Would an extra 2" of tread width help?

-
my car has calvert springs, rancho rear shocks, Q a single adjustable on front, 9" tires, and a clutch., six cyl t bars also., when i make adjustments, i can still pull wheels off the ground on the launch. takes runs to find what car needs , just food for thought.
What people have to understand is some of us race at 4-6 different tracks several times a year. What works in May doesn’t work in August. Many of the races I attend you get 1-2 time trials at a 3 day race. Now for test n tuners it’s a different story. You make a change and make a pass. Make another change and make another pass. We need a 3 day race weekend to be within .01-.03 all weekend.

Depending on what the tires actually measure, could be 2” per side, or 4” total . I was always taught to put the biggest, stupidest tire on. If I was worried about the 60 foot change with bigger tires, I would change the rear gear to compensate. A friend of mine built a Monza, with a small block, powerglide trans 9” rear and 15x 33 tires. He talked about changing the 1st gear to a 1.69, to dead hook all the time

Sounds like that's the way to go. I guess I'll experiment with launch rpm and pulling timing when I go out again next year. No transbrake and leaving off idle should keep the spin to a minimum, but there is at least one track where drastic methods are going to be needed.
Are you still leaf spring? I am Calvert split mono, Cal tracs, Calvert shocks all the way around. Still using slant 6 torsion bars up front too.
I would try to make some rear shock adjustments first, if it were me, personally. Caltrac suspension is very popular suspension and still very effective. I understand your frustration. With your ET and 60’, I agree you should be able to hook it up just about anywhere. Before buying new bigger tires I’d try some of them knobs on the shocks, see where it goes from there.

As for how much? How "off" is it on the lousy track? Might lose .02 or 03 compared to good track, and improve by that much on the bad track.
(I ran a 14x32 on a 2500 lb ladder bar car with me in it, always hooked, best of 1.34/6.32)
As much as .06 .07 Enough to where you don't even have a chance.

Racing for consistency is tough like a chess game. Long and calculated. If you don't care to tune to conditions go bigger IMO.

On the other hand racing heads up is like an old west gun fight in front of a saloon, in comparison. Cars are pushed harder vs. track conditions round after round and like all competition the stakes get perceivabley higher as the night goes on. If you end up drawing a pistol againt your knife it's time to turn it up past your comfort zone and get ready to drive a little more than usual next pass.

Not all races are bracket races so consider other events you might take in that class cars by tire size. Very cool car and pics!

-
Back