2010 mustang goes 8.97@153..

-
Certainly don't mean to offend anybody, but if I wanted a Mustang I could have bought 2 of them. I bought the SRT8 version if the Chally, and still love to look at it, even parked next to my 69 Charger and 68 notch. If you like Mustangs, great. There is a pretty big weight difference. But if you have to boost a Mustang to get it to run, then I think that's pretty weak. Although, yes the Chally could have been engineered better in the weight department. My apologies to those offended about Mustangs on what I thought was a Mopar site.

You don't have to boost a stang' to get it to run..theres plenty of stock ones running low 13's...i don't think anyone is offended this is a Mopar site,i just don't like the new challenger..and i see i'm not alone on that..

You don't have to boost a stang' to get it to run..theres plenty of stock ones running low 13's...i don't think anyone is offended this is a Mopar site,i just don't like the new challenger..and i see i'm not alone on that..

You may not be alone, just in the minority..............

just wondering if you really think that the drag pack challenger is going to run in the 8's without some boost??? what does it take for a 3200 pound car to run 9 flat, somewhere in the area of 900 hp? i seriously doubt you will ever see a 6.1 hemi making that without a power adder of sorts.....

I don't think anyone thinks that. I just read a little piece in Car Craft this morning about a Charger running 9.47 @ 153 with a super charged 6.1 and this car still had a full interior and was street legal. The Challenger Drag Pak car is going to be over 1000 lbs lighter, with the same engine it will be in the 8's.

The original post implied you could go to your local Ford dealer an buy a Cobra Jet Mustang and take it to the track and run 8 seconds. The car is delivered with a 475 HP motor so that is hardly the case.

As moper stated and I tried to state it's only when these cars are running in the same class to the same rules will you be able to make any real comparisons as to the perfromance. I believe they will be comparable.

As for appearance I like all three of the new pony cars and would be very happy to own anyone of them. But there are things about the appearance of all three I don't like and just from a pure asthetics standpoint the Mustang would get my vote. If I were to consider one of these cars to buy it would have to be as a year round daily driver and I could not justify the GT, the SRT8 or the SS for that application. The Camaro with the 300HP v6 and 6 spd manual that gets 30 mpg would get my nod.

I like Mustangs.

But I also like Mopar, and older GM (Just hate the newer GMs).:toothy10:

cars.jpg

I don't think anyone thinks that. I just read a little piece in Car Craft this morning about a Charger running 9.47 @ 153 with a super charged 6.1 and this car still had a full interior and was street legal. The Challenger Drag Pak car is going to be over 1000 lbs lighter, with the same engine it will be in the 8's.

The original post implied you could go to your local Ford dealer an buy a Cobra Jet Mustang and take it to the track and run 8 seconds. The car is delivered with a 475 HP motor so that is hardly the case.

As moper stated and I tried to state it's only when these cars are running in the same class to the same rules will you be able to make any real comparisons as to the perfromance. I believe they will be comparable.

As for appearance I like all three of the new pony cars and would be very happy to own anyone of them. But there are things about the appearance of all three I don't like and just from a pure asthetics standpoint the Mustang would get my vote. If I were to consider one of these cars to buy it would have to be as a year round daily driver and I could not justify the GT, the SRT8 or the SS for that application. The Camaro with the 300HP v6 and 6 spd manual that gets 30 mpg would get my nod.
sorry i did not spend 20 minutes typing out EXACTLY what I meant. allow me to rephrase it at this point, the Mustang is a drag car that has developed, rather quickly, from a decent performer into a hard running car. i find the fact that it runs in the 8's only 2 years or so after its release impressive, especially given the fact of the relatively small slicks. i do not care who built the car, i find it impressive. in no way did i mean that the Mustang was going to 8.9 right off the show room floor, however, I did mean that you could at least race it with minimal work, unlike the Challenger, which to the best of my knowledge does not run, has no workable transmission nor rear suspension in it. While there is no doubt in my mind the Challenger will run equally as hard, to date, it has not. As far as the looks of the car, find it funny that people argue over beauty is in the eye of the beholder. it is funny how people misinterpret and spin others comments to fit, but then forget other things that are said, I believe I also said that i would not have cared if it was a frigging Nash, it is still impressive that they were able to get the car into the 8's this quickly. this is what I find impressive, that someone was able to take a car, and with just 2 years of development, get it to run this hard. by the way, not that it should matter to anybody, but i think the new Mustang/Camaro and Challenger are all FUGLY.....

Well I have yet to be in my bro's chally 500 (srt-8) so I cant tell you what thats like. My buddy at work bought a new camero and it is stupid fast.

I may be going to the coast soon to see my family.We will see if I can convince my brother to bring out the challey. Runs 13 flat with no mods!

this mustang is impressive no doubt, but like already said the challenger cannot be compared to it until they are actually raced in the same class.

that said however, the challenger does come less complete from what i have read on many places on the net and on build threads for the dragpak cars...i might get a lot of flack for this, but in my opinion mopar's performance division is behind GM and Ford and has been sucking this way for a LONG time....how the heck do they expect to compete with the cobrajet mustang cars when their challenger offerring costs more and comes with less?

this mustang is impressive no doubt, but like already said the challenger cannot be compared to it until they are actually raced in the same class.

that said however, the challenger does come less complete from what i have read on many places on the net and on build threads for the dragpak cars...i might get a lot of flack for this, but in my opinion mopar's performance division is behind GM and Ford and has been sucking this way for a LONG time....how the heck do they expect to compete with the cobrajet mustang cars when their challenger offerring costs more and comes with less?

Dont worry Fiat will fix that,lol...Soon we will see turbo charged 4 bangers pouring out of the mopar factories.:angry7:

Dont worry Fiat will fix that,lol...Soon we will see turbo charged 4 bangers pouring out of the mopar factories.:angry7:

it will only get worse you are rite...but lets not kid ourselves, we've been behind for a long time...i love my mopars, but hell factory and even aftermarket support compared to the others is weak at best imo

I'm going to jump in here. Yes the Mustang has come along way quickly, but to compare modern technolgy to 1960's technolgy is where I think you slip up.
To tune the 60's autos is very time consuming, alot of trial & error. To tune the modern stuff, just hooked up the laptop. With the event of the computor, all time tables get moved up. It has also helped the 60's autos progress quit rapidly in the last ten years. Whenever you can make changes on the desktop instead of hands on, everything moves faster.
I feel that Ford has limited itself to where the Mustang can be classed, where as the Dodge boys have tried to make the Challenger to fit several classes, 5.9M, 5.7H, & 6.1H, Kinda like a goverment run company. LOL I couldn't turn that one down.
I think the Challenger is a very good looking car, as long as it isn't parked next to an earlier Challenger. Then it seems a little porky. But it will seat 4 pretty well.
The Mustang I thought was done right out of the box. It held true to the original Stangs, & kicked the originals *** as well. Ford got it. Now the 2010's look odd with pinched down grille & tail lamps, Ford screwed it up. Why do we have to change things?
The Camaro has ok taillamps, great roofline, a front end only a mother could love. I was thinking that this car would have a better look to it, since they were the last one in the game. Not so, must have let the guy that designed the Astec have at it.
I see three different customers for these cars.
Camaro, teens first car, low cost appeal, think Cobalt owner's next step purchase.
Mustang, average young performance & tuner buyer, modern day Hot Rodder.
Challenger, older person wanting comfort, style, performance, & remembers the old days. It doesn't have to be the fastest of the three.
Three distinct cars for the masses.

it will only get worse you are rite...but lets not kid ourselves, we've been behind for a long time...i love my mopars, but hell factory and even aftermarket support compared to the others is weak at best imo

As long as they offer a turbo V6 Im ok with it!

It's all good.Mopar camp needs to move into the future anyways...

i find the fact that it runs in the 8's only 2 years or so after its release impressive, especially given the fact of the relatively small slicks.

Mod motor Mustangs have been running in the 8's for many years, the Cobra Jet at New England Dragway is nothing unique from that standpoint. From the pictures I have seen of them it looks like you get the car with 10.5" slicks, again 8.97 on that tire is not special outlaw 10.5 cars are in the 7's. Really the only unique thing about the Cobra Jet is it's a package sold by Ford verse every other one out there that is running those numbers was built by an individual or private race team.

This is from Car & Driver;

" The 2010 CJ starts as a Mustang V-6 body in white, to which are added fully adjustable drag-specific shocks and springs, manual steering and brakes, a trunk-mounted racing fuel cell, an NHRA-certified roll cage, and a fortified Ford nine-inch axle, among other go-fast bits. Changes for 2010 include optional intercooler cooling fans and a switch from Goodyear/Mickey Thompson rubber to Hoosiers mounted on Weld Racing wheels. Also new is the addition of a rev-limiting launch-control function for CJs with manual transmissions.

A supercharged, 5.4-liter V-8 with a cast-iron block and a conservative 425-hp rating is the standard engine, with optional powertrains including a “475-hp,” aluminum-block version with a larger supercharger, as well as several naturally aspirated V-8s. A six-speed manual gearbox—complete with a burnout-ready line lock—carries over from the 2008 model but can be upgraded to a race-prepped five-speed manual or three- or four-speed automatic, the latter fitted with a transmission brake.

Only 50 examples of the 2010 CJ will be built at the automaker’s Flat Rock, MI, assembly plant, with base cars costing about $75,000 and heavily optioned versions nudging $95K."

Seems to me you could build one for less than the $75-$95 price and that price only gets you a car that runs low 11's maybe high 10's. How much more are you going to have to spend to get it into the 8's?

If you follow Ford drag racing at all you would know that if your 4.6/5.4 mod motor isn't making 600+ HP you aren't trying.

Yea but with 1000+ HP 6.1 dyno runs already in the books it's just a matter of getting it into a car and to the track and there will be.

It's American iron and happens to be built by the only "big" American auto manufacturer that didn't get a hand out from the Feds.

Hat's off to them for building something hellafast in this crappy economy!:burnout:

Q. How long did it take Chrysler to stick a Hemi in a 2 door??

A. Long enough that I bought a 2004 Mustang Mach 1 which runs 13s dead stock and still gets 28MPG highway.

It's American iron and happens to be built by the only "big" American auto manufacturer that didn't get a hand out from the Feds.

Hat's off to them for building something hellafast in this crappy economy!:burnout:

Q. How long did it take Chrysler to stick a Hemi in a 2 door??

A. Long enough that I bought a 2004 Mustang Mach 1 which runs 13s dead stock and still gets 28MPG highway.

Excellent points....by the way will the challenger say sponsered by F.I.A.T. on the side:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Not that I would ever buy a mustang, you have to concede that if not for the "retro" mustang coming out in 2005 we would have NEVER have seen the challenger or camaro. Remember! It was the chrysler bigwigs who defiantly said they have NO plans to make a V8 powered 2 door rear wheel drive car, there is no market for it! Then along gallops a fancy new horsey in 2005 (make that about 170,000 horseys!) and suddenly the mad dash is on between mama mopar and the bowtie boys to produce their own version! I guess there was a market for them after all! Of the three I like the challenger best but I have to say thank you to the mustang for opening a few eyes at chrysler and gm so we can have another choice.

Of the three I like the challenger best but I have to say thank you to the mustang for opening a few eyes at chrysler and gm so we can have another choice.

Ok thank you Mustywang for opening the door. And now THANK YOU MOPAR for getting it right!!!

Wylde1.

2010-camaro-mustang-challenger.jpg

2010-mustang-camaro-challenger.jpg

detroits_muscle_camaro_challenger_mustang_image001.jpg

detroits_muscle_camaro_challenger_mustang_image004.jpg

Nice pictures wylde1! Clearly shows the challenger is the best looking one of the three. Ahh! the curse of being the middle child!

-
Back