1963 Valiant V200 Wagon

-
I love you wagon, sure I've seen it somewhere local. Was it at the Wine Country races during 'Bacon Fest"?

when was that. it was originally from cambell. but hasnt been on the road since 1988 untill last week when i got it back together. now its up in hayward.

Just found this thread. Great work! It makes me wish I had done something like this before the house, jobs,wife and kids. I can't get 2 solid hours on the car.
Of course I'm also a sucky mechanic so it takes me 2x longer than most.
Good luck with it.

surging at high way speed ?? is that the only time ?? could be fuel starvation,,filter in correct direction ?? or plugged ??? sock on pick up tube in take in good condition ? or are you sucking it closed at high way speeds??

the filter is in the right direction and all my fuel lines, tank, and sending unit are new. unless i have a defective sending unit maybe. i need to pull the plugs and see whats going on. i am also having a problem with it idling while in gear now, it seems like a vacuum leak, but when i hook up a vacuum gauge it reads 19. should i take this reading in nuetral or with the car in gear?

my plans for tomorrow are to first check the float levels, i bought the clear plugs so i can check it while running without have to open the plugs. then take it for a quick spin on the freeway, bring it back and see what the plugs say. also while its hot, i can check valves since i have a few that still sound bit noisy. what would be the best way to check for a vacuum leak. is carb cleaner the best thing to spray on it? or would i even be reading 19 on my vacuum gauge if i had a leak. wouldnt the gauge read low? sorry for the dumb questions. this is all a learning lesson for me. i like bolting things together better than tuning hehe.

my plans for tomorrow are to first check the float levels, i bought the clear plugs so i can check it while running without have to open the plugs. then take it for a quick spin on the freeway, bring it back and see what the plugs say. also while its hot, i can check valves since i have a few that still sound bit noisy. what would be the best way to check for a vacuum leak. is carb cleaner the best thing to spray on it? or would i even be reading 19 on my vacuum gauge if i had a leak. wouldnt the gauge read low? sorry for the dumb questions. this is all a learning lesson for me. i like bolting things together better than tuning hehe.

my favorite methods for checking vacuum leaks are:

1) Propane torch.Dont light it! Just crack the torch valve and direct the gas at where you think the leak is. Propane sould smooth the idle and the engine may pick up some rpm due to the extra fuel if you have a leak.

2)soapy water in a spray bottle. The water should bubble whereever you have a leak. It likely wont affect the idle much if at all

i have decided that tuning carbs is not fun. its actually a little frustrating. im going to find someone i can bug to help me. i just cant seem to get this thing to idle right. maybe its a timing thing. but dont have enough experience with it. i did get it back to idling. but i can hear it missing while it idles. grrr.

Hey I just found your thread on the wagon. I didn't know that you had been working on it so long. My wife saw it for the first time last week and even she thought that it looked like a cool ride. You did good......=P~=P~

hey guy, i got some pictures from the guy that use to own my wagon. these are pictures of where the car sat in a sideyard for 20 years before he found it. he said it was up to the rockers in pine needles. the last picture was when he was storing it at his apartment complex.

oliver.jpg

oliver2.jpg

home1gp.jpg

yup, i bought the car off (redfastback) his shop is over in emeryville/oakland. i live in pittsburg, out by antioch but am always in the bay area. that is where i work and my dad lives.

I am the proud new owner of a 65 Dart Wagon down in So Cal. I lived up in Oakland for about 10 years. I miss it. They seem to apreciate these kinds of cars more up there.

Mine is looks to be in simular shape body-wise. Your interior is nicer though.
I got mine from a guy who only had it for a month. His mechanic friend owed him some money. The mechanic had had it for over 12 years. At some point he put a 4 speed stick in it. All the wiring is good and I drove it home for $1000.

Now the work begins. Your thread is very inspirational. Thanx

no problem. the front clips and interior are a little different, but mechanically they are the same. if you have any questions let me know.

i havent been doing much to the wagon lately besides driving it everywhere. i put 2500 miles on it in the last 2 months. with no problems at all. i did add a pcv valve to it, i was getting alot of oil coming out of the breather. the pcv fixed that though. i am moving this weekend. so we have been busy packing stuff up and getting things in order. once we get moved and settled in i would like to start some bodywork on the wagon. but the old lady wants her own car now, so i am also busy looking for that. i told her we have to get her something that actaully runs and doesnt need to be completely rebuilt, because i dont want to start another project before the wagon is done. i will try to post some pictures up later. take care!

2500 miles very kool,,, the gas stations are loving you,,glad its been trouble free,, good luck with ur move,,,and hope to see more on ur wagon soon

Way to go Aaron! 2500 trouble free miles shows you did a great job. Im glad your enjoying the wagon after all the hard work. You deserve it! I'll assume that lovely young girlfriend is a constant ride along..

i just "read" your photos! i am a picture guy. thank you, thank you for posting your wagon build. it is a beautiful work. i dig the tire combo and am amazed at what you pulled out for pistons. i hope to have a /wagon some day sooner than later.

my car to your car, keep it up.

Glad to hear you have got some seat time in your wagon :cheers:=P~=P~
Feels good don't it :-D
Stay the course and enjoy, I hope the move went well.:cheers:

Hey Slantscamp

Two questions;
1. Who's wiring harness did you install?
2. Are you still happy with you choice of wiring harness

Bear

well its been a while since i have posted any progress on the wagon. i havent been doing much to it other than driving it as much as possible. we put 7,000 miles on it last year, but i pulled the engine a few weeks ago to start the supercharger project. so i just got my electric fan and line loc in the mail yesterday. next monday i should get my new lower pulley, and then i can send it out to have my blower pulleys made. i also have floor pans on the way so i can take care of that while the car is apart.

-
Back