Who has painted their engine with a spray gun?

-
I went to my trusted paint supplier and bought a pint of this....

134 R.JPG

Yeah, buddy....GoManGo in single stage urethane enamel.
This is the Chrysler orange color from Duplicolor:

130 R (2).JPG

Now here it is next to the open can of the GoManGo color....

131 R.JPG

The GoManGo is brighter and more vibrant. It obviously isn't factory correct but so what....Not much else is with the car anyway.

I did the one in Joe Dirt about a year and a half ago and only have just over 7000 miles on it. Fixing to install an A500 OD so will be putting many more miles on it.
Most of the others that I posted were customer's cars and are long gone. The 5.9 Magnum in my green Dart is now apart.
upload_2022-6-10_1-13-52.jpeg

All of these freshly painted engines look great, but how about posting some photos of them once they have a ton of miles on them. That's more important, isn't it?

here ya go. just took this about 5 minutes ago. its a bit dirty but you can see how well its held up. been in the car since September 2016. this stuff holds up great. can wash it kike like ya do on the outside of your car.

IMG_20220610_062646.jpg

IMG_20220610_062654.jpg

Tell me more about this.
Paint Pro's have used Naphtha for decades.
It leaves no film, evaporates very fast and is an excellent degreasing solvent.
Cheap $ , and a little bit goes along way.
Try it you'll like it

There is a reason auto enamel or urethane has a gloss hardner!!
I know, you rattle canned your hemi cuda and after 6 years, it still looks great!!:rofl:

Go
Rattle can don't match anyway these days.
I tried to spray my /6 a few months ago with por 15 engine paint and I don't know if it was because I had an old pint of their engine paint or if that's just how it is but the spray came out and laid on almost transparent. After 3 coats the freeze plugs were still silver. I'd had that paint here for 5-6 years though it was on a shelf in a closet in the house so I know it never froze. As much as I like the other por paint products and as well as they have treated me in the past I can't recommend their engine paint.
Next time I will buy a fresh can, and I will try either bill Hirsch engine paint or the KBS stuff. I have used the KBS hi temp manifold paint on this same slant 6 build, and I really like how that turned out.
I went to the paint shop looking for por version but they were out.
I've used kbs chassis paint as well as por 15 version and can't really tell any difference. So we'll see.

On that /6 that I sprayed mopar blue, what paint did get on there looks to be stuck but good, if it weren't for the poor coverage I'd have been happy.
I ended up spraying over the por 15 with duplicolor rattle can. Just to get it done as I was painting it on a Sunday.
Going to all that trouble, use Brass freeze plugs not steel ones.

I went to my trusted paint supplier and bought a pint of this....
Do you go to Warehouse Paint in Auburn?
View attachment 1715939984

Yeah, buddy....GoManGo in single stage urethane enamel.
This is the Chrysler orange color from Duplicolor:

View attachment 1715939986

Now here it is next to the open can of the GoManGo color....

View attachment 1715939988

The GoManGo is brighter and more vibrant. It obviously isn't factory correct but so what....Not much else is with the car anyway.

I have been a customer of Mac's Distributing in Citrus Heights since the mid 90s.

I can't chime in with spray-gun experience but how the heck do you guys with cars that get driven a lot keep your engines so damn clean? I've put about 10k miles on my current 360 and most of the front of the engine is covered in a layer of rubbery oily grime. Granted it leaks oil from between the intake and front china rail but I can't see how that could get thrown over the entire front of the engine. It almost seems like rubber from the v-belts, maybe my belt alignment is off? Belts are still in great shape though and never get thrown even when revving to 6k RPM.

I can't chime in with spray-gun experience but how the heck do you guys with cars that get driven a lot keep your engines so damn clean? I've put about 10k miles on my current 360 and most of the front of the engine is covered in a layer of rubbery oily grime. Granted it leaks oil from between the intake and front china rail but I can't see how that could get thrown over the entire front of the engine. It almost seems like rubber from the v-belts, maybe my belt alignment is off? Belts are still in great shape though and never get thrown even when revving to 6k RPM.

i wash it just like i wash the out side of the car.

The trick is to clean often, don't let the grim build up. Some of the dirt or grease could be coming from the roadway and not just from an oil leak.

The cooling fan will blow the slightest oil leak all over the front of the engine and the underside of the car.

-
Back