1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Gary Goers number for the "L"-shaped '65 hood-to-radiator-support seal is W81. (How's your cowl-to-hood seal? His W66A)

Thanks Dan! I checked and that seems to be the right one. However I have one question for you; it seems like they sell the clips that holds the seal separately! The seal on 65 Dart all have the clips stapled into/through the rubber seal. They have some kind of staples which is the same as that once that that holds the seal to the inner fender splash shields.

What did your looked like Dan?

Today hopefully the last box of items/screws with new finish arrived from Eric in US. Now I can say that all lose parts, screws, bolts, nuts etc has been giving the right finish in US!

One part that I haven't mounted is the seal that goes against the quarter window. Now with correct screws it was done in an eye blink!

Now one thing that I cannot find; the rivets that holds the inner ash tray to the outer plate! Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 662
  • 004.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 657
  • 005.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 655
Thanks Dan! I checked and that seems to be the right one. However I have one question for you; it seems like they sell the clips that holds the seal separately! The seal on 65 Dart all have the clips stapled into/through the rubber seal. They have some kind of staples which is the same as that once that that holds the seal to the inner fender splash shields.

What did your looked like Dan?

Errrrrr...good question. It's been enough years since I bought mine that I don't remember 100%, but I am about 90% sure it came with the clips already installed and all I had to do was take it out of the box and install it on the car.

Now one thing that I cannot find; the rivets that holds the inner ash tray to the outer plate! Any suggestions?

Yeah, quit smoking! *LOL*

I have used the WD40 for quite a while but I yesterday also added some other grease on spray. I Think it might last a Little bit longer! Thanks for the warning Dan!

I tightened all the bolts on the exhaust system except to the exhaust flange on the manifolds. Needs to be two!

However I got the package from Brad's NOS with NOS gasket and plug for the rear end cover. I need to get signal red for the plug since it was painted red in the bottom. Not sure what it stands for though!

I believe the red paint was used on all "critical" fasteners. I believe we've talked about how it was used on brake components and elsewhere in the car where the fastener involved a component that was crucial to the safe operation of the vehicle. In the case of the rear axle plug, if the plug were to come out, the rear end could ultimately lock up causing a serious control problem.

As to the orientation of the exhaust clamps, I checked the 1964 and 1970 (I don't have '65 thru '69) and all of them show the clamps with the nuts down. Interestingly on the 1964 V8 exhaust pipe, the right rear bolt at the manifold is installed with the bolt head down, while all others have it up. I believe there was some sort of clearance issue on the flange of the manifold. The '64 manual also showed a retaining clip on the right front bolt. If I had to guess, I would say there was likely a small machined flat area on the flange of the manifold and this clip would help to keep the head of the bolt from spinning as the nut was run up from underneath. As I said, I don't have a 1965 book so I don't know if this practice was carried over.

Dan! I have treated the hole system with WD40 to prevent rust. Since the hole system is NOS it was indeed some old grease on it which has kept the systemin great shape. But I talked to some restoration shops and they all agreed upon using WD40 for protection.

Today I was able to get the hole system in Place and that felt good. On the tall pipe between the Y-pipe and the muffler I found some blue markings as well as the tejp. Remember that Dart and Valiant/Barracuda had 2" difference in lenght so I guess that was the way to make Life easier for the staff at the assembly line.

I have one question on the exhaust system. Which way was the ends on the U-bolts pointing? My idea is that they were pointing down wards. The reason would be that it was easier to use the power tools to tighten the bolts and nuts!

Ulf, if you're treating the entire exhaust system with WD-40 or any other petroleum based material, does this mean that you will not be driving the car ? It's virtually guaranteed that you're going to have a really smokey stinky car if you drive it with that stuff on the pipes. It will burn off as you heat the exhaust system up. In checking the Gibbs material referenced in another post, according to the MSDS sheet, it will likely burn off as well.

I believe the red paint was used on all "critical" fasteners. I believe we've talked about how it was used on brake components and elsewhere in the car where the fastener involved a component that was crucial to the safe operation of the vehicle. In the case of the rear axle plug, if the plug were to come out, the rear end could ultimately lock up causing a serious control problem.

As to the orientation of the exhaust clamps, I checked the 1964 and 1970 (I don't have '65 thru '69) and all of them show the clamps with the nuts down. Interestingly on the 1964 V8 exhaust pipe, the right rear bolt at the manifold is installed with the bolt head down, while all others have it up. I believe there was some sort of clearance issue on the flange of the manifold. The '64 manual also showed a retaining clip on the right front bolt. If I had to guess, I would say there was likely a small machined flat area on the flange of the manifold and this clip would help to keep the head of the bolt from spinning as the nut was run up from underneath. As I said, I don't have a 1965 book so I don't know if this practice was carried over.

From start it looks like the plug was painted and then added a dot just inside the plug. I'm not sure if the plug was in Place when the axle was painted of if they painted the axle added the oil and then mounted a plug with red paint on as a proof of the rear axle was filled. Not sure what they did.

Re the exhaust clamp I Think you are right that the ends where pointing downwards. That would make it easier touse the Power Tools when the torqued the exhaust clamp.

Ulf, if you're treating the entire exhaust system with WD-40 or any other petroleum based material, does this mean that you will not be driving the car ? It's virtually guaranteed that you're going to have a really smokey stinky car if you drive it with that stuff on the pipes. It will burn off as you heat the exhaust system up. In checking the Gibbs material referenced in another post, according to the MSDS sheet, it will likely burn off as well.

Honestly I will drive it some day! But, when doing OE judging you can't drive around it as it should be totally assembly line fresh. When I start drive the car it will probably be a stinking car! LOL But I think it will be about a year away...!:banghead:

When the cars was assembled at the plant and ready for shipping all cars had some stuff in small bags. Not sure where they put it but my guess is in the trunk.

From what I know off following parts were in plastic bags;

- Front license plate attaching parts
- Rear license plate attacing parts

But what about;

- Owners manual
- Front license plate bracket
- Windshild wiper/washer tag
- Chrysler Air Conditioning broschure
- Cars ordered with seat belts

I know there must be some parts that always ended up in the trunk. So any help is appriciated. Thanks FABO!

When the cars was assembled at the plant and ready for shipping all cars had some stuff in small bags. Not sure where they put it but my guess is in the trunk.

From what I know off following parts were in plastic bags;

- Front license plate attaching parts
- Rear license plate attacing parts

But what about;

- Owners manual
- Front license plate bracket
- Windshild wiper/washer tag
- Chrysler Air Conditioning broschure
- Cars ordered with seat belts

I know there must be some parts that always ended up in the trunk. So any help is appriciated. Thanks FABO!

I think I'm fairly safe in saying that the owner's manual and any other paper items would be shipped in the glove box and anything involving actual hard parts would have come in the trunk (including hubcaps and/or wheelcovers). Cars ordered with seat belts would have had them installed by the factory if they were ordered with the car. Seat belts installed later by the dealer would have just come through the parts department.

I think I'm fairly safe in saying that the owner's manual and any other paper items would be shipped in the glove box and anything involving actual hard parts would have come in the trunk (including hubcaps and/or wheelcovers). Cars ordered with seat belts would have had them installed by the factory if they were ordered with the car. Seat belts installed later by the dealer would have just come through the parts department.

Thanks! Much appriciated. The factory invoice was it always attached on the inside of the quarter window on the driver side?

After one week vacation I really cooled down from the last minute work on the car. Now it's just a matter of time.

On the way from the airport I was able to pick up the battery. I left the battery with my friend Sven Grenholm, a truly hot rodder, and he did a great job on charging the battery. He put in acid and left it for a couple of days and then carefully charging it so now I can use that battery. The judges allow one year prior to the build date on the car and this batteri is made (or at least the bakelit body) August 1964.

I also found a NOS battery holder some years ago. Was the smaller rods silver zinc in color? The longer once were black phosphated for sure. The wing nuts should be silver zinc. BUT, was there washers under the wing nuts?

I was also able to mount the hood silencer. Since there is no heat pressured hood silencer on the market this is as close as I can get. But, I ran out of NOS clips!!:banghead:

Well I found some and know they are on their way from US.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 531
  • 004.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 513
  • 001.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 541
I agree it is a nuisance that the currently-available hood insulation pads are flat rather than die-cut to fit closely to the underhood cross-bracing. Seems to me a tool could be made to cut the reliefs, but it would be a big project.

I'm amazed that ancient battery came to life! Hope you took close, sharp pictures of the label on all sides, for later reproduction.

(Also, I think the case is hard rubber, not bakelite)

I agree it is a nuisance that the currently-available hood insulation pads are flat rather than die-cut to fit closely to the underhood cross-bracing. Seems to me a tool could be made to cut the reliefs, but it would be a big project.

I'm amazed that ancient battery came to life! Hope you took close, sharp pictures of the label on all sides, for later reproduction.

(Also, I think the case is hard rubber, not bakelite)

I wonder if Jim at Detroit Musclecar Tech will do them. It would be a blast!

Re the battery I'm glad it worked.50 years old!!! Wow, genuine Chrysler quality!

The tags is pictured and will be keep safe for future reproduction.

Today besides some birthday celebration I managed to do fillup the engine oil,transmission oil, power steering fluid and the brake fluid. Tomorrow will be some small stuff before taking the car to Emtings where they will do the front wheel alignment and adjust the headlights.

Then I mounted the trunk letters as well as the package tray clips. I also got a package last week. Inside was a NOS right rear Wheel well moulding that I've searched for years. Thanks to my buddy Johan who found it on Ebay!

Then off to state inspection.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 468
  • 002.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 481
  • 003.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 469
would be interesting to see a list of the NOS parts you have used Ulf.....it's been unbeleivable just how much has been found for this car.....

I hope the oil containers were date correct. Just kidding.

I did my best but didn't succed!! Dañg!

However after a three hour nervbreaking last minute job I finally started the car!!! Yipii! I ran oit of gad but what a relief! I'll see if my son Kevin can film tomorrow when we load her up!

After one week vacation I really cooled down from the last minute work on the car. Now it's just a matter of time.

On the way from the airport I was able to pick up the battery. I left the battery with my friend Sven Grenholm, a truly hot rodder, and he did a great job on charging the battery. He put in acid and left it for a couple of days and then carefully charging it so now I can use that battery. The judges allow one year prior to the build date on the car and this batteri is made (or at least the bakelit body) August 1964.

I also found a NOS battery holder some years ago. Was the smaller rods silver zinc in color? The longer once were black phosphated for sure. The wing nuts should be silver zinc. BUT, was there washers under the wing nuts?

I was also able to mount the hood silencer. Since there is no heat pressured hood silencer on the market this is as close as I can get. But, I ran out of NOS clips!!:banghead:

Well I found some and know they are on their way from US.

I'm quite certain there were no washers under the wing nuts. The rubberized coating was thick and soft enough that the wingnuts would bed themselves into the coating. That would prevent them from backing off.

I'm quite certain there were no washers under the wing nuts. The rubberized coating was thick and soft enough that the wingnuts would bed themselves into the coating. That would prevent them from backing off.

Thanks Kevin! That was good news.

Today I added some water and fuel and as a matter of fact drove the car for the first time since exactly 10 years ago!! Wow, what a feeling. Me and my oldest son loaded up the car for transport to Ettings Maskin & Service where we will adjust the steering and check the emissions.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 430
  • 003.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 403
  • 002.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 410
  • 001.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 409
WAAAAAA-HOO!!!
redbeard.gif

That is even more gorgeous out in the open. I will be looking forward to seeing it at hopefully the Mopar Nationals in August!

An amazing achievement after all those years to actually start and drive the car out of the garage, I'm really impressed of the work you completed.

Thanks guys for the comments!

Now the front end is ligned up by Etting Maskin & Service. Emanuel and Jim performed a great job. My son Kevin added some water and oil in the rear end. Now it's time for state inspection tomorrow!!

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 383
  • 010.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 348
  • 009.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 363
  • 007.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 356
  • 005.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 365
  • 004.jpg