1970 Dart Swinger FINALLY UNDERWAY

-
That's good to know, I was actually going to paint the fenders, hood, and doors on sawhorses. I've seen lots of pro shops do that though but it does make sense that spraying it at different angles would change the way the paint lays down.

That's good to know, I was actually going to paint the fenders, hood, and doors on sawhorses. I've seen lots of pro shops do that though but it does make sense that spraying it at different angles would change the way the paint lays down.
The reason the "pro shops" can do that is they are "pros" and know how much they put on each part equally.And a high metallica paint is even harder to get a steady coat across panels that are seperated.It helps to go from one to the other while on the car.As needsaseto said being a novice go with the same paint through out.Thats what my intentions are to use the single stage thru out the car and then clear everything if i dont 2 stage it all.

Yeah I had figured as much. I'm going to be going with a 2 stage, I realize it takes a little more skill and it has to be mixed properly but I'm confident that I can do it.

Yeah I had figured as much. I'm going to be going with a 2 stage, I realize it takes a little more skill and it has to be mixed properly but I'm confident that I can do it.
Actaully most base coats go on VERY easy and not as much mixing,just wet sand any runs you might get.Every b/c i've shot laid down smooth but single stage is a different story.

The reason the "pro shops" can do that is they are "pros" and know how much they put on each part equally.And a high metallica paint is even harder to get a steady coat across panels that are seperated.It helps to go from one to the other while on the car.As needsaseto said being a novice go with the same paint through out.Thats what my intentions are to use the single stage thru out the car and then clear everything if i dont 2 stage it all.

Solids are O.K to spray with panels off the car. Might be some variance in the surface finish,but that can be sanded and polished out.

Practice with that new paint gun. The first thing you need to teach yourself is how to adjust it. Slap up some cardboard and get familiar with the controls,always adjust your pattern for your needs as well,ie;For covering big areas you want a nice solid,wide pattern. Change the pattern to match the area your going to paint.

Use about 50% overlap at lthe least,more if the paint covers poorly.

Lay the first coat down light. It helps the next stick. I like to call the first coat "the sticker",lol..
Next coat will be for volume and coverage. Continue laying down coats of base uintil you have good coverage

Once you are happy with the coverage,lay down one more coat. Pull the gun back from the work,as now you just want to float the base down and even out the tone. This coat is where you will get rid of any tiger striping.

Pre prep is the most important phase. Wash that sucker down with wash&wipe,using clean lint free rags. Then tack it down,use as many tacks as you need,and blow all the dust out. If something is flapping while your blowing,remove it or tape it down. You dont want the distraction while your painting.I might have that reversed! Tack first and then wash....

You have to wear paper painters coveralls,please do this. That crap gets on your clothes,and then you throw it in the wash. Now it's in your machine etc..
And disposable nitrile gloves. And a paint resperator.PLEASE! Protect yourself..

I have tons more where that came from...

Solids are O.K to spray with panels off the car. Might be some variance in the surface finish,but that can be sanded and polished out.

Practice with that new paint gun. The first thing you need to teach yourself is how to adjust it. Slap up some cardboard and get familiar with the controls,always adjust your pattern for your needs as well,ie;For covering big areas you want a nice solid,wide pattern. Change the pattern to match the area your going to paint.

Use about 50% overlap at lthe least,more if the paint covers poorly.

Lay the first coat down light. It helps the next stick. I like to call the first coat "the sticker",lol..
Next coat will be for volume and coverage. Continue laying down coats of base uintil you have good coverage

Once you are happy with the coverage,lay down one more coat. Pull the gun back from the work,as now you just want to float the base down and even out the tone. This coat is where you will get rid of any tiger striping.

Pre prep is the most important phase. Wash that sucker down with wash&wipe,using clean lint free rags. Then tack it down,use as many tacks as you need,and blow all the dust out. If something is flapping while your blowing,remove it or tape it down. You dont want the distraction while your painting.I might have that reversed! Tack first and then wash....

You have to wear paper painters coveralls,please do this. That crap gets on your clothes,and then you throw it in the wash. Now it's in your machine etc..
And disposable nitrile gloves. And a paint resperator.PLEASE! Protect yourself..

I have tons more where that came from...

Good advice there. +1 on the respirator. You don't want that crap in your lungs. I change my filters after every paint job.

Yeah this is great info, should help me out a lot thanks! I'm guessing you mean blow all the dust out of the car with the compressor before I start painting. and i think it is tack after wash, I read it's supposed to be done right before paint.

Hey, if I mess up I could always call marcus here eh :evil3:

Real_Good_Paint.jpg

What do you guys think, I'm going to put a bumble bee stripe on the car but since I'm doing a darker F8 green maybe I should go with a white bumble bee stripe instead of a black one. Whatever color the stripe is is the same color the hood and cowl is going to be.

What do you guys think, I'm going to put a bumble bee stripe on the car but since I'm doing a darker F8 green maybe I should go with a white bumble bee stripe instead of a black one. Whatever color the stripe is is the same color the hood and cowl is going to be.
I've seen a few with a light green stripe that looks really good.I would have to see one with a white hood and cowl before I could comment on it.I think the white stripe would look good just not sure of the white hood.But thats just my .02.

Yeah this is great info, should help me out a lot thanks! I'm guessing you mean blow all the dust out of the car with the compressor before I start painting. and i think it is tack after wash, I read it's supposed to be done right before paint.

Hey, if I mess up I could always call marcus here eh :evil3:

Real_Good_Paint.jpg

LOL. That will buff out.

Me I kinda like a Plum Crazy Stripe, Believe me it looks better in person. But that's just me. I think they would put White or Black stripes on them stock. I Vote Plum Crazy!!!

Attachments

• 73DartNewTires06.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 556
  • Dart00.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 557
Hey I applaud Marcus's efforts anyways! At least he's working for what he needs. Results,well..........

I've seen a few with a light green stripe that looks really good.I would have to see one with a white hood and cowl before I could comment on it.I think the white stripe would look good just not sure of the white hood.But thats just my .02.

Yeah that was my only concern was the hood, I know the bumble bee stripe will look good but I have no idea about the hood. I'll try to find one that I can photoshop the hood white on and see how it looks.

Me I kinda like a Plum Crazy Stripe, Believe me it looks better in person. But that's just me. I think they would put White or Black stripes on them stock. I Vote Plum Crazy!!!

hey bkd do you have any more pics of your car? I want to paint my car F8 but it's hard to find pictures of F8 green darts. :thumbup:

(^ oops, meant to edit this into the post up there ^)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I love the license plate and it fits well with "two scoops"
That made my day lol.

I'm trying to come up with something silly for the dart, been thinking maybe a "JDM" sticker somewhere just to get the double takes of what the hell. :salute:

HAHAHA That's a good one, look forward to reading and seeing more progress to yours, love it so far.
Brad

Some more pics, fenders and doors are back off for final sanding and primer and the patch panel on the drivers side dog leg is in. Inner fenders are fully welded now along with the passenger quarter and rear crossmember. Car is starting to get seam sealed and should be in primer and back in my garage by the end of next week.

*que jaws theme*

In non-body related news I've added another chapter to my book entitled "Hi my Name is Eric, and I Have Bad Ideas" and other incredible stories. This chapter is titled "Turbocharger - Lets Put One On Because Racecar"

Just bought it from pishta over in the for sale section, good deal so I said why not. Don't have it yet but I'm posting a pic from the ad because I'm excited. :bounce:

DSC00337.jpg

12012011728.jpg

12012011729.jpg

12012011730.jpg

12012011731.jpg

You asked about original F4 paint. Here are some pictures of my Dart.
I'm very happy with the paint color.

Attachments

• GEDC0032 (Custom).JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_0417 (Custom).JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0416 (Small).JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 518
I really need a pic of an F8 car sitting next to an F4 car... It's hard to tell the difference.

All I know is my car was originally F4 and the color sprayed on the inside of the deck lid looked more like a puke green than your car... thats what made me decide on the F8.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

I imagined an OSHA certificate and where the business name usually goes it just says "marcus"
I had a good laugh at that :king:

UPDATE:
Thursday is going to be a very good day for me, I got work off, the dart should be coming home that day, it's the delivery date for my turbo, and then I'm going to the bruins - panthers game in boston that night. As charlie sheen would say, "winning!"

Some more pics

12012011729.jpg

I spy, with my little eye, a lack of subframe connectors, which may be a blessing in disguise. Before the subframes are bolted or welded on, PLEASE make sure car is sitting on four tires, or at least supported at all four corners as if it was on its tires. I know many people put subframe connectors on their cars while it is on a rotisserie (sure is a hell of a lot easier). While it may not make a HUGE difference, it is usually best to weld them on while the car is sitting in its natural state (no, not with the rear tires planted and front tires in the air, contrary to popular belief).
Hopefully I'm not too late on this one...

-
Back