.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 122
  • cuda motor.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 118
  • 011.jpg-1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 012-1.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 125
I work as a mechanic and could never have anyone else work on mine. I just wish I could concentrate long enough to complete one without getting bored and moving onto another one.

-
Back