Wow. I feel like crap!

-
Long time smoker, to long. Quit with the chantix because I had to. One day when I was shaving I found a lump in my neck about the size of a grape. After all sorts of tests finally had a biopsy. Result cancer. The lump was like a collecting place, they were looking for where if originated. Decided that tonsils might be suspect, so at 50 yrs old had to get tonsils out before surgery to remove lump and 6 months of chemo and radiation. They put me on chantix and I quit, had no choice because the tonsilectomy was absoulutely horrible and couldn't smoke. Stayed smoke free through the treatments and for a while afterwards. The day that my boss and friend of 16 years was killed when his jeep was hit by a tractor trailer I started smoking again. He had almost died a few years earlier, had a pacemaker put in and was supposed to quit smoking and used to say what the heck you're going to die from something, and he liked smoking and didn't want to quit. Tried chantix again for a while, didn't keep with it. If I was employed and had health insurance I'd go to the dr. and get a script and try it again. It gave my really vivid and odd dreams. After being on it for a while I'd wake at night with wierd feelings in my legs, like restless leg syndrome. It made me real bitchy and argumentive. But I'd try it again. It was never covered under insurance and was soooo expensive, that barely getting by on unemployment dosen't leave the funds for the inital outlay. Good luck I wish you the best. Someday I hope to be there (smoke free) again.

RJ Reynolds died of pancreatic cancer, FWIW.

Just remember, You are not a smoker. You don't do that anymore.

Go the gym!! The rush you get from exercise will replace that nicotine craving during stress, and the effects of smoking while exercising will be a strong reminder of your need to quit!

I was a smoker for about 40 years. Decided to quit, went to group hypnosis, didn't work. Private hypnotherapy, didn't work. Patch made me sick. Problem was, I enjoyed smoking, and didn't really want to quit, even though I knew I should. Finally one day I decided, I "WANTED" to quit. That is the key. You have to want to quit. What I had done prior was want someone/something force me to quit, against my will. I quit cold turkey, by denying myself a smoke, one minute/hour/day at a time. Once I quit, After about 2 weeks, I was not bothered by others smoking, except for the bad smell. 15yrs smoke free.

Chantix is just another way for a company to make money off of you. Quitting smoking is only as hard as you let yourself think it is. Whenever you get a craving take several deep breaths. You can do this, personally I think we've been brainwashed into thinking it's harder than it really is. Believe in yourself.

I sat down with a friend of mine and we figured out he had smoked 4 new fully loaded trucks. He is working on number 5 now and his health is failing so he may not see truck number 6. My wife's sister and brother died from lung issues and another sister is on oxygen now so now my wife is trying to quit. The oldest sister still living quit smaoking several yeras ago and has no lung problems. I absolutely hate the nasty smell of it and everytime I get in her car I can't see out the windshield. We drive my smoke free vehicle most of the time.

Prayers being sent for both of you for a great sucess in kicking that nasty habit to the curb.

I will keep you in our prayers! what is funny is the nicotine that you are taking in with every cigaret replaces what the body makes naturally. nicotine is part of a neural transmitters in your body. you have to stop smoking long enough for your body to start making it again and this is different for every one. me and my wife have not smoked for about 9 years now and it was the best thing we ever did. just think of it this way all the money you spent on the cigarets you can now put it in to your A-Body!!!!!!!!!

Finally one day I decided, I "WANTED" to quit. That is the key. You have to want to quit.

That is Exactually It! Was the same, tryed the patch, tryed the pills, but always fely like a smoker "missing out", now 9 months & counting later & I am Happy to say I am a NON-Smoker!

& took the $$ I was spending on cigarettes & put it into RRSP's

Never smoked. A friend has used Chantix to help him quit.....only to start smoking when the next "stressful" event hit........ He has managed to quit half a dozen times, each time lasting a bit longer than the last. Good luck

Never smoked. A friend has used Chantix to help him quit.....only to start smoking when the next "stressful" event hit........ He has managed to quit half a dozen times, each time lasting a bit longer than the last. Good luck

My wife had quite 3 times, each lasting 9 months. Why she starts again I dont know. I tell her she smells all the time and she gets pissed but o'well. The kids yell at her too.

That is Exactually It! Was the same, tryed the patch, tryed the pills, but always fely like a smoker "missing out", now 9 months & counting later & I am Happy to say I am a NON-Smoker!

& took the $$ I was spending on cigarettes & put it into RRSP's

xxxx2222

Someone had a book at work years ago about how to quit smoking written by Allen Carr and thats exactly what this book states..it changes your thinking and attutude. I read it with skepticism but it actually worked fro me 10 years ago. It boasted a 75% success rate and out of 12 guys at work that read it, 8 quit.

the physical addiction of tobacco can be gone in less than a week, its the mental addiction only that has to be overcome

it sounds corny, but read it rather than wasting money on quitting gimmiks
that are are making tobacco co.s rich

xxxx2222

Someone had a book at work years ago about how to quit smoking written by Allen Carr and thats exactly what this book states..it changes your thinking and attutude. I read it with skepticism but it actually worked fro me 10 years ago. It boasted a 75% success rate and out of 12 guys at work that read it, 8 quit.

the physical addiction of tobacco can be gone in less than a week, its the mental addiction only that has to be overcome

it sounds corny, but read it rather than wasting money on quitting gimmiks

that are are making tobacco co.s rich

Read The Very Same!!! Highly Recomoned IT! The guy who wrote it smoked 4 packs a Day to ZERO, Overnight!

Read it with an open Mind & it changes how you think about it. Worked for ME!!

RJ Reynolds died of pancreatic cancer, FWIW.

Just remember, You are not a smoker. You don't do that anymore.

Go the gym!! The rush you get from exercise will replace that nicotine craving during stress, and the effects of smoking while exercising will be a strong reminder of your need to quit!

Maybe, maybe not..I trust the tobacco people as much as the common crook, lol

Steve Jobs died of that too--we are told...sounds much better then something like lung cancer or AIDS..doesn't it. Medical records are private and doctors respect people's privacy. Heck you could even tell your friends and family its something else--like pancreatic cancer...just saying.

Good luck kicking the habit, remember to stay strong and yeah keep your hands busy, like typing on internet forums

I tried everything and Chantax was the only thing that worked. They tasted like cardboard for that 1st week. It has been well over 3 years now and counting. I get pissed easy and sometimes want to kill something but that is from not smoking not the pills from years ago. lol

I've smoked for a long time but that stuff -- and most of the other "medications" advertised on television -- scares me more than the cigarettes do. From drugs.com, these are JUST the psychiatric side effects ...

Insomnia (19%), abnormal dreams (9% to 13%), sleep disorder (2%), and nightmare (2%). Anxiety, depression, emotional disorder, irritability, restlessness, aggression, agitation, disorientation, dissociation, decreased libido, mood swings, abnormal thinking, bradyphrenia, euphoric mood, hallucination, psychotic disorder, suicidal ideation, and erratic behavior have also been reported. Depressed mood, agitation, changes in behavior, and suicide have been reported during postmarketing experience. At least one case of varenicline-induced manic episode has also been reported, in addition to a case of exacerbation of schizophrenia.

And it gets better!!! Read on .........

Nervous system side effects: headaches (10.3% to 19%), dysgeusia (8%), fatigue, malaise, asthenia, somnolence, and lethargy. Attention disturbances, dizziness, sensory disturbance, amnesia, migraine, parosmia, psychomotor hyperactivity, restless legs syndrome, syncope, tremor, balance disorder, cerebrovascular accident, convulsion, dysarthria, facial palsy, mental impairment, multiple sclerosis, nystagmus, impairment of psychomotor skills, transient ischemic attack, visual field defect, and drowsiness have been reported.

Respiratory side effects have frequently included influenza (3.2% to 5.8%), rhinorrhea, dyspnea, and upper respiratory tract disorder. Epistaxis, respiratory disorders, asthma, pleurisy, and pulmonary embolism have also been reported.

Dermatologic side effects have frequently included rash and pruritus. Hyperhidrosis, acne, dermatitis, dry skin, eczema, erythema, psoriasis, urticaria, and photosensitivity reaction have also been reported.

Metabolic side effects have frequently included increased or decreased appetite and anorexia. Hyperlipidemia, hypokalemia, hyperkalemia, hypoglycemia, and increased weight have also been reported.

Hematologic side effects have included anemia, lymphadenopathy, leukocytosis, thrombocytopenia, and splenomegaly.

Cardiovascular side effects have included angina pectoris, arrhythmia, bradycardia, ventricular extrasystoles, myocardial infarction, palpitations, tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, cardiac flutter, coronary artery disease, cor pulmonale, abnormal electrocardiogram, acute coronary syndrome, hypertension, hypotension, peripheral ischemia, and thrombosis.

Endocrine side effects have included thyroid gland disorders and diabetes mellitus. At least one case of pituitary hemorrhage has also been reported.

Ocular side effects have included conjunctivitis, dry eye, eye irritation, blurred vision, visual disturbance, eye pain, acquired night blindness, transient blindness, cataract subcapsular, ocular vascular disorder, photophobia, and vitreous floaters.

Hypersensitivity side effects including seasonal allergy (2.6% to 5.9%) have been reported.

Genitourinary side effects have included abnormal urine analysis, polyuria, nocturia, urine abnormality, urinary retention, menstrual disorder, erectile dysfunction, and sexual dysfunction. At least one case of ovarian hematoma has also been reported.

Musculoskeletal side effects have included arthralgia, back pain, muscle cramp, musculoskeletal pain, myalgia, arthritis, osteoporosis, and myositis.

Renal side effects have included nephrolithiasis, urethral syndrome, and acute renal failure. At least one case of elevated blood creatinine has also been reported.

Immunologic side effects commonly reported have included nasopharyngitis (35.9% to 51%), bronchitis, sinusitis, fungal infection, and viral infection.

Hepatic side effects including abnormal liver function tests have been reported.

Other side effects have included tinnitus, vertigo, deafness, Meniere's disease, chest pain, influenza-like symptoms, edema, thirst, chest discomfort, chills, pyrexia, increased muscle enzyme, and hot flash. At least one case of feeling abnormal has been reported, in addition to a case of elevated aspartate aminotransferase, two cases of elevated alanine aminotransferase, and one case of elevated blood bilirubin.

Of course, as your and MommaCat's friend I will support your decisions wholeheartedly and commend you on your efforts. But if you wanna talk ... I'll be over here in the Smoking Section. I'll quit someday I'm sure, but not with the help of that ****.

There's one side effect of smoking that I can't ignore anymore. The look on my 7 year old's face every time I light up. The tears in his eyes when he asks when his mom and I are going to quit. I would go through any one of those symptoms that you listed if it meant that I can make my son happy that his mom and I have quit smoking. That's my motivation. And because of that, I know I can do it. I know WE can do it!

I do have to relate one of the dreams I had while I've been on this stuff. We were having a gathering of friends and family at my house, and I looked out the front window right about the time that somebody pulled up out front in a gold, 2 door, 70 Dart. The dream quickly progressed into a nightmare as I realized the guy didn't know how to parallel park. He angled it too much and hit the tree in my yard with his rear bumper pretty hard. Twice. Idiot.

Congrats to those who have quit, and best of luck to those who want to. I've never smoked, so I guess I don't know how hard it must be. What I do know is that I lost a friend today who is one of the best men I have ever known. He was a member of the generation that came up in the late 50's and early 60's....and more of those folks smoked than didn't. Earl died of COPD around 2 pm today. Smoking isn't a character flaw, it's just a bad habit, and Earl was living proof of that. I'll miss him. Please quit if you can, cause somebody will miss you like I will miss my ol buddy Earl.

There's one side effect of smoking that I can't ignore anymore. The look on my 7 year old's face every time I light up. The tears in his eyes when he asks when his mom and I are going to quit. I would go through any one of those symptoms that you listed if it meant that I can make my son happy that his mom and I have quit smoking. That's my motivation. And because of that, I know I can do it. I know WE can do it!

Good for you. You also have to thing about the second hand smoke you are subjecting him too.

Also look about any medication and you will now find list like that. They are doing that to try to prevent lawsuits even though a very small precentage of people may be affected.

Congrats to those who have quit, and best of luck to those who want to. I've never smoked, so I guess I don't know how hard it must be. What I do know is that I lost a friend today who is one of the best men I have ever known. He was a member of the generation that came up in the late 50's and early 60's....and more of those folks smoked than didn't. Earl died of COPD around 2 pm today. Smoking isn't a character flaw, it's just a bad habit, and Earl was living proof of that. I'll miss him. Please quit if you can, cause somebody will miss you like I will miss my ol buddy Earl.
Sorry for the loss.

Sorry for your loss.

I type slow and you posted this as I was getting my post right.

If You Really Want to for Him, You Will Do It, but also do it for YOU!!! You Can DO IT!!! I Have Been There & Beat The Monster!!!

Just keep thinking when you think of lighting up, "I Won't Feed The Monster" It Gets easier every Day!!

I was a smoker for about 40 years. Decided to quit, went to group hypnosis, didn't work. Private hypnotherapy, didn't work. Patch made me sick. Problem was, I enjoyed smoking, and didn't really want to quit, even though I knew I should. Finally one day I decided, I "WANTED" to quit. That is the key. You have to want to quit. What I had done prior was want someone/something force me to quit, against my will. I quit cold turkey, by denying myself a smoke, one minute/hour/day at a time. Once I quit, After about 2 weeks, I was not bothered by others smoking, except for the bad smell. 15yrs smoke free.

Well put and congratulations Charrlie :glasses7:

Don't like to blow my own horn but I quit 8 days ago. Cold turkey with the help of a book "Never Take Another Puff". I know it sounds corny but the book educated me on all the crap I was putting into my body every time I lit up. As others have said, you have to want to quit. This is the one time in your life you to be totally selfish, you have to do it for YOU! I'm not going to say its easy, after 32 yrs, it certainly is not.
In my experience I would stay away from all the stop smoking aids like the patch, gum or any other niccotene replacement. That stuff just keeps niccotene in your system and thats what you're addicted to. By taking that stuff you're just prolonging the withdrawl. You gotta go cold turkey, after 72 hrs the cravings will subside and after two weeks the niccotene will be completely out of your system. Drink lots of acidic liquid like orange and cranberry juice, these help carry niccotene from your system. Don't mean to sound preachy but thats how I'm doing it, its working so far.
Good Luck...and remember, Never take another puff.

-
Back